Has the passion gone?

JH

I think what gets me down more than anything (other than poor performances) is the tiny club patter that comes from many connected with NUFC, which is miles away from the sort of attitude I grew up with when the likes of KK and SBR were in charge.

Can't say it has for me, I usually wish it had on a Saturday evening. Find it dominates my mood more and more when we're losing, a win and I can relax and forget about it.

Pretty much how i feel.

Yeah. I'm still like a kid at Christmas when I wake up on the day of a Toon game, but I find myself wishing I could just choose another sport after most fixtures these days.

I'm utterly fed up with it all, really fed up.  Some of that is up to getting older / other priorities but most of it is due to the utter sick we ate served up every game.

Eating sick does that to you,

I think what gets me down more than anything (other than poor performances) is the tiny club patter that comes from many connected with NUFC, which is miles away from the sort of attitude I grew up with when the likes of KK and SBR were in charge.

100%. The players being so collectively inferior has the same effect.

I'm beginning to think my "passion" hasn't left, I'm just sick of the s*** being served up. Just upset at our current plight I guess and coming up with reasons why it just doesn't feel the same.

If we get safety, fire AP, and etc. I bet many, many of us will sort of change our minds on everything. I hope?

It's natural to feel despondent when we're doing shite. Match days define the weekend - if we win everything's hunky dory, if we lose then the world can get to fuck. It's always been the same. I could barely muster the energy to give a shit in 08/09 but after a few months of winning in the Championship I was back to my old self.

I have found myself questioning the game has a whole much more this year than I have previously. I have a season ticket but this is the first time I've really been unable to follow the lads as much as I would like due to financial constraints. Some of this is due to my situation changing, but a lot of it has to do with away ticket prices which have been an absolute piss take across the board. As a result I've only managed to make two away trips this season.

I've always though ticket prices were extortionate but I've never actually been priced out of going to a game before. That's really made me question what the fuck this is all about and why I'm spending money I can ill afford to watch something that makes me thoroughly miserable. I haven't considered jacking it in and whatever league we're in I'll be in my seat next season, but it's posed a few questions.

A big thing for me is that I'm not bothered at all about most of our players. Very few of them have anything in common with me/us to the point where it's a bit distracting. I knew nothing of the players we signed in January and still don't really, so I've no idea who I'm cheering for.

Guest neesy111

I'm guessing that as football becomes more expensive each year despite the economy shrinking in recent years, then the more emphasis on value for money and the feeling is it worth it comes into the equation more.

Tbf, I do use match days more now for the drinking / meeting people more than the football.

I think we might be reaching a melting pot to what football fans in general can take and tbf attendances in recent seasons have started to decline and it's visible at most grounds.  Should remember we are probably going to have price increases for Sky and then BT which could take Sky's package to almost 100 quid a month which is unbelievable to pay for the new TV deal to which again the money will just end up in the players / agents pockets.

Definitely not for me, watching matches at the moment is usually quite painful but I still look forward to match day and wouldn't miss one unless I had no other option.  I want Pardew gone so I can start really enjoying matches again (outside of the odd game like Chelsea at home) , but my passion for the club hasn't changed.

Nail on head. I hate this bollocks "We can't financially compete with the likes of Spurs".

Spurs, the club who average 15k fans less than us on a matchday.

Aren't we the 18th richest club in the world in terms of revenue or something like that? No prick ever brings it up to him, obviously.

thing thats gets me- for a successful newcastle team, there is almost no limit to the amount of money our fans wouls spend on the club, we could match what the fans put into any club imo. so frustrating, ambition could be financed by the increased revenues it generates, so why not?

Guest ItalianMagpie

So apparently half the forum doesn't give a shit about us and football in general anymore :lol:

Can't say it has for me, I usually wish it had on a Saturday evening. Find it dominates my mood more and more when we're losing, a win and I can relax and forget about it.

Pretty much how i feel.

Yeah. I'm still like a kid at Christmas when I wake up on the day of a Toon game, but I find myself wishing I could just choose another sport after most fixtures these days.

When there's a Toon game, I'm more like a kid on "Everyone gets kicked in the balls" day.

I don't understand how the passion can fluctuate according to results. You either have it or you don't, it doesn't rise when you win and fall when you lose. That's more Man City and Chelsea stuff :lol:

Then if you talk about passion for football in general I can understand and I also somehow agree that is weakening, but it's a totally different matter.

I wouldn't say my passion goes down at all when we're struggling, if anything it increases. THat's when you most need to sing and be defiant. Dont think I've ever lost my voice like I did at Villa Park in 09.

This scrap is controlling my overall life more than footy normally does. I mean atm I'm just counting down to the monday night match, then Wigan's.

So apparently half the forum doesn't give a shit about us and football in general anymore :lol:

I care about nufc but I'm disillusioned with football in general, too much money too much sky sports, too much play acting!

Feel really apathetic/disillusioned about it all if I'm being honest.

Really couldn't have cared less about our games these past few weeks because in the back of my mind, I just knew what we would serve up - the same deep line/defensive s****. Having said all that though, I am never one to miss a game voluntarily so I naturally follow/watch the game on matchday even though I know I'm going to dread the next 90 minutes. Endurance is the key and I do find myself being as passionate as ever when the game kicks off/during the game - that is, shouting when things go wrong and screaming with elation if we score (pity the latter is rare these days).

The thing is though, Newcastle United are my club and I can never allow myself to completely block them out of my head. I know there's more to life than football but NUFC has contributed to my life more ways than none (helped me to integrate at primary school, for example) and all I want is what's best for the club. It pains me to see us in such a situation and I have allowed it to affect my day/week but at the same time, a great deal of apathy has set in but whatever happens I will never stop supporting NUFC.

The fans wouldn't have put up with this level of shitness a few years ago, they'd have protested outside the ground till Pardew was sacked, Reading was that day and it passed us by. Ashley has got exactly what he wants, dosile customers paying whatever the weather and never challenging him or his decisions. Seems the fans are either frightened of him or frightened of being tagged deluded, maybe both. Whatever it is its counterproductive IMO and this shit slides these days because no one is standing up to it and saying its not good enough.

Each time I think about us at the minute, I feel sick to the pit of my stomach and randomly let out an 'euch' sound. 

So f***ing s***, no match of the day hardly this season (actually deleted the series link) and haven't even seen todays scores because I get more p*ssed off when I see other teams/fans celebrating, no matter who it is.  Anything to do with football is pissing me off at the minute.  Can't even bring myself to reading half the stuff on this forum, although all the bitching going on lately has made that a bit easier :lol:

A win should keep us up but even that wouldn't help how I feel about us right now.

this season i've found myself not giving a fuck sometimes. almost forgot we were playing west ham this saturday until about 2:30. that would never have happened a few years ago, used to spend the whole day thinking about the match in the hours prior to it.

There are times where i want it to go, pack it in so i can enjoy myself and stop stressing all the time.... not even going out with mates stops me thinking about NUFC :facepalm:

Moral of story is that i'm addicted to a drug and there is nothing i can do to quell the addiction even if i wanted to.

Passion is that drug.

I actually enjoyed the West Ham match, because it wasn't on TV (four other games were on live at the same time) and for once I had no interest in trying to watch it on a dodgy stream. I zapped between WBA against Wigan (entertaining), Swansea vs Man City (boring) Spurs vs S'ton (shit until Bale scored), I didn't check our score until half time. I believe that this is at last a sign of my growing maturity.

Was pleased I was working through the West Ham game. Just had enough of the complete shit we serve up week in week out. If we got a more positive manager I'd go back to looking forward to match day in an instant. Actually can't wait for the day I log into here and the top thread is "Alan Pardew relieved of Newcastle Utd duties"

100%. The players being so collectively inferior has the same effect.

I few years ago, if you had a crap season, when the summer came, you had the belief you could challenge for Champions League spot/for the title, even if it wasn't realistic.

Now though, with Chelsea's money, Man City's money, Man Utd's dominance, Arsenal still being about...realistic success is top 6. That's what takes the stuffing out of people. Nothing to do with "tiny club patter" or whatever, just the realisation that us at our best is probably 5th place...and even last season that was mainly due to Chelsea being relatively shit for what they should be achieving in the league.