Alan Pardew

Mike

"It is the first time we have lost Colo and looked more comfortable than when he's been out in the past.

"That is a big boost for us as a group.

"When you lose a player and you can't cope it affects everybody else.

"We have proved we can cope without him and Cabaye and anybody because it is about the team.

"It shows we are stronger in depth and that's good."

"I think we've been in good form.

"I said that before the Chelsea game.

"It is very difficult to beat a team in top form like Chelsea were.

"So all credit to the players, they've been fantastic."

"This is the end of a difficult period for us because we have two games and it could put us in a great position if we get a win or draw Spurs.

"It is an important game for our league position."

"I think it was a reward for some of the good work that went on before where we didn't quite get the results we deserved.

"We are in better shape than we have been given credit for.

"There has been a lot more positive Press about our players who have been terrific."

I don't see excuses, no downers about tiredness, it's all positive stuff about a result at Spurs and performances so far.

We have played 13 games.

9.5 of these went as expected or better than expected.

3.5 were let downs.

Those games are effectively the difference between 9th and 2nd. For a top 6-8 challenge I'd expect days like that and we are still in a more than good position going into the second quarter of the season.

I think there is overdamnation at the moment, we are in a very nice position and there is more reason for hope than gloom.

On a serious not though, i can't say i'm more of a supporter of him than the majority. I'm not one to hate on him and starting thinking 'If' we lose here or there he will be gone and that's fine because it's for the greater good and all that tosh.

I just think he's just a bog standard manager similar to Hughton who probably should be managing a side in the league below. Difference is Pardew has the luxury of having a very good group of players at his disposal and i still think he can do a decent job with them. I fancy him to get us top 8 but more of a bumpy ride than it would be if we had a top a manager in charge. Pardew or anyone else, we still wouldn't be beating Liverpool to 6th spot though, we would just be more competitive.

Guest reefatoon

"It is the first time we have lost Colo and looked more comfortable than when he's been out in the past.

"We have proved we can cope without him and Cabaye and anybody because it is about the team.

"This is the end of a difficult period for us because we have two games and it could put us in a great position if we get a win or draw Spurs.

"I think it was a reward for some of the good work that went on before where we didn't quite get the results we deserved.

"There has been a lot more positive Press about our players who have been terrific."

I don't see excuses, no downers about tiredness, it's all positive stuff about a result at Spurs and performances so far.

Can't believe the silver haired cunt is having a dig at our Captain now        ;)

Can't believe the silver haired c*** is having a dig at our Captain now        ;)

Planting the seeds for a jan sale IMO

I pretty much assumed that he's buying himself out of his contract at the end of this season to return to Argentina & he's already told the club he's doing so.  It's the only way that he can return to Argentina as a player without breaking any rules, he's old enough to do it and he'll be far enough into his contract to allow it too.

When possibly the most negative manager we've had in my lifetime continually calls the fans negative...we just accept it and keep chanting his name.

I wish we were more like Scousers actually, then we might get something done.

:thup: Spot-on as ever.  This stuff's creeped in more and more since he's realised he can say it, get away with it and have it as yet another widely believed reason why he's battling adversity and doing a smashing job in the circumstances.

That's a stretch, like. :lol:

What's the aim of it then? Now that he's realised he can 'get away with it'. Why is he doing it? Is there an objective to it all?

Guarding himself against criticism isn't he? The same reason that he gets his excuses in early, we heard about tiredness before the Chelsea game but not afterwards because we won.

He's done a good job of lowering expectations, this is the next step. If our already low expectations (say, beating the worst team in the league) aren't met then we're still not allowed to be affected by it, and we're definitely not justified in criticising him or the team.

He mentioned tiredness directly after a 120 minute game against Man City, didn't he? Not in the build up to the Chelsea game. He may not have mentioned tiredness after the game, but I remember Gouffran doing so.

I don't know, this kind of dissection feels very womblemaster to me.

What about the second half of my post? You asked what the aim of his comments were, that's my take on it.

Guest icemanblue

When possibly the most negative manager we've had in my lifetime continually calls the fans negative...we just accept it and keep chanting his name.

I wish we were more like Scousers actually, then we might get something done.

:thup: Spot-on as ever.  This stuff's creeped in more and more since he's realised he can say it, get away with it and have it as yet another widely believed reason why he's battling adversity and doing a smashing job in the circumstances.

That's a stretch, like. :lol:

What's the aim of it then? Now that he's realised he can 'get away with it'. Why is he doing it? Is there an objective to it all?

Guarding himself against criticism isn't he? The same reason that he gets his excuses in early, we heard about tiredness before the Chelsea game but not afterwards because we won.

He's done a good job of lowering expectations, this is the next step. If our already low expectations (say, beating the worst team in the league) aren't met then we're still not allowed to be affected by it, and we're definitely not justified in criticising him or the team.

He mentioned tiredness directly after a 120 minute game against Man City, didn't he? Not in the build up to the Chelsea game. He may not have mentioned tiredness after the game, but I remember Gouffran doing so.

I don't know, this kind of dissection feels very womblemaster to me.

What about the second half of my post? You asked what the aim of his comments were, that's my take on it.

Dunno. It's your opinion. I'm not sure how I can comment, but I obviously don't agree that's what he's doing. I just don't see anything sinister about his comments.

Even if he is trying to lower expectations, managers always play up or play down their chances as befits their position and their objectives. I mean, Wenger goes to Crystal Palace saying they're a good team and it'll be a hard game, even though he knows Arsenal are going to walk it.

It's just such a non-issue, the amount of time wasted on it is unreal.

You're right Ian. The two are not related.

Is this sarcasm?

Absolutely.

Well played.

OK, well then my point was that every manager says whatever suits them at the time. Obviously our general attitude towards Pardew is coloured by how we're doing at the time, but that doesn't make his interviews any worse than anyone else's.

Anyway, not sure why I'm bothering with this topic, I stayed off it for so long!

Guest icemanblue

Can we stop comparing Pardew to Wenger and Laudrup just because they make excuses please?

When Pardew win trophies and builds a style of play which the entire club from kids to the first team employ no matter what then you can talk.

:lol: Alright.

Can we stop comparing Pardew to Wenger and Laudrup just because they make excuses please?

When Pardew win trophies and builds a style of play which the entire club from kids to the first team employ no matter what then you can talk.

Soz  :laugh: