Tottenham 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 09/02/13 - post-match reaction from page 50

Dave

Why would you decide not to jump?

I assume they think the free kick is too close to the goal to get over the wall and down, so they fear the player hitting it hard and low, in the hope the wall jump over it.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Why would you decide not to jump?

Have you seen free-kicks that go under the wall when the wall jumps? Some keepers prefer the wall to be static an'all so as not to impair their view any further

You've all obviously never played football before. The wall decide before the kick is taken if they're going to jump or not, if anyone's at fault it's jonas cos he did exactly the opposite to the rest. You either all jump, or none jump. We know they talked about it so they'd decided not to jump. Perch did nowt wrong

Sorry to interrupt, but at what level have you played football? When you were 12? Sunday League? Because that's one the biggest bullshits I've heard.

Alliance Prem, University BUPA League, Sheffield local leagues, was at NUFC til I was 14, was the same at every level I've played. The wall decides if it's jumping or not, you don't all make an individual decision

Well thank you for proving my point.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

You've all obviously never played football before. The wall decide before the kick is taken if they're going to jump or not, if anyone's at fault it's jonas cos he did exactly the opposite to the rest. You either all jump, or none jump. We know they talked about it so they'd decided not to jump. Perch did nowt wrong

That's a crock imo. You might decide beforehand, but if the ball is then clearly going over the wall you jump. As if tactics need to come into what is clearly common sense.

You have a reaction time of less than half a second

How does a goalkeeper ever save a shot inside the area then?

Fair point, I guess it's more a point of setting yourself not to do something and then having to change that mindset in a split-second. Get your point though

Guest Howaythetoon

Sorry to interrupt, but at what level have you played football? When you were 12? Sunday League? Because that's one the biggest bullshits I've heard.

Alliance Prem, University BUPA League, Sheffield local leagues, was at NUFC til I was 14, was the same at every level I've played. The wall decides if it's jumping or not, you don't all make an individual decision

In football, you deal or try to deal with whatever is coming your way especially as an individual. In Perch's case a ball aimed towards his head - that had he jumped - would not have ended up in the back of Krul's goal. Just because the wall was told to not jump doesn't mean someone in it shouldn't react or moreover cannot react. That's just stupid and if that's how you were coached/reacted to situations no wonder you never made it.

Anyway, both goals were stupid give-aways as have most of the ones we have conceded this season been. We are an appalling side in defence and indeed in attack hence why where we are in the table.

perch changing his mind, or sticking to plan A 'no jump' shouldnt come into it iMO. Clearing balls like this so close to you is instinctive. Cant believe many pro footballers, moreso at this level , havent got that natural instinct to react to a ball.

Guest neesy111

I can't even remember one goal from a free kick hit under a jumping wall TBH. Seem mental if that's the reason to not jump.

I've seen it once.  Alves v Liverpool Uefa cup final, that's it mind.

Guest Howaythetoon

perch changing his mind, or sticking to plan A 'no jump' shouldnt come into it iMO. Clearing balls like this so close to you is instinctive. Cant believe many pro footballers, moreso at this level , havent got that natural instinct to react to a ball.

If it was Taylor in there and not Perch, that ball would never have ended up in the back of the net simple as that. Perch should have had the riot act read to him after the game by his team-mates and manager. I couldn't believe watching it, it wasn't even a good spot by Bale, he just hit it right but Perch allowed it to whiz straight past him.

Guest neesy111

If it was Taylor in there and not Perch, that ball would never have ended up in the back of the net simple as that. Perch should have had the riot act read to him after the game by his team-mates and manager. I couldn't believe watching it, it wasn't even a good spot by Bale, he just hit it right but Perch allowed it to whiz straight past him.

:sadnod:

Taylor would have found a way to get his bollocks on it

Messi did the under the wall free-kick for Argentina last year, learned it from Ronaldinho who did it a few times.

Bale's better than both of them tbf so it's understandable we were concerned about the possibility.

Taylor would have found a way to get his bollocks on it

that would have been worth seeing.

Funny how people said that Krul's positioning was at fault when Baines, from almost exactly the same position as Bale, leathered it into the top left hand corner at SJP, whilst Bale put it into the bottom right. How can a goalkeeper possibly get his positioning "right" in that scenario? It's not physically possible to stand in one particular position which makes it easy to save any free kick no matter where it's placed or how hard it's hit.

That's why there's a wall there, to make one side much more difficult to put it in with the goalkeeper covering the other. Our wall could have stopped it and failed - everyone laughed at Nasri against Man Utd when he didn't simply move his foot to stop RvP's free kick, Perch was exactly the same. Bale's free kick needed to be something special to get up and down from that position - it wasn't but still did.

I can't believe I'm having to explain this tbh.

The free kick yesterday was hardly lathered (like Baines') it bounced just inside the six yard box and went in halfway up the post, if he get's beaten top corner fine, nowt you can do with them. He had 25 yards to react and he "nearly" got there, stands one foot to his left and he keeps it out, as he is paid to do (but hasn't done much of over this season tbh).

Perch get's the shit becasue he's James Perch, who was also better than Tiote (when he came on) yesterday.

It's laughable, the "shit" players get all the shit the "sexy" players get a free pass, objectivity leaves the room.

Yes I'm blaming Perch because he's Perch, not because the ball went half an inch over his head and he stood still. If it had gone over Cabaye's, I would have also blamed Perch.

Get a grip of yourself you sad act.

I can't even remember one goal from a free kick hit under a jumping wall TBH. Seem mental if that's the reason to not jump.

In fairness - Shearer used to do it quite a bit.

i was going to post shearer but I couldnt remember when, but feel sure he did.

In fairness - Shearer used to do it quite a bit.

i was going to post shearer but I couldnt remember when, but feel sure he did.

There was a stage where he seemed to perfect it.  Solano used to roll the ball to him and he just smashed it low through/under the wall.  I have probably imagined how many times he did it - but I seem to remember a few.  One against the mackems I think?  Seem to remember one against someone like Bolton as well.