Tottenham 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/02/13 - post-match reaction from page 50

Dave

FT: decentish performance, biggest worry is losing Gouffran. Bring on Southampton at home, a must win game.

So was Reading - have you seen Southampton's result v City ? I bet their fans are not moaning about a new manager coming in now...

Better performance than last season, but once again, a defeat and Spurs were deserving of their win.

We were only in the game with a chance of a result until Gouffran went off because he was the only one making dangerous runs that caused their defence any major alarms.

The opening goal was very poor keeping from Krul - even Mark Bosnich picked this up on Aussie Foxtel and said that Krul's positioning had been poor at the free kick. He also blamed Perch for not attempting to jump when in the wall as the kick was taken - both good points.

Krul has been getting complacent recently and I reckon this is because he has no real competition...we should have given more time to Foster to see if he was any good before selling him because Harper is on his way out of the club and Hooper not a PL keeper.

Krul DID make up for his sloppiness later in the game with 2 decent saves from Bale, but the damage was done early on and we had to come from behind - again.

Spurs had clearly done their homework on Sissoko and Santon because both were far less effective than in the last game...Lennon constantly had Santon caught up-field and they were able to catch us out  with cross-field passes, mainly from Bale.

The one time Sissoko really escaped his marker(s)he made the goal for Gouffran who was our main danger up front with his clever runs from deep. Even one of the useless commentators picked this up and said that if anyone had picked Gouffran out on at least 2 occasions, he was in on goal, but nobody did.

Cabaye was good up until HT then he started getting drawn into m/f battles...Spurs kept tabs on him too.

Cisse was hardly ever a threat, but I have gone over this in the thread about him. A major part of our problem is the general lack of movement from forward/m/f players when we win the ball in defence...there are very limited options of players unmarked and available for a pass. This has been the case ALL season with the exception of last week with Gouffran and Sissoko....I lost count of how many times 3 of our players were crowded together on the right as we were attacking late in the game and we inevitably ended up losing possession when better movement off the ball would have created more danger....

Spurs were more mobile all over the pitch and I don't hold that it was only Bale that gave them the result - they moved better off the ball and looked fitter. We could have lost 3 or 4 goals in the second half when we were chasing the game.

The new players we have signed will have learned a valuable lesson today about PL football and that is that you have to be 100% committed in every game - so far, Gouffran looks to have made the transition from French football well, but he wasn't involved for 90 mins. They are too good not to adapt but it will take time. As for Yanga-Mbiwa, I thought he should have been given a good 20 mins, even if that meant taking Colo off...he is leaving in summer whether we like it or not and the new guy was an expensive signing with International caps - we need to know what he can do.

Colo was, unfortunately, involved in the concession of both goals....

We still have a long way to go to match Spurs' league position and there is a lot of work to do in order to stay out of danger - Southampton - our next opponents - proved that with their result against Man C, at least as good a result as ours last week.....

Spurs and Bale profited from two defensive blunders.

It's a decent free kick but Perch didn't jump and it has sailed just over his head. It should have been straight at the wall and no one would even be talking about it.

We were okay and so were Spurs. Defensive blunders decided the game and inevitably most their chances came on the counter as we desperately tried to salvage a result. It's disappointing because Spurs were there for the taking but we were equally lacking in ideas.

In the first half, I thought we played the best football that I've seen from us for a long time - better than last season, in fact. There's room for improvement in certain areas, but we looked to have the nucleus of a good side.

Gouffran's pace and movement is invaluable, really hope he's back for Southampton.

Just as Bale was the difference for them you need a player like HBA in the side for games like this. The chances of getting a draw or win would've much greater with him so we were always up against it going into this match.

A 2-1 loss is not a good result. A draw would have been a good result.

:lol:

The post this was in reference to has been deleted :lol:

Yup! Had a very bad day yesterday and then seeing the glaring error in my post I decided to eat the evidence.

:lol:

Gouffran's pace and movement is invaluable, really hope he's back for Southampton.

Just as Bale was the difference for them you need a player like HBA in the side for games like this. The chances of getting a draw or win would've much greater with him so we were always up against it going into this match.

Excellent post.

Especially as teams will double up on him, yet he has the vision and passing ability to see his team mates in space so this could be just as valuable to us as well as he ability to damage teams in other ways.

After mulling the game over last night, i thought Spurs at times were superb at moving the ball round, players running into space, always seemed to find players with a diagonal ball on either flank.  Lennon was a handful and I thought Bale was unplayable at times.

Having said that they only scored the winner from a moments hesitation between our centre backs.

As for us, after a shaky start I thought we started to get into the game and looked decent,  Second half we looked decent again with some great defending, I thought we could have picked up a 1-1 or as the game progressed and maybe nicked it at the end.

Losing Gouffran seemed like a big loss to our game plan, he offers so much for us and hes only been here a few weeks.

Overall, i thought we were decent/good and ill take a bit of heart from the performance.  Not many teams will get much at WHL this season.  If Spurs had a quality striker they would be pushing Man Utd this season.

Guest Roger Kint

Playing to Obertans legendary physical strengths?  :lol:

Seriously i know what you mean and we did lack for pace that he could have given us. The injury seemed to knock us all to hell tbh.

Someone should have kicked Bale early in the piece, I mean properly gone in hard on him, not the accidental hit that Perch gave him that gave him the opportunity to pull out his BAFTA award winning skills. It seems to me he is going to roll around like an epileptic seal on the beach whether you make contact with him or not......so you might as well give him reason to.

Not sure why the Spurs fans were crying their eyes out when Bale was injured OFF the pitch.  This is getting out of hand now.  If its not a head injury play the fuck on.

:thup:

If you have used all your subs and someone gets injured you don't stop the game! Same as if someone has to go down the tunnel for stitches etc..

He is off the pitch, as far as I am aware the ref isn't the dedicated medical professional in charge of looking after the players and neither are the players. Could have easily been treated with the game carrying on.

Not sure why the Spurs fans were crying their eyes out when Bale was injured OFF the pitch.  This is getting out of hand now.  If its not a head injury play the f*** on.

:thup:

If you have used all your subs and someone gets injured you don't stop the game! Same as if someone has to go down the tunnel for stitches etc..

He is off the pitch, as far as I am aware the ref isn't the dedicated medical professional in charge of looking after the players and neither are the players. Could have easily been treated with the game carrying on.

It opens the game up for any player going down and killing/slowing the game down.  Play the fuck on.

The opening goal was very poor keeping from Krul - even Mark Bosnich picked this up on Aussie Foxtel and said that Krul's positioning had been poor at the free kick. He also blamed Perch for not attempting to jump when in the wall as the kick was taken - both good points.

Krul has been getting complacent recently and I reckon this is because he has no real competition...we should have given more time to Foster to see if he was any good before selling him because Harper is on his way out of the club and Hooper not a PL keeper.

Krul DID make up for his sloppiness later in the game with 2 decent saves from Bale, but the damage was done early on and we had to come from behind - again.

I thought Krul had one or two shaky moments on crosses and clearances, but couldn't be blamed for the goals.

The free kick was over the wall and into the bottom corner of the goal. It could not have been more difficult to save. Krul was covering the other side - as keepers do - then read what Bale was going to do and nearly saved it. Most keepers wouldn't have got anywhere near.

The second goal was unlucky. It went through his legs and 9 times out of 10 it would have hit them. Keepers have to spread themselves and that can always happen.