Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United - 09/02/13 @ 12:45pm (Live on Sky)

Fenham Mag

Guest neesy111

Skirge and his three at the back.:lol:

Tiote in for Perch, same team otherwise. No-brainer really.

Clearly forgetting that it's been a complete utter disaster whenever we went 3 at the back in the past, no matter who the manager is.  We simply are useless at it.

Probably a stupid idea, but would anyone consider playing Mbiwa at right back to counter the threat of Bale.

No chance, Bale spent yesterday drifting to the right a lot so would be a waste adapting the back four to play him. We just need to make sure he gets cut off early.

We'd be better off assigning a midfielder to man-mark him tbh.

Take a draw, just to keep things ticking along.

I wasn't impressed by Spurs, they seem to be coasting a little. They only really went for the win when WBA were down to ten.

Fancy us to give them a real good game and get a couple of goals.

Guest tollemache

My prediction: Spurs definitely not 5, Newcastle definitely not 0.

Having Jonas follow Bale about might be a good idea actually

Clearly forgetting that it's been a complete utter disaster whenever we went 3 at the back in the past, no matter who the manager is.  We simply are useless at it.

Tbf to Skirge we actually have the players to make it work now, i don't recall a time when we ever did having said that it won't happen.

Besides its more something you practice and try out in pre season rather than in the middle of season tbh.

Yeah get right in Parker's grill, get him wound up and flapping a lot to disrupt him and all of a sudden I think we'll see a lot of space in the middle of the park for our lads to expose.

Right now I think we can give anybody a game, which is such a stark contrast to how I felt walking out of the ground a few weeks ago after Reading. Gonna say 2-2 draw, we can't underestimate Spurs, they are a very good side.

Guest tollemache

Ikon is correct when he says we should press Parker, same goes for their back four.

It struck me yesterday that if you could simultaneously press Parker and mark all his options including the keeper, you'd create a kind of perpetual motion machine, where he'd just turn in a little circle forever.

Ikon is correct when he says we should press Parker, same goes for their back four.

It struck me yesterday that if you could simultaneously press Parker and mark all his options including the keeper, you'd create a kind of perpetual motion machine, where he'd just turn in a little circle forever.

:lol:

Guest tollemache

Tbf to Skirge we actually have the players to make it work now, i don't recall a time when we ever did having said that it won't happen.

Besides its more something you practice and try out in pre season rather than in the middle of season tbh.

It's been a complete and utter disaster with totally different players at a totally different time, yes. To say that Newcastle as a club are just unsuited to three at the back doesn't really work, I don't think.

And 3 at the back is no more something you have to work on in pre-season than any other approach. Wigan changed to 3 at the back mid-season last year, improved considerably and stayed up because of it. Barcelona started bringing it in at the start of 2011/12 and the resulting muddled performances cost them the league. Udinese started doing it mid-season after playing really well with 10 men (3-4-2) in one of their league games, whereupon it became their preferred approach for years. Man City tried to make it their starting approach after last summer and were wank at it. Kenny Dalglish used it a few times when he took over Liverpool post-Hodgson (middle of a season), and it got results. There's just no real pattern to suggest it's complicated enough to require a whole pre-season's work.

For all that, I'm not saying for a second we should do it. I think 4-2-3-1 is just fine for us, even more so after these signings, though I'm still curious about what would happen with Cabaye at the base of a diamond

Can see us scoring a nice counter-attacking goal, Cabaye receiving the ball and quickly release Sissoko and Gouffran in to space with an awesome one touch pass :)

A bit like HBA's goal against Swansea.

Can see us scoring a nice counter-attacking goal, Cabaye receiving the ball and quickly release Sissoko and Gouffran in to space with an awesome one touch pass :)

The one v West Brom wasn't half bad either

Guest icemanblue

:lol:

Fancy us to get something here. Mental strength seems reinvented and Sissoko is a winner out and out. Cabaye's flourishing by his side and his mental strength brought back into the team is of equal importance.

Tioté for Perch, otherwise unchanged please. Defoe loves playing against us so happy he's out.

Hope to god we don't go there to "let our hair down" again.

Ooops! WBA of course ;) HBA put Olsson on his arse so nicely.