The other games today - 2012/13

Dave

Anyone watching the Ballack testimonial?

I did a bit. Guess Mourinho was there only because of signing Schürrle. :lol:

Great to see Ballack getting a farewell like that. Well done. :thup:

What's the consensus amongst the Germans about Ballack? I thought that in his prime he was the ultimate midfielder and as a name that over here never seems to get as much credit as he should. Certainly I'd have taken him over Lampard at his peak.

I also think he made a mistake going to Chelsea as he was never going to dislodge Lampard and due to the all round nature of his game he ended up playing several different roles that never really brought out the best of him but he did them anyway for the team. A bit like how I always felt Essien was wasted at Chelsea too.

I agree with Ballack to Chelsea being the wrong move for him. He was never able to consistently show is brilliance as a central midfielder, something he showed in abundance with Leverkusen and Bayern. As we seem to be quite fickle over here (we being the national press at large), due to Chelsea being the wrong move for him football-wise he'll therefore not be revered as much as he probably should be.

Essien I think was excellent for Chelsea. Been a bit of a fall from grace but he had a serious injury which kept him out of for about a year IIRC.

Morata should have handballed or something, Spain isn't allowed to score from set pieces.

Predictably stale performance from our U21s, after all the hype and the quality throughout the squad I'm getting the same feeling as before the London Olympics (which featured a few of these same players).

Anyway, they seem to be getting 4-6-0 quite well at least :thup:

We're unbelievably garbage here. Worst half I've seen us put up in years.

Right :lol: Sweden drew 0-0 to Ireland and Austria previously, those halfs were equally as bad.

We're unbelievably garbage here. Worst half I've seen us put up in years.

Right :lol: Sweden drew 0-0 to Ireland and Austria previously, those halfs were equally as bad.

Weren't as exposed as today. Outplayed first half. Back four one of the worst in Europe.