Alan Pardew

Mike

It's not just words though, the training details I've heard and read, Caulkin for example, have mentioned ball retention. Why bother making it a focus if you're not that bothered about it and it goes against what you want to do in the regular season?

Great, I look forward to the new attempt at playing passing football this season. My view is though it's one thing talking about it, but another knowing how to implement it. For some managers it comes naturally, like Dario Gradi who was (is?) at Crewe, Martinez and Keegan. Pardew is a long ball man, and when the pressure comes it's what he'll revert to when the heat is on IMO. We'll see.

But we have played passing football under Pardew before, it seems logical to suggest he knows how. He didn't revert to long ball when the heat was on last year either. Happy Face posted on here that post-January, there were 14 teams that played more long balls a game than us iirc. I don't dispute that he didn't revert to defensive football though.

We don't have enough posession to out long ball the long ball teams. :lol:

It's not just words though, the training details I've heard and read, Caulkin for example, have mentioned ball retention. Why bother making it a focus if you're not that bothered about it and it goes against what you want to do in the regular season?

Great, I look forward to the new attempt at playing passing football this season. My view is though it's one thing talking about it, but another knowing how to implement it. For some managers it comes naturally, like Dario Gradi who was (is?) at Crewe, Martinez and Keegan. Pardew is a long ball man, and when the pressure comes it's what he'll revert to when the heat is on IMO. We'll see.

But we have played passing football under Pardew before, it seems logical to suggest he knows how. He didn't revert to long ball when the heat was on last year either. Happy Face posted on here that post-January, there were 14 teams that played more long balls a game than us iirc. I don't dispute that he didn't revert to defensive football though.

Yes we have attempted to play passing football at times but the most successful period was when the right players ended up in the same line up and did everything pretty much off the cuff. We tried it again last season but without any forward movement it sunk like a stone. There's nothing from the last two seasons which suggests that Pardew understands that movement is vital to passing otherwise I doubt we'd have seen such a static team during his time here.

Guest bimpy474

We have played passing football, usually when the opposition let us, as soon as they put pressure on and the game then need our manager to adjust things. He does this by bringing on Shola and hoofing it 60 yards to the plank.

Pardew's full of shite.

How come Pardew was only focusing one day a week for attacking if he believes in it so much?

How is this line still being trotted out? :lol:

If it has been proven incorrect then obviously I'm not aware of that. If not then it would still be relevant to the context of a discussion about Pardew's intentions to play positive football.

Something just occurred to me. Every negative , long ball merchant team I can think of in history, all had a weapon that they fell back on. They all had great, profitable set-pieces. When you don't create much, the set-piece/penis is always the most potent weapon of a team. Bassett's Wimbledon, Graham's Arsenal, Taylor's Watford even JFK's Wimbledon side all were all highly dangerous from set-pieces.

Which makes us staying up, all the more remarkable. We had the worst of both world's.

Current situation reminds me of the Seinfeld episode "The Voice". Instead of George Costanza faking a disability, Alan Pardew has faked being a premier league quality manager and now the boss (Ashley) is doing everything he can to get him to quit. May have to climb through the vents to get back into his office after he gets back.

Let's hope he does well this season. If he is sacked, I would hate to think who Kinnear would pick to replace him.

Very worrying sad times ahead ,

Dont be silly. Kinnear would make a great wife for William.

A positive feel to him considering all the behind the scenes shit going on. Fully expected him to be down and out before the season has even started. Seems Faye is doing a cracking job.

Tbh, i wouldn't be positive at all until we get the striker situation sorted. Because if we don't, we'll be kicking around the bottom 5. He must know that something is imminent.