Swansea 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 02/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 38

Dave

Guest hobshobs

We need this player, we need that player, forget all that. WE NEED A MANAGER. A manager that can make the strongest squad we've had in years play as they want to play. Express themselves. The squad has the talent. This clown of a manager is holding us back. End of rant.

A striker's the priority. At the moment, we've got a target man whose movement is poor, and a finisher who can't hold the ball up.

A centre back to partner Mbiwa would do nicely. Colo is off, Taylor doesn't impose himself enough and Willo lacks pace.

I thought Taylor was the best out of the defenders yesterday tbh.

He's okay. But for me, CB is an important position that I think we can improve on.

My beef with Taylor is he's too cautious, and seems too worried about making a mistake. He often doesn't get close enough to his opponent, preferring to stand off and concentrate on staying goalside rather than intercepting or putting in an early tackle. He gets lots of blocks in, but overall there's something very reactive about his defending. It also leads to him stepping back out of the defensive line and taking the risk of playing opponents onside.

Going forward, I think his distribution is poor and he often plays people into trouble.

For sure, he has his moments at both ends of the pitch, but I think we can look to do better.

I think a few people have mentioned it already but at 70 minutes we really needed to make a change to push on and win the game. The big problem was that there wasn't anyone on the bench who could have truly changed the game or someone on the pitch playing badly. Still not sure what to make of it to be honest and as a result it's pretty frustrating.

Guest firetotheworks

I think a few people have mentioned it already but at 70 minutes we really needed to make a change to push on and win the game. The big problem was that there wasn't anyone on the bench who could have truly changed the game or someone on the pitch playing badly. Still not sure what to make of it to be honest and as a result it's pretty frustrating.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Tbh, I'm not sure a change was needed. Cisse and Gouffran both should have scored and Cabaye hit the bar. Debuchy and Santon were overlapping well, but nothing was quite clicking. In those types of situations, where you're winning corner after corner and pressing hard, you either need to take your chances or take a look at Man United on corners and stop floating aimless balls to the back post. It's terrible.

That was hardly a simple chance, it was on his weaker foot, bouncing and he was getting closed in on very quickly by 3 players. Put Van Persie on his right foot in that situation on the other side and you'd hardly be surprised if he didn't bury it, the disappointment for me is that he didn't hit the target. We've only given him 3 chances in his last 2 games IIRC, he's buried 1, that's still above par for the course for the vast majority of strikers (around 25% conversion). He is not a hold up player but quite frankly he shouldn't need to be with the level of talent and power in our midfield, he needs to be on the shoulder of defenders, moving around so players like Cabaye and Sissoko can play him through. We've simply not given him the service he needs of late.

We're creating very little for Cisse, to be fair to the lad.

Should have scored the one he blazed over the bar one on one with the keeper tbf

It wasn't a tap-in...

Still should have at least hit the target and worked the keeper

Dropping Jonas, swinging Sissoko out to the right and bringing on Marveaux to play behind Cisse would've been a smart move.

As someone said before, if we had made a change and the result went the same way it would have been 'we were doing well, why the fuck did he decide to change it!?'.

Although tbf the change would have been bringing on Shola so they probably would have had a point  :D

As someone said before, if we had made a change and the result went the same way it would have been 'we were doing well, why the fuck did he decide to change it!?'.

Well yeah, but that's what happens when everyone hates Pardew.

Have we won in that strip yet?... It's atrocious to pick out at pitch level...

I found it hard to pick the referee out.  Kept asking why one of our players didn't move for balls they could easily get until I realised it was the referee.

It does seem to have been an unlucky strip for us like that blue and black inter one a couple of years back.