Alan Pardew

Mike

A rather novel idea is to judge managers by the football their team produces and the results that come with it, with ones own eyes.

Difficult to compare utter shite with rank tedium. We can come out with all the adjectives in the world to say just how bad a manager was. Actual points won offers some distinction that words don't.

A rather novel idea is to judge managers by the football their team produces and the results that come with it, with ones own eyes.

Difficult to compare utter shite with rank tedium. We can come out with all the adjectives in the world to say just how bad a manager was. Actual points won offers some distinction that words don't.

They can also offer skewed results that need to be taken with a pinch of salt rather than looking at them alone, see Glenn Roeder's record.

Do you have the points won stats btw?

They can also offer skewed results that need to be taken with a pinch of salt rather than looking at them alone, see Glenn Roeder's record.

The more games played the less skewed you can claim results were. You can only be so spakey so long.

I do have the points won stats... But people lose their shit whenever I mention a number.

;)

On my phone but I'll post it later.

Guest bimpy474

One of the worst games i've ever seen us play was the 0-1 win at Fulham under Fathead. Cacapa won MOTM. It was a horrible game, utterly bereft of any football and one of the most boring matches i've ever seen.

If ever a stat could be skewed it's by games like that. And some of Pardew's games have given me the same feeling (this season has been better at times mind).

Guest bimpy474

The more games played the less skewed you can claim results were. You can only be so spakey so long.

I do have the points won stats... But people lose their shot whenever I mention a number.

;)

You really dont need to....... :kurt:

I do have the points won stats... But people lose their shot whenever I mention a number.

;)

Aye, post them when you can, would be interested to see the difference between that and win percentage.

The Roeder example's a good example though (and this will apply to both win % and points gained %) - he had half a season where he led us to Champions League form and a surge up the table to 7th, then the next season was absolutely dreadful and he certainly deserved the sack.  Yet you wouldn't think it if you looked at these stats alone.

I don't know how many of you were around during the 90's when boffin Charles Hughes introduced the idea that the long ball game was the most effective method of football and used stats to conclusively prove it. The FA took that on board and England produced some of the most dire football teams in recent history with disciples like Graham Taylor leading the way.

Stats mean fuck all without proper context.

I don't know how many of you were around during the 90's when boffin Charles Hughes introduced the idea that the long ball game was the most effective method of football and used stats to conclusively prove it. The FA took that on board and England produced some of the most dire football teams in recent history with disciples like Graham Taylor leading the way.

When Kinnear was at Wimbledon?

Do you think Ashley might aspire to the uninspiringly effective style you refer to?

Aye, post them when you can, would be interested to see the difference between that and win percentage.

The Roeder example's a good example though (and this will apply to both win % and points gained %) - he had half a season where he led us to Champions League form and a surge up the table to 7th, then the next season was absolutely dreadful and he certainly deserved the sack.  Yet you wouldn't think it if you looked at these stats alone.

Premier League games only....

http://i39.tinypic.com/15nwqcg.jpg

Reassuring to see our next manager "performing" so well in the relegation zone - where we are headed before Christmas with the fixtures we have coming up!

Hmm, not that brilliant either really.  He's been here almost twice as long as anyone else excluding KK/SBR and his record looks remarkably mediocre.  Would have been sacked by now if we had a proper owner, not that I'm saying you're likely to disagree with that.

Stats mean f*** all without proper context.

Fair enough, Billy Beene of Moneyball fame would say not mind. What he came up with has been hugely influential. Squadron Leader Charles Reep came up with the stats that influenced Hughes and in turn Taylor during the 50s & 60s.

When Kinnear was at Wimbledon?

Do you think Ashley might aspire to the uninspiringly effective style you refer to?

The long ball game was in vogue back then, Kinnear probably brought more sophistication to Wimbledon believe it or not. Ashley doesn't seem to know much about football in general. He just picks random names that he recognises who were previously rated and are out of work. Pardew, Kinnear and even Keegan fit into this mold.

Hmm, not that brilliant either really.  He's been here almost twice as long as anyone else excluding KK/SBR and his record looks remarkably mediocre.  Would have been sacked by now if we had a proper owner, not that I'm saying you're likely to disagree with that.

I think the way we ended last season was very close to Pardews sacking being entirely justified.