Has the passion gone?

JH

Can't say it has for me, I usually wish it had on a Saturday evening. Find it dominates my mood more and more when we're losing, a win and I can relax and forget about it.

Guest neesy111

I'm utterly fed up with it all, really fed up.  Some of that is up to getting older / other priorities but most of it is due to the utter sick we ate served up every game.

Sacking Pardew would fire me up again :lol: Losing all interest in us because of the dross a good bunch of players are serving up. Cabaye's pissed off and it's obvious. A lot are being played out of position. Criticise Ashley and last summer all you like at the end of the day it's the managers job to motivate the side and he hasn't all season. Hughton had us playing and competing with a far worse squad and we were 11th when he got sacked. This cunt has a top 7 team of players in a relegation battle and playing the worst football i've seen in my time supporting the club ( at least Allardyce's shit football had a plan).

I feel like such an idiot for falling for all of those lies fed to us by the Board. Supporting the 8 year contract, thinking AP was our guy and he'd learn from his mistakes last season, etc.

And the few that actually know me personally on here or interact with me in the US sports threads in the chat forum know how optimistic I am about the teams I love and  support, even though they are generally shit. Yesterday's draw and the quiet day at home sort of made me realize how far we've fallen under Mike Ashley.  FFS I was once proud to read how well our accounts are doing and that we're posting a profit. The fuck is wrong with me? They've drained my passion to the point where a game of entertainment and a sport I've played my entire life has me clapping our balance sheet and income  statements. 

I'm just hoping its a by-product of this shit season and that we'll be saved from relegation and we'll sack AP and hire someone to take us forward (optimism kicking in...slightly).

Before when we were relegated, everyone had a belief it wouldn't happen so there was a sense of getting behind the players. This time, the warning signs are all there and we are on a serious slide. People have just given up as it looks like the players have, and Pardew has displayed severe incompetence a lot this season too.

As has already been alluded to on here - you get older, and you realise what matters most.

You also realise you can't control or even influence what happens to NUFC.

Certainly I try to give less of a shit because there's enough in life to stress me anyway. If we go down I'll be gutted for a day, or a week, and then I'll get on with it.

I don't expect any pleasure from following NUFC now, which is why I barely bother watching or listening any more. (A shameful admission, I know). I was much the same last season, I think I may have just gained a sense of perspective.

I don't understand how the passion can fluctuate according to results. You either have it or you don't, it doesn't rise when you win and fall when you lose. That's more Man City and Chelsea stuff :lol:

Then if you talk about passion for football in general I can understand and I also somehow agree that is weakening, but it's a totally different matter.

The problem is that the passion for my club - which I will never lose - masks the soulless void that lurks within top level right now. When the team has a bad patch, and that can be just a single game, I tend to deal with it by withdrawing from football a little bit (avoid MOTD), try not to read about the game, throw myself into work etc etc. That has the effect of reminding me how ultimately silly it is that a large part of my happiness is governed by something so completely out of my control. It also means there's nothing to camouflage the state of the game - the ludicrous concentration of resources in the top two or three clubs (in every country), the wages, the cost of attending games etc etc.

The passion for the club is still there - it still hurts - but the whole exercise is invested with less meaning than it used to be. I get stick from Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea fans (no City ones yet, tellingly, but they will come soon enough), but it seems emptier now, devoid of the meaning it used to have when we were competing on the same level. And devoid of the extra edge it had when I actually respected the support they had for their club.

Can't say it has for me, I usually wish it had on a Saturday evening. Find it dominates my mood more and more when we're losing, a win and I can relax and forget about it.

Pretty much how i feel.

Every football forum in the world has at least one "it's just not the same any more / I don't care so much these days / I've lost the love" thread, and every one of them is posted in mostly by people who are agreeing, whilst they continue to dedicate hundreds of hours of their lives watching, thinking about, talking about and writing about football.

Every football forum in the world has at least one "it's just not the same any more / I don't care so much these days / I've lost the love" thread, and every one of them is posted in mostly by people who are agreeing, whilst they continue to dedicate hundreds of hours of their lives watching, thinking about, talking about and writing about football.

And often hundreds of pounds. :undecided:

not all but most, but also with age, 20 years ago a result really affected me.

tbh, its freed up loads of time for me leisure and work time, spend a lot less time on here or anywhere else conected with football- got half my garden looking lovely- by the time we are relegated i will have the other half done.

And often hundreds of pounds. :undecided:

Indeed.

I have to admit, even last season when we were flying there was still something missing. It may sound ridiculous but i couldn't enjoy it as much knowing we weren't playing at SJP.

However, I still looked forward to the games and I remember spitting blood at the laptop when Fulham scored their 3rd goal in that 5-2 defeat last season. But, something has been chiseled down every day, every week, every month since September 2008. He's won, and he's continuing to defeat us.

Like JH said, just 5 years ago we'd have hounded Pardew or Ashley out if we'd really wanted to. But now? People just don't seem to 'care'.

Before somebody commented on how 'unrivalled' our away support is. Really? Not anymore. Becuase the club penny pinch wherever they can and have systematically taken all the soul out of the club in just 6 fucking years man. We take the smallest allocations possible, we use hooliganism as an excuse to make people pay extra for away tickets. The whole thing stinks and it really has ground me down.

Yes, it may be because we're losing but deep down I know it isn't.

For me, it has and it hasn't.  Just want a team to be proud of then my interest will increase again I'd have thought.  In times like these it's a bit of an unwelcome distraction - I can't stop watching it but it does ruin my weekend a lot of the time.  I don't think that's due that much to passion either, just a frustration that I could be doing something better with my time.  Still love going to games when I get the chance mind, no matter how shite we are.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm still emotionally attached to NUFC and indeed the game in one way shape form or another but with every passing season and every passing year of my life I'm becoming more and more detached to the point where I now rarely watch it if its on TV (the game/games) and as for NUFC, I last went when we won 3-2 at home to Chelsea and only because the ticket was free. Win lose or draw I don't find myself too bothered these days and even relegation will not bother me too much.

A lot of this is down to Ashley and co and the way our own game is going here in England but moreso because quite frankly, I have better things to invest my time, money and especially my emotion on these days, namely my family and business. I also find greater pleasure in other non football things these days too.

I'll always love my football, even if it isn't quite as full on as it used to be, and I'll always love NUFC but not enough to join some mass demonstration, boo the lads after a piss poor defeat or to get overly up in height about things. Indeed the height of my passion is writing down a few (ok thousands) of lines on here but even that is something I simply can't be bothered with these days.

I'd much rather discuss cars or whatever other shit.