Alan Pardew

Mike

17th position with two games to go is the footballing definition of instability. We're said to have put our summer transfer plans on hold because we don't know what division we'll be playing in.

That's stability apparently. :lol:

You're talking short term. I'm not.

I'm not talking short term as I believe we'll face another relegation battle with him in charge. I also know for a fact that no matter what happens, he'll play a negative long ball game designed to strangle the life out of any contest.

Results are important, and we all enjoy finishing in the upper echelons of the league (let's pretend for a second that I think that might happen), but what's equally important is that I go to the match to enjoy myself and to watch Newcastle try to win and try to score goals. I don't go to be bored shitless and watch us with our backs to the wall for a bare minimum of 45 minutes every week.

I still see loads of people saying "yes, last season was fantastic but..." - it was as fantastic as Allardyce's Bolton were, decent results and fucking dull as dishwater, but at least he had the excuse of having a load of cloggers in the team.

Fair point.

But... last season he was decent. The football was decent too. I know this season has been awful but none of us know which way next season would go under Pardew. We can't know.

Since we can't know what kind of football we'll have until we're playing it, the only stuff that matters are the external factors like stability and relationships in the club.

The football was decent at times last season but he ditched what worked for us as soon as he could.  The football was also shit at times last season.

Agreed.

But there were some pretty tasty high points.

The only reasons I ever see for keeping Pardew is "stability", "the players/board like him" and "Ashley can't appoint a good manager". I don't recall one person saying we'll actually improve on the pitch if he stays. That should be the first reason people give for him staying as that's the most important thing but alas...

Fair point.

But... last season he was decent. The football was decent too. I know this season has been awful but none of us know which way next season would go under Pardew. We can't know.

Since we can't know what kind of football we'll have until we're playing it, the only stuff that matters are the external factors like stability and relationships in the club.

Erm. No. The football was not, on the whole decent.

:tobey:

Not a hope.

The only reasons I ever see for keeping Pardew is "stability", "the players/board like him" and "Ashley can't appoint a good manager". I don't recall one person saying we'll actually improve on the pitch if he stays. That should be the first reason people give for him staying as that's the most important thing but alas...

Fair point.

Considering Pardew's history with clubs when they start going do i'd say we do....

Southampton, West Ham and Reading, once they went south he couldn't do anything to prevent the slide.

Besides what makes you think things will magically change? we will still have technically gifted players suited to a passing game and we will still see a long ball game but without the organisation and set piece prowess of a Pulis or Allardyce team.

What you are doing is basically just throwing another season away, nothing will change Pardew's history proves as much.

Not to mention the players seem to have given up on him. If he stays I really can't see Cabaye or Coloccini staying, possibly add Ben Arfa to that too. All logical signs point to bringing someone new in.

Cabaye is battling depression, Colo has family issues and wants to be back in Argentina, and Ben Arfa is happy but crocked.

Which of those things does a new manager change?

I really don't know if anyone of those things are true. What I do know is Cabaye was sold a lie and has been misused since he signed and has looked increasingly unhappy, this has coincided with the abysmal management of Pardew and our subsequent downturn in form. It's not difficult to see the pattern. Cabaye especially has played within himself for the best part of his spell at the club due to Pardew's tactics, if I was him I'd want to leave and I can't blame him if he goes if Pardew remains in charge.

A few people have said, a few times, that, with the right investment in the summer and reduced fixtures next season, we could conceivably go on to have a similar season to last year. That'd be an improvement, for me. I'd be more than happy to have to endure another season like that.

I'm sure this summers signings were brought in during the January window, what investment do you think we need in the summer to allow Pardew to repeat last season?

As for the number of games played being less, what difference will that make?  Our highest played players this season are on a par with last season so fatigue shouldn't really have had any say in how this season has played out.

The negative bastard will get more time to focus on the opposition and how to stop them so I agree that we'll benefit from that.  On the flip side, again, we'll be looking to stop others rather than trying to play progressive football that suits the players that we have.

Fair point.

The football hasn't changed too much to my eyes in the last few years. It worked last year but as the players are getting better it's working less and less by the week and I can't see getting any better. I've been blaming the players plenty recently but a team full of internationals just shouldn't be performing this badly every single week.

A few people have said, a few times, that, with the right investment in the summer and reduced fixtures next season, we could conceivably go on to have a similar season to last year. That'd be an improvement, for me. I'd be more than happy to have to endure another season like that.

This sounds completely made up and I won't ask for proof as you never bother to provide it.

I'm not talking short term as I believe we'll face another relegation battle with him in charge. I also know for a fact that no matter what happens, he'll play a negative long ball game designed to strangle the life out of any contest.

Results are important, and we all enjoy finishing in the upper echelons of the league (let's pretend for a second that I think that might happen), but what's equally important is that I go to the match to enjoy myself and to watch Newcastle try to win and try to score goals. I don't go to be bored shitless and watch us with our backs to the wall for a bare minimum of 45 minutes every week.

I still see loads of people saying "yes, last season was fantastic but..." - it was as fantastic as Allardyce's Bolton were, decent results and f***ing dull as dishwater, but at least he had the excuse of having a load of cloggers in the team.

I can't see the bit in bold happening, I do expect that he'll fail to get the best out of the squad though and we'll be mid-table.  Go on a cup run and he'll be knackered again and complaining about having too many games and no time for preparation.

Fair point.

Of course you can know.

I know Brendan Rodgers won't play a negative long ball game next season, I know Pulis will play that. I know Arsene Wenger will still be one of the best managers in the country, I know Alex McLeish won't be.

You're talking as if football is won and lost purely and simply on the basis of chance and we should stick with Pardew because we have a 50% chance of heads. Of course you can know these things. :lol:

Agreed.

But there were some pretty tasty high points.

The problem is that he virtually stumbled on a formula which brought out the best of the squad and ditched it and reverted to type.

Fair point.

Considering Pardew's history with clubs when they start going do i'd say we do....

Southampton, West Ham and Reading, once they went south he couldn't do anything to prevent the slide.

Besides what makes you think things will magically change? we will still have technically gifted players suited to a passing game and we will still see a long ball game but without the organisation and set piece prowess of a Pulis or Allardyce team.

What you are doing is basically just throwing another season away, nothing will change Pardew's history proves as much.

I don't think we're doing too much differently as it is. Pardew has always favored keeping it tight and squeezing out the opposition. We're doing the same thing but we have a number of other issues to cope with that we didn't last season. Losing, and not replacing, Ba. Injuries, too thin a squad, and too many players still trying to settle in.

They've all hampered us.

Next season the new arrivals will be more settled, in the main. Having fewer games will mean less stress on our top players and a chance to recover physically and mentally. Pardew is talking about bringing in more strikers.

We're not suddenly going to turn into Barcelona, Pardew is still going to keep it tight first and foremost, but with fit players, a less packed calendar, and the possibility of reinforcements up front, I'm optimistic of us proving more of a threat to teams and picking up wins.

When you win you gain confidence, and players filled with confidence play better football.

Pardew isn't dictating every kick.

When a player beats his man and drives into the box instead of passing it square, that's not because Pardew coached him to do that, it's because the player had the confidence to do it.

We just need a run of games to get it together. I'm confident.

Fair point.

Of course you can know.

I know Brendan Rodgers won't play a negative long ball game next season, I know Pulis will play that. I know Arsene Wenger will still be one of the best managers in the country, I know Alex McLeish won't be.

You're talking as if football is won and lost purely and simply on the basis of chance and we should stick with Pardew because we have a 50% chance of heads. Of course you can know these things. :lol:

Based on what he's done for us so far it IS 50/50. We've had a season we were happy with and a season we weren't happy with. Who knows what we're getting next season?

Losing, and not replacing, Ba. Injuries, too thin a squad, and too many players still trying to settle in.

Which of these was a major issue from August to January, during which we went on one of the worst runs of form in the club's history?

When did Southampton go 'south' under his time there?

It's lazy accusations like this which undermine this "history of Pardew suggests he'll be shit" argument.

Fair point.

Of course you can know.

Based on what he's done for us so far it IS 50/50. We've had a season we were happy with and a season we weren't happy with. Who knows what we're getting next season?

I haven't had a season I'm happy with. Like I said, I go to the match for more than just the result. If that was all I was interested in, I'd stay in and watch it on the videprinter. There's no greater feeling in life than the 5-10 seconds after a Newcastle goal. Pardew has very little interest in goals beyond the 1 he thinks he should need to win (only at home though, an away point is always a miraculous result so we'll stick to 0 there if possible). He wants me to get that level of satisfaction from a tackle, or Krul pulling off another wondersave as we're getting our routine 45 minute (minimum) battering.

We were told last season was a starting point, and that the football would improve and be played to attack and be played on the floor. That was a complete lie, something you've just admitted yourself, that he only wants to strangle the life out of football and try and win by the odd goal.

Why would anyone want somebody like that in charge of their football club? I can understand it if the results are going well (though it's not for me personally) but when they're this bad and it's not even entertaining, the team doesn't even try to score goals? Boggles my mind.

When did Southampton go 'south' under his time there?

It's lazy accusations like this which undermine this "history of Pardew suggests he'll be shit" argument.

They appointed Adkins a few weeks after Pardew was fired and now, only 3 years on, they're on course to finish above us so that's how easy a job it was for a good manager.

A quote from February last year

The more time you give, the more you learn obviously and I haven't seen anywhere near enough fluidity from us or attacking intent. I forgave the poor performances at the start-middle of the season because players were gelling and there was a lot to be worked out, obviously the results were superb and I just thought 'wow, we're getting these results and we're not even close to being a team yet' but as time has gone on, we've not looked anymore like a team and players have played far worse than their talent suggests they can play. I'm worried about our style of play and have been for a few months and it's not results that will change that for me, but performances. I am disappointed, more so because I feel we were sold a few cheap lies by Pardew about our style of play.

Over a year later...

I don't think we're doing too much differently as it is. Pardew has always favored keeping it tight and squeezing out the opposition. We're doing the same thing but we have a number of other issues to cope with that we didn't last season. Losing, and not replacing, Ba. Injuries, too thin a squad, and too many players still trying to settle in.

They've all hampered us.

Next season the new arrivals will be more settled, in the main. Having fewer games will mean less stress on our top players and a chance to recover physically and mentally. Pardew is talking about bringing in more strikers.

We're not suddenly going to turn into Barcelona, Pardew is still going to keep it tight first and foremost, but with fit players, a less packed calendar, and the possibility of reinforcements up front, I'm optimistic of us proving more of a threat to teams and picking up wins.

When you win you gain confidence, and players filled with confidence play better football.

Pardew isn't dictating every kick.

When a player beats his man and drives into the box instead of passing it square, that's not because Pardew coached him to do that, it's because the player had the confidence to do it.

We just need a run of games to get it together. I'm confident.

Come on.

Its embarassing that anyone would stick with Pardew any longer. As for his latest quotes, they're good on the surface but the man is a professional bullshitter. If he told me grass is green, I'd still not believe him. His quotes are empty.

What world are you/they living in? A season like last season is never going to lead to sustainable success. Bloody hell.