Best corner kick taker?

bulivye

Guest neesy111

The thing with Cabaye is just about all his corners and free kicks are floated which just about all sunday league players do.  Floated corners are ridiculously easily to defend and you need to generate power into them unlike whipped corners and free kicks Robert would do.

Jonas has put in a few decent ones. Got goals from them v.s Chelsea (in the cup) and Wolves away last season.

Just let Ben Arfa shoot from them like he does in training  :aww:

Overall though has to be Nobby in recent times.

Think Cabaye took the one Ba acored from v Wolves last season

Guest neesy111

Our plan should be:

1. Short corner to Ben Arfa

2. ? ? ? ?

3. Penalty to Newcastle

You can't do that all the time, has to be mixed up.

We scored some headed goals when Barton was taking them. Can't remember how many goals came directly from corners, though.

Yeah Barton's were decent iirc. Barton > Carroll > Goal was quite a regular occurrence at one point.

the only two i can think that we have scored were Ba's against Wolves and Shola's at Stamford Bridge in the carling cup, both last season and both taken by Jonas,  get him back on them!

Guest neesy111

the only two i can think that we have scored were Ba's against Wolves and Shola's at Stamford Bridge in the carling cup, both last season and both taken by Jonas,  get him back on them!

The wolves one was taken by Cabaye.

Cabaye took the Wolves one.

oh well nevermind,  in saying that both were good inswingers to the near post,  maybe we should try that again instead of the high floated one to the back post.

...and Shola's was the season before last.

But other than that, he's spot on.

Robert, then Nobby.

:thup: Robert was fantastic delivering dead balls, but his crossing was a bit more inconsistent during play. Both embarrassingly better than what we have at the club now, though.

Please...Robert hit the first man 19 out of 20 corners. It was absolutely dreadful to watch. Without having done it myself, I think it would be easy to document some of the frustrations on here much like we are experiencing now by using the search function.

Guest firetotheworks

Under Hughton there was a period when our corners were mint. Whether it was Barton or Guthrie, they were often spot on, especially Guthrie's.

The problem to me seems simple and that is that we aim for people, which in a crowded penalty area is an incredibly difficult thing to do, and also leaves little possibility that the target can do anything with it (if they're jumping from a standing start).

This is completely different to when we had Carroll when we would aim for an area that we knew he could attack. Barton would aim the ball five yards in front of him to give him the opportunity to run at it.

It feels less ridiculous in the last few weeks than before because Taylor is much better at directing his headers than Williamson and often manages to head it back in, but we're still doing exactly the same thing we have all season - aim for the centre half at the back post.

Love to know what goes through the manager's mind when he is coaching set pieces. Remember the "perfect corner" crack on the radio? :lol: