Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest firetotheworks

It doesn't matter, 3 wins in 14 was the error. It was actually 4 in 15.

If we carried on further, it was 5 wins in 23 matches. 12 of which were defeats.

The teams we lost to included West Ham, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke, Fulham and Reading. It also included a defeat to Everton that we should have won.

Guest icemanblue

I don't think you'll find anyone willing to argue that last season wasn't largely terrible, from start to finish. Seems pointless to be going through it again, but I suppose we did win last night.

I don't think you'll find anyone willing to argue that last season wasn't largely terrible, from start to finish. Seems pointless to be going through it again, but I suppose we did win last night.

Happy face claimed "When we were in the top half, before the awful pre Christmas run?  If you won't accept top half standard then he's got no hope."

Is it not acceptable that people should educate him?

Guest icemanblue

Happy face claimed "When we were in the top half, before the awful pre Christmas run?  If you won't accept top half standard then he's got no hope."

He seems a pretty well educated bloke, to be honest. I'm sure he's well aware of our results and performances from last season, but he may have seen them in a slightly less negative light. I don't know, he'll manage, I think.

Guest firetotheworks

Even going over the short term of the start of the season, at its best we had 3 wins in 9, with 2 defeats.

Wins:

Spurs (h)

Norwich (h)

West Brom (h)

Draws:

Villa (h)

Everton (a)

Reading (a)

Sunderland (a)

Losses:

Chelsea (a)

Man United (h)

If he 'can't win' with that form then you're absolutely right. It's not good enough in terms of points, and it certainly wasn't good enough in terms of performances.

He seems a pretty well educated bloke, to be honest. I'm sure he's well aware of our results and performances from last season, but he may have seen them in a slightly less negative light. I don't know, he'll manage, I think.

He clearly thinks our form before Christmas was good enough, that has nothing to do with being less negative, it's delusional.

Top half is the target the club have set Pardew.

http://www.statto.com/football/img/progress/ACBAOEALNn

For 10 games he was doing what he'd been tasked with, in terms of results.  Only losing to Chelsea and Man U.

Then it went to shit for 13 games

I thought we played canny shit football as we finished 5th.  But in no hate filled anti-pardew mind could it ever be construed as worthy of the sack.

For 10 games he was doing what he'd been tasked with, in terms of results.  Only losing to Chelsea and Man U.

Then it went to s*** for 13 games

I thought we played canny s*** football as we finished 5th.  But in no hate filled anti-pardew mind could it ever be construed as worthy of the sack.

People can form an opinion on something which goes against any targets the club set him you know.

I thought we played canny shit football as we finished 5th.  But in no hate filled anti-pardew mind could it ever be construed as worthy of the sack.

Top half wasn't the target last season.  Top 8 was.

West Ham

Morecambe

Fulham

Villa

Hull

Leeds

Everton

Cardiff

8 games for Pardew to be judged on.  Could be gone by Halloween if it goes badly, and would have NO excuses about the quality of opposition.

W4 D1 L1

Liverpool

Mackems

Man City

Chelsea

Tottenham

.. is a harsh run that could do for him. 5 points would  be a good return.

Given that we're not judging him on the Man City game surely it's not fair to judge against any other good sides either?

Just the sh*t and average ones.

Everyone pretty much accepted our season started after the Man City game.  He wasn't going to be sacked off that result or anything.  I said he has 8 games after it that will tell us if we're relegation bait or not.  A decent haul against  West Ham, Fulham, Villa, Hull, Everton & Cardiff would suggest we're not going to be struggling in relegation places all season.  Which would be enough to keep Pardew in his job.  For better or worse.

However, with that draw in the league cup we now have 5 games following that are all REALLY difficult.  Whatever has happened in the 8 preceding games, if he were to lose 5 on the bounce, there would be hell on, irrespective of the opponents, and the #Pardewout might get their wish.

The only that you'd have a point there, would be if that opening run of games was difficult. It wasn't.

He only lost the games that were difficult.

It was hardly a piece of piss start on the whole either.  Playing 6 out of the 8 teams that topped the table and only 3 of the eventual bottom 9?

this is why most find a purely stats-based approach so frustrating man

1. with eyes you could see that the performances during the 5th season did not often warrant the results we were getting and could not be sustained

2. we continued with the same tactics and performances and started the season in ok fashion but then it caught up with us

it was always going to catch up with us, the performances tell you that, not the numbers

as for this season it's hard to say how it will go but you'd have to lean towards the negative rather than positive in the league

man city - diabolical

west ham - poor

fulham - above average considering the way we finished

villa - very good against an accommodating team

hull - poor

EDIT: correct quote

Guest firetotheworks

The only that you'd have a point there, would be if that opening run of games was difficult. It wasn't.

He only lost the games that were difficult.

It was hardly a piece of p*ss start on the whole either.  Playing 6 out of the 8 teams that topped the table and only 2 of the eventual bottom 9?

You could look at it that way, but I wouldn't.

In that opening 10 games we still drew with Villa at home, Reading and Sunderland away, made massively hard work for ourselves against Norwich and were lucky as anything against West Brom. FWIW, at that point I overlooked how bad we were because it was the start of the season, but we still should have beaten Villa, Reading and Sunderland if we're going purely on results.

I thought we would get better, but we got worse. Us getting worse doesn't mean that the initial results were acceptable, it just highlights how bad that run of defeats was.

this is why most find a purely stats-based approach so frustrating man

1. with eyes you could see that the performances during the 5th season did not often warrant the results we were getting and could not be sustained

2. we continued with the same tactics and performances and started the season in ok fashion but then it caught up with us

it was always going to catch up with us, the performances tell you that, not the numbers

as for this season it's hard to say how it will go but you'd have to lean towards the negative rather than positive in the league

man city - diabolical

west ham - poor

fulham - above average considering the way we finished

villa - very good against an accommodating team

hull - poor

Happy face is not including the Man City game for Pardew which is odd.  We lost the game last season and I expected nothing from the game, I would have settled for at least seeing something which suggested an improvement.  I have seen nothing yet to get overly excited about because you could probably find 20 minutes from a game last season to match the last 20 against Fulham and you could find a game to match the Villa win.

We might do better this season than we did last season and we should.  Will it will be enough to justify keeping Pardew, I doubt it.

It's nothing to do with stats.

10 games in we were mid table.  Had only lost to Man U and Chelsea.

Had otherwise got maximum points from our home games except Villa, being a disappointing draw.

..and hadn't otherwise lost on the road. Taking points at Liverpool, Everton (top 6), Sunderland (derby) and Reading (where you'd hope for more).

On the whole that constitutes a good start.

Top half wasn't the target last season.  Top 8 was.

I see we've already lowered our expectations for this season as well. Top 10 will do apparently, although just about every team in the division bar about 3 will be aiming for the same thing.