Premier League survival or FA Cup?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Survival because it leads to greater long term chance of success. How many non-Premiership teams have won the FA Cup or the League Cup in the past 20 years? Can't be more than two or three. Stay in the league and you can always have a good run and with the good players that you have, you can win cups. If you're out of the Premierleague then sooner or later you'll run into a team that is just so much better than you that there's not even the chance of doing a giant killing (see: Carling Cup final this year).

Our long term chance of success seems to have evaded you. It's currently at nil domestic trophies in 58 years, the majority of which we have spent in the top flight.

How so? I think our long term chances of success have been very clear over the past 20 years. We've made 2 domestic cup finals, one European cup semifinal where we were still in the tie with half an hour to go and we've had control of 3 other QFs ties only to crumble in typical fashion. All of that was only possible because we've been in the top division. A greater chance is not a guarantee. We've certainly had a greater chance of success over the long run due to the league that we've been in and the benefits that we have derived.

What I'm saying is I'd rather enter each season confident that we're at worst the tenth most likely side to win both domestic cups rather than have to hope that we're a one in a once in a generation team that can win a cup while not being in the top division.

To be frank, Wigan were always going to get relegated sooner or later, getting a FA Cup out of their PL years will be momentous for them.

That's true, but it doesn't help us decide.

I dare not putting myself in the skin of a NUFC supporter, I'm afraid I might get hurt.

To be frank, Wigan were always going to get relegated sooner or later, getting a FA Cup out of their PL years will be momentous for them.

That's true, but it doesn't help us decide.

I dare not putting myself in the skin of a NUFC supporter, I'm afraid I might get hurt.

We bruise easily.

Guest Howaythetoon

Btw I'd also rather win 1-0 than lose 4-3 although I would always prefer to win the League over the FA Cup...

Like Dave said, we've been waiting nearly 60 years for a domestic trophy, and we've spent alot of that time in the top flight.

I'd take a year in the Championship for a cup win, easily.

Like Dave said, we've been waiting nearly 60 years for a domestic trophy, and we've spent alot of that time in the top flight.

But that wasn't the prompt.  Who's to say it would only be a year?  That's just a possibility, as easily as being in the Championship for three seasons would be.  I think people are taking our last go in the Championship a bit lighter than it really was because we came straight back up.  If we hadn't come back up in the first try there would've been some much bigger questions to ask.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

We are a Premiership club. Unless we are struggling heavily with debt we would bounce straight back up.

Our finances are sound but we are still heavily reliant on TV money. If we don't get back up within 2-3 seasons we'll be on par with everyone else once the parachute payments are over.

But that wasn't the prompt.  Who's to say it would only be a year?  That's just a possibility, as easily as being in the Championship for three seasons would be.  I think people are taking our last go in the Championship a bit lighter than it really was because we came straight back up.  If we hadn't come back up in the first try there would've been some much bigger questions to ask.

Or maybe I just reeeeallly want to win something?

We are a Premiership club. Unless we are struggling heavily with debt we would bounce straight back up.

Our finances are sound but we are still heavily reliant on TV money. If we don't get back up within 2-3 seasons we'll be on par with everyone else once the parachute payments are over.

Yeah i'd be comfortable in us getting up within 2 years.

We all do, and staying in the Premier League gives us the best chance of that.

It doesn't like.

Only need to win 6 games to win the cup, got to win a lot more than that to win the league.

It doesn't like.

Only need to win 6 games to win the cup, got to win a lot more than that to win the league.

Who said anything about winning the league?  We have a better chance of winning a cup if we are a Premier League outfit with Prem quality players, not a bunch of clobbers from the Championship.

I want to see my team achieve success.  The only way we are going to do that is via winning a cup.

But relegation is failure.  I've been suffering mental torment at the dread of relegation for the past month. Being knocked out the cup just isn't as disappointing. Would love us to win the FA cup but not at the expense of being at the top of the English game.

Guest neesy111

I want to see my team achieve success.  The only way we are going to do that is via winning a cup.

But relegation is failure.  I've been suffering mental torment at the dread of relegation for the past month. Being knocked out the cup just isn't as disappointing. Would love us to win the FA cup but not at the expense of being at the top of the English game.

Finishing mid-table or flirting with relegation isn't success.  There's a reason why all football clubs have a trophy cabinet.

It comes down to what are we in the game for? These days it is more important for clubs to qualify for the CL than to win any cups but what then is the point in entering the cup competition? They were speaking about this on talksport a couple of weeks ago, asking if Chelsea would prefer to win the Europa or qualify for the CL and "Butch" Wilkins said the CL all day as it was more important for future development - what for, to "win" more money? I have been waiting 52 years to see a domestic trophy on top of a bus in Newcastle and after the relegations in the past with no "compensating reward" I would happily take that option - just once before I keel over for ever!

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

It comes down to what are we in the game for? These days it is more important for clubs to qualify for the CL than to win any cups but what then is the point in entering the cup competition? They were speaking about this on talksport a couple of weeks ago, asking if Chelsea would prefer to win the Europa or qualify for the CL and "Butch" Wilkins said the CL all day as it was more important for future development - what for, to "win" more money? I have been waiting 52 years to see a domestic trophy on top of a bus in Newcastle and after the relegations in the past with no "compensating reward" I would happily take that option - just once before I keel over for ever!

Because CL football is not only is good for finance but makes the club more appealing to the better players in Europe and hence more likely to win trophies?  :lol: I don't know but taking a trophy for relegation sounds like egoistical glory hunting to me...

For Chelsea, it's somewhat a valid argument as they could possibly challenge to win it in the latter stages with a couple great signings.

Just in terms of the runs of success. Would you rather be Leeds somewhat challenge for the title, SF in CL or P'mouth FA Cup win? Knowing both teams would get relegated and be in the lower divisions for at least the next 5 seasons? I'd take the FA Cup.