Alan Pardew

Mike

Why would he complain about, it's not like he's going to get a job as high profile or working with this calibre of player again in his lifetime.

Do you reckon Pardew's stock in the football world is higher or lower than when he got the job with us?  Genuine question.

It was on the floor when he started and it's not much better now although having the likes of Remy, Ba, Cabaye and Ben Arfa to work with at a massive club has obviously improved his profile. I can't see him ever getting a job at another big club though, and that's because his limits have been exposed here.

Why would he complain about, it's not like he's going to get a job as high profile or working with this calibre of player again in his lifetime.

Do you reckon Pardew's stock in the football world is higher or lower than when he got the job with us?  Genuine question.

Far higher, when he leaves us, he'll be amongst the high order betting candidates for when a low prem team job becomes available or a Championship job, weather he gets the job or not is another matter, but he's certainly put his name out there with us and done himself no harm for a future job at a decent enough club. He won't be going back down to League 1 anytime soon that's for sure.

Far higher, when he leaves us, he'll be amongst the high order betting candidates for when a low prem team job becomes available or a Championship job, weather he gets the job or not is another matter, but he's certainly put his name out there with us and done himself no harm for a future job at a decent enough club. He won't be going back down to League 1 anytime soon that's for sure.

Depends if Ashley lets him see his contract out.:D

So he'll only go to a 2nd rate club after this, no big clubs will touch him. I agree.

It was on the floor when he started and it's not much better now although having the likes of Remy, Ba, Cabaye and Ben Arfa to work with at a massive club has obviously improved his profile. I can't see him ever getting a job at another big club though, and that's because his limits have been exposed here.

Tbf, Mascherano and Tevez are better than any of them players so he had worked with world class players elsewhere....and totally failed.  :laugh:

So he'll only go to a 2nd rate club after this, no big clubs will touch him. I agree.

Yeah without a doubt, no chance in hell he's going any bigger than us, this is a dream job for him.

TBF, our chairman's goal seems to be  that we are a second rate cub.

No, he wants to be a big club, but he wants to do it on the cheap. If he wanted a 2nd rate club he could have bought any amount of smaller London clubs like QPR or Fulham when they were up for sale. He wants the glamour and high profile of a club like Newcastle, but he doesn't want to pay for it. Not that different to what he's done to former big brands under his umbrella at SD with the likes of Donnay and Lonsdale.

No, he wants to be a big club, but he wants to do it on the cheap. If he wanted a 2nd rate club he could have bought any amount of smaller London clubs like QPR or Fulham when they were up for sale. He wants the glamour and high profile of a club like Newcastle, but he doesn't want to pay for it. Not that different to what he's done to former big brands under his umbrella at SD with the likes of Donnay and Lonsdale.

You say that as if Donnay and Lonsdale are not second rate sports brands.

Donnay was quite a high quality brand at one time, especially in the tennis world. Lonsdale I don't know that much about, but generally that's the SD business model, to buy brands that are struggling and incorporate them into his stores. If you look at the other football club he's trying to buy - Rangers -  it fits the same profile. Big name club down on it's luck. Why doesn't he buy Luton or Watford if he needs a second rate club closer to home?

Donnay was quite a high quality brand at one time, especially in the tennis world. Lonsdale I don't know that much about, but generally that's the SD business model, to buy brands that are struggling and incorporate them into his stores. If you look at the other football club he's trying to buy - Rangers -  it fits the same profile. Big name club down on it's luck. Why doesn't he buy Luton or Watford if he needs a second rate club closer to home?

Because he buys top brands and turns them into cheap tat.

People who aren't paying attention think they're getting a good brand, those actually watching know it's cheap shite.

Because he buys top brands and turns them into cheap tat.

People who aren't paying attention think they're getting a good brand, those actually watching know it's cheap shite.

Then you should know better than anyone that Newcastle are a big brand. I was surprised to see you comparing the situation to your own when you said you wouldn't complain about your wife because you are no oil painting. Well Newcastle United IS an oil painting. Ashley knows it as well the fat bastard, that's why he's got his grubby mitts on it.

It has cost him an absolute fortune TBF.

Then you should know better than anyone that Newcastle are a big brand. I was surprised to see you comparing the situation to your own when you said you wouldn't complain about your wife because you are no oil painting. Well Newcastle United IS an oil painting. Ashley knows it as well the fat bastard, that's why he's got his grubby mitts on it.

Newcastle in the early 2000s were a big brand with turnover to match.

As the decade wore on we kept trying to spend our way to the top but our performance didn't match.  Ashley bought a top brand that was struggling financially.

Like he does with all struggling brands he buys, he does not try to restore their former glory.  Rather he applies his own cheap methods to drive costs down while retaining the name that can sell.

Every season that Ashley keeps hold of the club, the brand is chepened more.  It is not the brand it was when he bought it.  The club as it is could not attract Sir Bobby Robson, it can't attract top sponsors or players or sell it's corporate boxes.  We have the cheapest tickets in the country, just to keep stadium approaching the capacity it could have doubled a decade ago.

If I went on a diet and used a bit of moisturiser i could be an oil painting.  Newcastle could be too, but it will never be while Ashley is running the show.

Football clubs tend to cost a fortune, those who buy them aren't usually looking to make money from them in a hurry. If you want quick money I'm sure there are better ways of going about it. These days I think rich people buy football clubs to raise their own profile. It certainly seems to be the case with Abramovic and the City sheikhs.

Football clubs tend to cost a fortune, those who buy them aren't usually looking to make money from them in a hurry. If you want quick money I'm sure there are better ways of going about it. These days I think rich people buy football clubs to raise their own profile. It certainly seems to be the case with Abramovic and the City sheikhs.

Totally agree, I don't think Ashley bought us to make quick money. He's not that stupid.

As the decade wore on we kept trying to spend our way to the top but our performance didn't match.  Ashley bought a top brand that was struggling financially.

Like he does with all struggling brands he buys, he does not try to restore their former glory.  Rather he applies his own cheap methods to drive costs down while retaining the name that can sell.

Every season that Ashley keeps hold of the club, the brand is chepened more.  It is not the brand it was when he bought it.  The club as it is could not attract Sir Bobby Robson, it can't attract top sponsors or players or sell it's corporate boxes.  We have the cheapest tickets in the country, just to keep stadium approaching the capacity it could have doubled a decade ago.

If I went on a diet and used a bit of moisturiser i could be an oil painting.  Newcastle could be too, but it will never be while Ashley is running the show.

But I've never argued that we should go back to spending like a big club if we can't do it right. We paid for doing it wrong under Shepherd, and that's why he was forced into selling out. My view is we can get a better manager on the cheap who will make better use of the players we have already. I don't mind Ashley being tight-fisted, it's his money after all. But just stop appointing idiots who are out of their depth. Use some nous and hire coaches with promise rather than clapped out managers from 20 years ago.

But I've never argued that we should go back to spending like a big club if we can't do it right. We paid for doing it wrong under Shepherd, and that's why he was forced into selling out. My view is we can get a better manager on the cheap who will make better use of the players we have already. I don't mind Ashley being tight-fisted, it's his money after all. But just stop appointing idiots who are out of their depth. Use some nous and hire coaches with promise rather than clapped out managers from 20 years ago.

This is probably the biggest mystery about Ashley. He must realise that if he spent a relatively small amount of money on salaries for some better staff he would see the output from everyone go up by quite a bit. He doesn't seem to be prepared to do that though, it's the thing I find the most confusing about him.

Bit harsh on KK that. :knuppel2:

This is probably the biggest mystery about Ashley. He must realise that if he spent a relatively small amount of money on salaries for some better staff he would see the output from everyone go up by quite a bit. He doesn't seem to be prepared to do that though, it's the thing I find the most confusing about him.

Well you only have to look at a club being run on a similar budget at Goodison. Everton are also very tight-fisted, but when Moyes left they went for Martinez, and there was talk of Poyet before that. Martinez especially is a manager who is highly regarded and wouldn't have come cheap, but obviously Kenwright felt it was too important a position to skimp on. It's really not that hard to make a decent appointment if you are a club with the stature of Newcastle, even on a miser's budget.

I said as much yesterday....

We are left with a rare opportunity in the ownership of Mike Ashley, one where he can sack the manager and not have the a manager coming in on the back foot.  Anyone Ashley appointed should benefit from an overwhelmingly positive reaction from the stands.  There are doubtless dozens of young up and coming managers around the world that would be made welcome, or if Ashley showed the ambition to go and get a proven manager with years of experience the entire club would be lifted.  The eternal optimism I have still keeps me hoping Pardew can put a run together.  That optimism, i know in my heart, is about as misplaced as any optimism that Ashley can correct the litany of mistakes above and bring in a man to unite us all on a charge up the table.  The more likely appointment would be Kinnearesque, if not Kinnear himself.

...but if Ashley ever had the opportunity to make a popular decision, it could follow the upcoming games against Liverpool, Sunderland, Man City, Chelsea and Spurs.

That view is not mutually exclusive from the one that Ashley is running us as a second rate club, whatever we would like to see him do.

Amazing how many on here were talking crap about Martinez when he was available, now he's shaping Everton into a pretty decent side. I'm sure a lot of it is honeymoon period, but the man so far has shown aptitude at a bigger, better club.

Amazing how many on here were talking crap about Martinez when he was available, now he's shaping Everton into a pretty decent side. I'm sure a lot of it is honeymoon period, but the man so far has shown aptitude at a bigger, better club.

He's looking promising but it's a bit early to be saying he's reshaping Everton IMO. Getting Lukaku on loan was a result for him.