Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

That quote is gash. It's incomprehensible English and his point is shit too. Basically means Messi can only take criticism from Maradona. And Maradona is a fucking nutjob.

Obviously it's nice that he's calling Savage a useless cunt, but I'm not letting that cloud my judgement.

Take your point, but a lot of it is about punditry style and humility IMO. Savage talks too authoritatively and emotively (because that's his shtick). He'll say something like "it's criminal Terry lost his marker there, should be tracking that run, absolutely inexcusable - shocking defending but Sparky will be delighted as Stoke are 1 up" - whereas someone not particularly good, but innocuous, like Mark Bright, would say "Terry will be disappointed in himself for not tracking that run".

Don't think Terry would go after Bright. I'm just happy he's had a dig at Savage.

:thup: Savage's style is to throw as many opinions as possible on one topic out regardless if they're consistent in the hope that one sticks and he gets more coverage from it. Fair play to him, it's worked well because he is absolutely fucking everywhere.

Guest firetotheworks

That quote is gash. It's incomprehensible English and his point is shit too. Basically means Messi can only take criticism from Maradona. And Maradona is a fucking nutjob.

Obviously it's nice that he's calling Savage a useless cunt, but I'm not letting that cloud my judgement.

Take your point, but a lot of it is about punditry style and humility IMO. Savage talks too authoritatively and emotively (because that's his shtick). He'll say something like "it's criminal Terry lost his marker there, should be tracking that run, absolutely inexcusable - shocking defending but Sparky will be delighted as Stoke are 1 up" - whereas someone not particularly good, but innocuous, like Mark Bright, would say "Terry will be disappointed in himself for not tracking that run".

Don't think Terry would go after Bright. I'm just happy he's had a dig at Savage.

Exactly. Nailed it.

:lol: You clearly think a lot more of John Terry than I do. Just as a reminder, his exact quote was:

"On the first bit, it’s a case of, for me, we are where we are as a group. I’ve come under criticism, individually, from certain players and individuals, players I’ve looked up to and played alongside. I’ve taken that on the chin: Rio, Carra, Neville, the very best I’ve come up against in the game. I take that on the chin. When others speak, maybe I don’t take it on the chin. When players have not had a career, played at a really bad level in their career ... Robbie Savage being one. He’s dug me out a couple of times. You take it as a footballer, as an individual. I’ll take it from the Rios, Carraghers and Neville. All day long. From others? Nah."

It's not like I disagree with the point of what you're saying, I just don't believe for a second that's what JT meant. He didn't mean anything other than "Robbie Savage was shit so he can fuck off".

edit:

I mean, I don't think Terry's articulated that whatsoever but that's my view :lol:

Well this changes everything.  Fucking timewaster.

Wonder what he'd say if say Neville and Savage both criticised the same aspect of Terry's game. Both of them say 'his legs have gone' is he going to accept criticism from one but not the other?

Savage is a shit pundit. But I reckon Terry would have the same opinion if he knew what he was talking about. At the same token - everyone has an opinion on football so I can understand Terry's perspective a little.

At the end of the day - Terry's a gargantuan cunt. Savage's an idiot. It was funny but Terry performing Terry-bly is funnier. And I wish him nothing but misfortune in all his future career endeavors.

I'll wager you've never heard of 50s and 60s Norwich and Coventry striker Terry Bly. Seeing his name piqued an interest I have to say.

Regarding Terry he can get fucked. His mates can criticise him but no one else can. Savage comes out with some crap but he's right on this occasion and tbh it's refreshing for a pundit (no need for them btw. Just play highlights like the Arab streams do) to not just blow smoke up the arses of any fellow pro. Hate all Englishman in football tbh. They're all apparently untouchable.

CS4-hNcWcAAgGNi.jpg

Don't like the bloke at all, but he's absolutely spot on there like. Same goes for Andy Townsend and Robbie Earle, both nothing players commenting on what players competing in the Champions League could have done better.

Really? We might as well close all Football forums then because we'll never be as good a player as Gouffran or Obertan, or as good a manager as Pardew or Souness, etc. Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion either way on them like. :lol:

CS4-hNcWcAAgGNi.jpg

Don't like the bloke at all, but he's absolutely spot on there like. Same goes for Andy Townsend and Robbie Earle, both nothing players commenting on what players competing in the Champions League could have done better.

Really? We might as well close all Football forums then because we'll never be as good a player as Gouffran or Obertan, or as good a manager as Pardew or Souness, etc. Doesn't mean we can't have an opinion either way on them like. :lol:

It's different saying it on a forum or in a pub compared to saying it in front of the nation.

Some of the brightest minds and best analysts across all sports never played the game. It's a ridiculous opinion, although not surprising coming from a scumbag who must know he's past it but has to puff out his chest a bit more.

Guest firetotheworks

Some of the brightest minds and best analysts across all sports never played the game. It's a ridiculous opinion, although not surprising coming from a scumbag who must know he's past it but has to puff out his chest a bit more.

Completely agree with some of that but I think there's a clear divide between critics and ex-pros. Generally ex-pros are there only for that reason and don't add any insight. I think that mixed with Beren's excellent point about the nature of the criticism is why I think it's fair enough.