Premier League survival or FA Cup?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cup. Football is about winning trophies, about glory. Aye, going down might be shit, but you can move on and rebuild. We done it.

I would give both my testicles as well as relegation to see us win a trophy, we could start by having a decent run.

For those who are bleeting on about Leeds/Forest/whatever I'd happily spend 10 years floundering in the lower leagues for a cup win.

With a bit of luck the PL might have imploded by then anyway or the Euro Superleague formed.

For those who are bleeting on about Leeds/Forest/whatever I'd happily spend 10 years floundering in the lower leagues for a cup win.

With a bit of luck the PL might have imploded by then anyway or the Euro Superleague formed.

Definitely disagree with that. I know winning a trophy would be an amazing experience, but competing at the top level of football every week is fantastic. From our season in the Championship I've concluded I never want to go anywhere near it again.

Definitely disagree with that. I know winning a trophy would be an amazing experience, but competing at the top level of football every week is fantastic. From our season in the Championship I've concluded I never want to go anywhere near it again.

Don't get me wrong I think the Championship is shite but you'd soon acclimatise IMO and given our potential, as mentioned, I don't think we'd ever be far away from someone taking a punt on us if we did go down and stay down.

As others have said, i'd say CUP.

We've gone down a few times in my 39yrs, but came back within a year or three. I've yet to see us win a major trophy.

Though admittedly, this was kinda awesome...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/12/18/article-1097253-02D723F1000005DC-330_224x423.jpg

:iamatwat:

Survival - sorry but I can't bear being in a foreign country (I live in the UK) when im away flying home to only tell them I support a championship team.

Being part of the Premier League is more important for me. Competing and doing well in it is also another thing.

Also the way people assume here we can just easily bounce back like we did first time is scary. Leeds United anyone (weren't they and aren't they still just as much or nearly just as much of an attraction too)? Its possible.

Survival because it leads to greater long term chance of success. How many non-Premiership teams have won the FA Cup or the League Cup in the past 20 years? Can't be more than two or three. Stay in the league and you can always have a good run and with the good players that you have, you can win cups. If you're out of the Premierleague then sooner or later you'll run into a team that is just so much better than you that there's not even the chance of doing a giant killing (see: Carling Cup final this year).

Survival because it leads to greater long term chance of success. How many non-Premiership teams have won the FA Cup or the League Cup in the past 20 years? Can't be more than two or three. Stay in the league and you can always have a good run and with the good players that you have, you can win cups. If you're out of the Premierleague then sooner or later you'll run into a team that is just so much better than you that there's not even the chance of doing a giant killing (see: Carling Cup final this year).

Our long term chance of success seems to have evaded you. It's currently at nil domestic trophies in 58 years, the majority of which we have spent in the top flight.

Having waited so long for the club to win something, I'd want it to be absolutely perfect. Getting relegated days later would taint it, imo. Survival.

Yep, would have to be unadulterated joy. Wigan have done well but I'm not jealous of them at all.

Ok, so most people are taking survival over an FA Cup.

Let's up the ante.

Survival or Champions League qualification?

Doesn't that lower the ante? A trophy is infinitely better than finishing 4th.

:hmm:

Let me phrase it another way....Would you rather:

Have stayed in the Premier League in 2009?

or

Take the relegation in 2009 but have won the FA Cup right before we dropped?

You're saying that comfortable in the knowledge that we got straight back up and are ok now, who wouldn't go back and throw in an FA Cup as well? The fact is not every relegation goes as smoothly as ours last time. We'd be relying on players like Cabaye doing what the likes of Nolan did last time around, and can we realistically expect players like that to stay?

The instrumental players we had last time have all either left us since, will possibly be leaving us this summer (Colo) and have simply got worse since (Jonas), so if it happens again it'll be completely different. I think a lot of fans are underestimating just how bad a relegation can be because of our season in the Championship a few years ago.

I asked the question, in hind-sight, because it provided one view into the future (i.e. that we came back up) because everyone seemed to think that once a team is relegated then they never get back up. We though that back in 2009 and that seems to be the thought now. But we did come straight back up, so there is/was a scenario that you can win the cup, get relegated but come straight back up.

However, with each scenario, there is the alternate reality.....we stay up in 2009 preserving our PL status (so no cup win) but get relegated in 2010.

So was the decision to stay up a worthwhile decision (This is an open question not aimed directly at you Decky).

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Let me phrase it another way....Would you rather:

Have stayed in the Premier League in 2009?

or

Take the relegation in 2009 but have won the FA Cup right before we dropped?

You're saying that comfortable in the knowledge that we got straight back up and are ok now, who wouldn't go back and throw in an FA Cup as well? The fact is not every relegation goes as smoothly as ours last time. We'd be relying on players like Cabaye doing what the likes of Nolan did last time around, and can we realistically expect players like that to stay?

The instrumental players we had last time have all either left us since, will possibly be leaving us this summer (Colo) and have simply got worse since (Jonas), so if it happens again it'll be completely different. I think a lot of fans are underestimating just how bad a relegation can be because of our season in the Championship a few years ago.

I asked the question, in hind-sight, because it provided one view into the future (i.e. that we came back up) because everyone seemed to think that once a team is relegated then they never get back up. We though that back in 2009 and that seems to be the thought now. But we did come straight back up, so there is/was a scenario that you can win the cup, get relegated but come straight back up.

However, with each scenario, there is the alternate reality.....we stay up in 2009 preserving our PL status (so no cup win) but get relegated in 2010.

So was the decision to stay up a worthwhile decision (This is an open question not aimed directly at you Decky).

Unless you're a small club, have a small club mentality or are relegation fodder then taking a cup may seem plausible.