Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest icemanblue

I've noticed that, i asked him about our style of play and the free kick hoofs. Maybe this will jog his memory.

Aye, dodging question all over aren't I.

There's a dozen of you and 2 of us expressing the counter argument.

I don't think Pardew is capable of implementing any style other than keeping it tight.  His set piece record is atrocious.

But then we scored from as many set pieces as Arsenal last season. Should Wenger be sacked for his awful set pieces?  We don't necessarily have to rely on them.

Arsenal don't have to rely on set pieces because they're great at creating chances as a team, you picked the worst possible team to compare us to. We could do with something to rely on because we can't create chances and we concede loads of goals, but he's shit at coaching set pieces as well. Incidentally, what are his good points as a manager?

That was the point of choosing Arsenal.  We've scored more goals from open play than 10 other teams...despite THE PLAYERS having one of the worst conversion rates in the league for the chances we create.  Arsenal are a more extreme example of a team who are "woeful" at set pieces, but compensate otherwise.

I'm not really sure what your point is. We're bad at set pieces, we don't create many chances, we concede loads of goals.

We have more shots on goal than any other club outside the top 7.

We have more shots on target than any other club outside the top 7.

Our conversion rate is the second worst in the league.

Nearly half our shots were from outside the box, how does that compare to other PL sides?

Less than Spurs, managed by football's guardian angel - AVB. Stats. :lol:

I believe Pardew is not as secure as the chronicle believes he is, in other words the chronicle is fence sitting and writing  complete load of bollocks, time will tell.

Agree.

The notion that Ashley will keep him because of a previous statement, contract, friendship or whatever is wrong.

Ashley is a ruthless operator when it comes to running his business and wouldn't think twice about cutting his losses.

That said, I think Pardew will be around next season.

I don't believe that the Chronicle know what is going on, they're just fence sitting incase he does stay and they've said he's a goner.

His position will be questioned after the Arsenal game if it hasn't been already. I do think he'll be here for pre-season. We have underachieved massively, but they believed in Pardew enough to hand him a 8 year contract after one great season, so I doubt they will be knee-jerk about any decision. A lot will depend on player happiness, managers currently available and without a club, and just how much ambition Ashley and Llambias have.

HF will attempt to engage in intelligent debate with the stupidest of people for a lot longer than most humans would allow*.

Spudil, you should enjoy the patience he's affording you and see if you can learn something, rather than resorting to abuse.

*He was the very last person to run out of patience with Leazes ffs.

Any thoughts on Pardew?

Aye he's struggled this season. He was never gonna lose his job if he kept us up though, and I don't think he deserves to lose it yet.

Let's see where we are 10 to 15 games into next season. If he's still struggling then it's time for him to go. In the meantime, he needs to be backed in the transfer market in the summer.

If he gets sacked now, it's back to square one, more transition. You've got to back the current bloke and give him a chance to get it right. When he's proven that he definitely can't do it, then he goes. We're not at that point yet with Pardew imo.

Out of interest do you agree with the theory that it's a bad idea to sack Pardew because we can't trust Ashley to appoint a proper replacement (this assumes the sacking is our decision, which is ridiculous).

Based on all of the evidence to hand, it's more likely than not that Ashley's managerial appointments will continue to be disappointing. Unless you know something I don't, I'm not sure what you've got to dispute that.

I just find it interesting given that you think Pardew should be backed with new players. If Ashley's true to form he'll buy him more of the same and he won't have a clue what to do with them either, don't you think?

If you keep the bloke in charge, then you back him. You're looking at this through your "he needs to go" lens, which I don't agree with.

If you only buy players of a certain type, you have to have the right bloke in charge.

Stats mean very little on their own; nobody at all watching us this season can genuinely believe we are a cohesive attacking unit.

Yeah, you can prove anything with facts can't you ;)

Stats account for very little. But when someone says "we create very little"  and the facts show we create more chances than 13 other teams then the stats show that person is wrong.

Stats mean very little on their own; nobody at all watching us this season can genuinely believe we are a cohesive attacking unit.

Stats account for very little. But when someone says "we create very little"  and the facts show we create more chances than 13 other teams then the stats show that person is wrong.

Not if they're shots that are never going to amount to much. Like all those long range one's. What are our shots on target stats compared to others in the league?

You're not defending the team or how we play here, you're just defending your own stance.

I've noticed that, i asked him about our style of play and the free kick hoofs. Maybe this will jog his memory.

I don't think Pardew is capable of implementing any style other than keeping it tight.  His set piece record is atrocious.

But then we scored from as many set pieces as Arsenal last season. Should Wenger be sacked for his awful set pieces?  We don't necessarily have to rely on them.

Arsenal don't have to rely on set pieces because they're great at creating chances as a team, you picked the worst possible team to compare us to. We could do with something to rely on because we can't create chances and we concede loads of goals, but he's shit at coaching set pieces as well. Incidentally, what are his good points as a manager?

That was the point of choosing Arsenal.  We've scored more goals from open play than 10 other teams...despite THE PLAYERS having one of the worst conversion rates in the league for the chances we create.  Arsenal are a more extreme example of a team who are "woeful" at set pieces, but compensate otherwise.

I'm not really sure what your point is. We're bad at set pieces, we don't create many chances, we concede loads of goals.

Nearly half our shots were from outside the box, how does that compare to other PL sides?

edit:  wow, 55%, more than half

We're on 50%

Spurs are on 55%

....but we take more shots than the other teams.

Look at the breakdown of shoits inside and outside the box in terms of numbers rather than percentages and we're by no means the worst.

We've had 263 shots from inside the box this season.  More than 7 per game. More than 8 other teams.

All from our own box as we're pegged back according to some on here ;)

Did you use some figures that included long range shots? So all of Tiote's attempts at shooting count as a chance created? :lol:

We're on 50%

Spurs are on 55%

Look at the breakdown of shoits inside and outside the box in terms of numbers rather than percentages and we're by no means the worst.

We've had 263 shots from inside the box this season.  More than 7 per game. More than 8 other teams.

It's bullshit though isn't it, an aimless cross can lead to a deflection and an off balance shot borne out of frustration. We don't create chances based on getting a striker in a bit of space and with a bit of time to get a shot away. It happens, in the same way that sometimes football sporadically breaks out despite the lack of movement, but that doesn't mean we are a team that creates many chances.

Genuine question, but are those shots/chances just half chances, ie a ball has fallen to a player and they've just hit it? Because as a team, in terms of passing the ball up the pitch/playing through balls to our forward players, overlapping runs etc we create fuck all. Our team is static as fuck, and no one ever moves for anyone.

I honestly can't believe that anyone who watched every single NUFC game this season from start to finish could possibly want Pardew to remain in a job.

I watched every game last season and the only time I wanted him in the job was during the 6-league game wins in a row and the summer period following the season. My feelings weren't anything to do with his character, the manner of his appointment or any of that, it was to do with the poor football we produced and the over reliance on ridiculous scoring records from both Cisse and Ba whilst playing very defensively.

This season, the football has somehow managed to be a lot worse even though last season was poor and there is a limit to how badly you can play before your results start to match your performances. This man stays in the job next season and we're absolutely fucked, on top of that, I'm sure the majority of our more talented players must be thinking 'what the fuck kind of team are we? We don't seem to have any shape or style, apart from not committing people forward, everyone has to put a tackle in and run around a fair bit. I can't remember a season where the quality of our football has been this appalling the whole way through.

I'm just hoping beyond hope that he goes

Guest Dontooner

Arsenal don't have to rely on set pieces because they're great at creating chances as a team, you picked the worst possible team to compare us to. We could do with something to rely on because we can't create chances and we concede loads of goals, but he's s*** at coaching set pieces as well. Incidentally, what are his good points as a manager?

We're on 50%

Spurs are on 55%

You are either drunk while watching us play or you simply watch a couple of games and trying to be a smart alex.

We have being peg back in most games this season, we nick goals which explain why we rarely win by more than 2 goals.

Can't take you for real when everything you analyse doesn't reflect the state of our games. Even those who support Pardew might not agree with the rubbish you speak. More chances than other teams?? Have you actually been watching the rest of the league. If you were aware of how the other teams being playing this season, you wouldn't be serving all this dross.

Arsenal don't have to rely on set pieces because they're great at creating chances as a team, you picked the worst possible team to compare us to. We could do with something to rely on because we can't create chances and we concede loads of goals, but he's s*** at coaching set pieces as well. Incidentally, what are his good points as a manager?

We're on 50%

Spurs are on 55%

You are either drunk while watching us play or you simply watch a couple of games and trying to be a smart alex.

We have being peg back in most games this season, we nick goals which explain why we rarely win by more than 2 goals.

Can't take you for real when everything you analyse doesn't reflect the state of our games. Even those who support Pardew might not agree with the rubbish you speak. More chances than other teams?? Have you actually been watching the rest of the league. If you were aware of how the other teams being playing this season, you wouldn't be serving all this dross.

ignore hf he's a wum who i guess have not seen a single 90mins match and watches motd drunk.

Guest Phil K

The worst of news. Guaranteed another struggle with that idiot in charge.

We're depressed. Can you imagine the Frenchies ?

it gets worse... listen to him

Newcastle's indifferent form due to 'misfortune' says Alan Pardew

Alan Pardew has put Newcastle United's indifferent form this season down to "misfortune", with the manager insistent that his team should be praised for avoiding relegation from the Premier League.

Newcastle's safety was secured on Sunday with a 2-1 win at Queens Park Rangers. There have been rumblings of discontent around St James' Park, though, that Pardew's men ended up in a fight for survival at all.

The manager believes special circumstances contributed to that scenario. "Our season has been difficult, but we have come through it," Pardew said.

"I don't care what anybody says, getting over the line with some of the misfortune we have had is an achievement.

"We have had three cruciate injuries and no other club has had that. We missed key players at QPR – Sissoko, Shola Ameobi, Tim Krul and Davide Santon.

"All year we have had that, but we still got over the line. That is the main thing."

Pardew's position is not believed to be under threat but the 51-year-old will hold scheduled talks with the Newcastle owner Mike Ashley next week. Recruitment plans for next season will feature prominently on the agenda as will the futures of existing Newcastle players; Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa and Fabricio Coloccini have all been heavily linked with moves away from the north-east.

Before his meeting with Ashley, Pardew takes Newcastle into their final game of the season, against Arsenal. Pardew has backpedalled after claiming that he would not care if Newcastle lost that game 4-0.

"Our fans can turn up and enjoy it," Pardew added. "I hope they come in fancy dress and enjoy it. Regardless of the score, thank God we are here next year in the greatest league in the world.

"I know people will have picked up on my comments about not caring about the result against Arsenal, which were, of course, meant as a joke."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/14/alan-pardew-newcastle?

:lol: I would keep the smugness until you've actually made a coherent point tbh.

Shots at goal/on target does not equate to actual chances created and certainly isn't a good barometer on it's own of how cohesive an attacking unit is. All it tells us is how many times one of our players has struck the ball with the intention of scoring a goal and how many of those shots were actually going towards said target.

Now honestly I don't know or care how many genuine chances we create on average compared to other teams in the league, all I do know from seeing us play is that it isn't enough for us, and the mere fact that you are trying to debate this as a plus point of Pardew's management speaks volumes.

Guest Gemmill

We're on 50%

Spurs are on 55%

ignore hf he's a wum who i guess have not seen a single 90mins match and watches motd drunk.

:lol: He'll be devastated by this grammatically-mangled put-down.