Alan Pardew

Mike

I agree. However, considering we know for a fact that he left pretty much immediately when facing what appears to be a long lay off (despite our most important game being so soon) and when viewed in the context of his behaviour last season (not to mention the consequences his absence nearly resulted in) I think it's churlish to question why people are aggrieved at his latest disappearance.

Granted we won't know the reasons why he's gone but that shouldn't preclude fans of Newcastle United questioning his behaviour.

Just days away from the derby and we've got people calling for our manager to resign, beyond belief this.

Surely the club captain could defend him....oh wait!

Nobody needs to defend anybody. Even without colo we have leaders in the dressing room who don't require Colo holding their hand telling them everything will be ok. He's injured, he's flew back to Argie, what's the big deal? Nobody was calling Ben Arfa when he spent months in Paris, players do sometimes go home when they injured, nothing new. People question his commitment for the cause but they weren't questioning that in the second half against Cardiff when he held us together and was excellent in getting us the 3 points required. Overall in his time here, he’s shown nothing but a first class attitude, yes his personal problems got in the way earlier this year but he’s come through that and knuckled down for us. No need to give him so much abuse.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist at heart,  and a club captain should be someone the rest of the squad look up to; will listen to and respect. Going back to Argentina prior to a game with our biggest local rivals, even whilst unfit to play, to me is f***ing totally wrong and what's more Pardew wants shooting for allowing it.

Or the fact Jonas has went back for personal reasons, ever occurred Colo might be offering support with him in this difficult time? People do have lives outside of football and sometimes when put into perspective, the derby game isn't as important as offering his close friend support. Pardew may have found this totally acceptable as he is injured anyways so isn’t really in a position to massively affect the game on Sunday anyways and has allowed him to stay in Argie with Jonas.

My heart bleeds for them...IF Jonas has a sick or dying relative then his return to his own country is totally understandable - Colo had - er - 'personal problems' last season which we never really got to the bottom of other than to discover that he wanted a transfer to San Lorenzo which NUFC were not prepared to sanction

because they couldn't afford him and he risked being sued for breach of contract....

You seem to be prepared to defend Pardew whatever the circumstances are when clearly, the player(s) concerned, certainly one of them, is obviously wanting to be away from the club notwithstanding the fact that

his presence as captain might have been a morale-booster to the team on Derby day.

In this case, the fault is more probably with the player concerned but your rush to defend Pardew implies that you are more concerned about his reputation than the player's motives...

My heart bleeds for them...IF Jonas has a sick or dying relative then his return to his own country is totally understandable - Colo had - er - 'personal problems' last season which we never really got to the bottom of other than to discover that he wanted a transfer to San Lorenzo which NUFC were not prepared to sanction

because they couldn't afford him and he risked being sued for breach of contract....

You seem to be prepared to defend Pardew whatever the circumstances are when clearly, the player(s) concerned, certainly one of them, is obviously wanting to be away from the club notwithstanding the fact that

his presence as captain might have been a morale-booster to the team on Derby day.

In this case, the fault is more probably with the player concerned but your rush to defend Pardew implies that you are more concerned about his reputation than the player's motives...

I'm just not quick to criticise our club captain or manager for their decision making when i'm not sure of the exact causes are. If it turns out Jonas' 'personal reasons' are more serious than your current assumptions and Colo is out there supporting him, a few fans may be made to look very silly. We've lost Colo and Jonas for the derby but i'm sure they both would love to be playing in it as much as anyone.

Guest icemanblue

Pure conjecture that, like the Colo family issues excuse.

Colo's family issues have been pretty well publicised, like. To play ignorant now doesn't do you many favours.

Are we talking about Colo's 'family issues', or those of Jonas..?

What ARE these 'issues...'? nobody has made it clear what they are so people can only guess.

Of course, they couldn't be a smokescreen to cover the fact that one of these players - or both - want to return to Argentina....could they..!? The fans pay the wages of these guys(in part) so are entitled to know as long as the problem is not of a highly personal nature.

If the player doesn't wish to explain his reasons, you respect his privacy. We don't hold any sort of right to know simply because we pay money to the club to watch them play. It's a game of football, it's their job, they can tell their problems to people inside the club but if they wish to hold that information from the fans they play in front of, that's well within their right and you just respect that, not doubt them. You can choose yourself in whether you wish to support them through there issues or not but criticising them for it is completely wrong imo.

Honestly I don't usually need much of an excuse to lay into Pardew, but probably one of his few plus points since he's been here is his man-management. Tactically he's probably as clueless as they come but he's generally done well to keep the players onside, especially considering some of the football we've played under his stewardship. If he's happy for players to return home if they have injuries or family issues then I would just let him get on with it.

I take the Anelka thing recently as a bit of a lesson. Slagged off, called a bottler, can't believe what he's doing etc... then turned out someone very close to him had died.

I don't want to see any of our players jetting off around the world but unless we know more detail it's pretty hard to judge it.

14 points from 9 games is the minimum he should be expecting from that squad tbh regardless of when we made our signings.

Pretty much agree here, it can still go either way. While there's a few piss poor teams, the majority of the premier teams are good enough to compete hard against all but the big spenders. We should be beating most of them but after the Hull game I wouldn't take anything for granted.

I don't get this "I pay their wages, I have a right to know" bullshit.

It's like phoning up BT and demanding to know why the chief was off sick for a week, all because you pay £30/month to them for your calls and broadband. They'd laugh in your face and hang up on you, and rightly so.

Some things are more important than work (irrespective of your job - it is only a job), and some things are nobody's business but your own. I'm as interested as anyone in why he went back to Argentina, that's human nature, but we don't have a right to know anything.

14 points from 9 games is the minimum he should be expecting from that squad tbh regardless of when we made our signings.

From those fixtures, absolutely.

Yep, 4 wins from Villa, Hull, Cardiff, Fulham, West Ham & Sunderland with a couple of draws dotted around should be standard.

Guest firetotheworks

Tbf, none of us go up to Salters Lane every week and cheer on the staff from outside either. Comparing football to a non-spectator day job makes no sense.

From those fixtures, absolutely.

Yep, 4 wins from Villa, Hull, Cardiff, Fulham, West Ham & Sunderland with a couple of draws dotted around should be standard.

How many clubs managed 14 points from those 18 last season? Swapping hull for Wigan and that? Genuinely interested to know.