How do the fans respond?

Dokko

However, I remember my father's lecture in the 80s. He  said the fans are the biggest and the worst attribute of NUFC. Since they show up no matter what and the owners know it, it gives them carte  blanche to take the p@ss.

That is exactly what Ashley is doing: if you wish it to continue please proceed and buy the expensive tat and watch the garbage.

:thup: Sounds spot on to me.

In my opinion fans need to stop attending matches, it’s the only way. I’m done with the club until Ashley leaves and I would view fans who continue to attend as complicit as Ashley in making the club a national joke. I understand that for some fans football is only a small part of the whole match day experience but you could still get that without going to match, watch it in a pub etc. In short have some pride and get a life.

People speak about Pardew being humiliated if he stays in post and I would apply the same logic to fans who still attend, Ashley is taking the p*ss out of them and they are letting it happen. This is also about much more than a football club as the city itself is so closely related to the club, it’s just a complete joke.

Not attending matches might not get rid of Ashley but at least it would make him appoint a half decent manager that would keep things ticking over in mid-table until he sells the club. Even if he didn’t I would take relegation down several leagues if it meant he would go. I’ve got nothing to lose as I haven’t got a team any more………

I don't really know of any PL owners who make decisions based on what the fans think. They either care about on-pitch success or they don't. If they do, then it comes down to their ability to make the right decisions.

Obviously Ashley does want us to 'tick over in mid table', at least. Why wouldn't he? It's just that he doesn't seem capable of making the right decisions about who to employ.

I agree with staying away if, on a personal level, you don't want to give any of your money to the club with Ashley in charge. But to think it will make any difference to his decisions is just wrong IMO.

Guest icemanblue

See Stifler has been insta-banned there. Not the first person to use that word recently, like.

I don't really know of any PL owners who make decisions based on what the fans think. They either care about on-pitch success or they don't. If they do, then it comes down to their ability to make the right decisions.

Obviously Ashley does want us to 'tick over in mid table', at least. Why wouldn't he? It's just that he doesn't seem capable of making the right decisions about who to employ.

I agree with staying away if, on a personal level, you don't want to give any of your money to the club with Ashley in charge. But to think it will make any difference to his decisions is just wrong IMO.

I never said anything about what fans think, though I could think of a few examples where fans power has had an influence such as Liverpool, Man U fans, Chelsea last season. The reason I'm advocating not attending is that it would show the fans will not allow themselves to be humiliated and more importantly it would hit Ashley in the pocket. He might well then throw a strop and sell the best players, etc. but I wouldn't care about that as long as he forced him out the club at some point. As I stated I would take relegation down several leagues if it meant he left the club.

I'm not sure Ashley does want mid-table either if Kinnear is anyway connected to the club as he hasn't been appointed on merit.

Stop giving them money is a good start IMO. It won't guarantee anything, but there are few guarantees in life.

It'll probably guarantee less money being spent on fee's and players wages. Which in turn will likely see a poorer quality or less number of players coming to the Club. Which on the ack of a bottom 5 finish will weaken our hand.

Welcome to relegation.

The answer to the question posed is easy. If you don't like it don't go. Simple.

Stop giving them money is a good start IMO. It won't guarantee anything, but there are few guarantees in life.

It'll probably guarantee less money being spent on fee's and players wages. Which in turn will likely see a poorer quality or less number of players coming to the Club. Which on the ack of a bottom 5 finish will weaken our hand.

Welcome to relegation.

The answer to the question posed is easy. If you don't like it don't go. Simple.

Agreed.

Not all fans want the same thing in any case. For me good football is passing to feet and fast skillful footballers, but there are plenty who prefer old fashioned direct football with plenty of blood and thunder. So I don't see why Kinnear and Pardew can't provide that bearing in mind Kinnear's previous signings were Nolan, Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor.  That and relatively cheap seats by Premier standards it might still be worthwhile for a lot of people to go watch the game.

Guest Howaythetoon

To be honest, going to the match these days is becoming a chore anyway, and an expensive one. Usually you cannot sit next to (all) your mates, those around you are usually mongs who piss and moan at every opportunity, the atmosphere is almost always flat and the fucking football is absolutely awful to watch. You leave feeling angry and even more despondent. That's not healthy. Me, I'd rather watch it at home on the box or at the pub with a few mates and that's what I shall be doing from now on.

Guest neesy111

To be honest, going to the match these days is becoming a chore anyway, and an expensive one. Usually you cannot sit next to (all) your mates, those around you are usually mongs who piss and moan at every opportunity, the atmosphere is almost always flat and the fucking football is absolutely awful to watch. You leave feeling angry and even more despondent. That's not healthy. Me, I'd rather watch it at home on the box or at the pub with a few mates and that's what I shall be doing from now on.

:thup:

Walking away is probably the only way. Money talks. Sadly, any other form of protest will be in effective and ultimately galvanise those cowboys in charge to further ruin us. Saying that, last year was a silent protest in SJP and that didn't really work....

Cancelling season tickets and not swallowing up merchandise is the most effective way to force any owners out, but I don't have the balls/heart to cancel my ST. I love this club too much to do that, I'm too emotionally attached to nervously watch results come up on SSN, I've got to be there, venting my emotions and concern for NUFC.

But sadly this isn't really Newcastle United anymore, as we all know. It's a crumby vehicle to promote the most unflattering retail outfit in the country, as well as gaining wretched company's such as Wonga mass publicity- to add insult to injury, the criteria to work for the club requires a Cockney affiliation and no ambition. One of England's most historic and arguably most unique football club is completely soulless. It's so sad.

Not all fans want the same thing in any case. For me good football is passing to feet and fast skillful footballers, but there are plenty who prefer old fashioned direct football with plenty of blood and thunder. So I don't see why Kinnear and Pardew can't provide that bearing in mind Kinnear's previous signings were Nolan, Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor.  That and relatively cheap seats by Premier standards it might still be worthwhile for a lot of people to go watch the game.

That couldn't sound less appealing if you tried, but I just about get your point.

I just don't understand how not going to games will make it any more likely that Ashley will move on. And if he does, that we will get someone better. All you're doing is depriving yourself of watching NUFC, for no reward. It's frustrating to admit, but we are basically helpless.

:lol: Really?

I just don't understand how not going to games will make it any more likely that Ashley will move on. And if he does, that we will get someone better. All you're doing is depriving yourself of watching NUFC, for no reward. It's frustrating to admit, but we are basically helpless.

Yes, assuming you get any enjoyment for watching the football obviously.

well, inochi is being the voice of reason

shock fucking horror :lol:

personally not sure that kinnear can make the football worse, it's just the equivalent of letting your senile grandfather be the figurehead for your public relations company for no apparent reason

he'll be an utter embarrassment, this much we know, anything else we don't yet...i think it has more chance to upset the carr transfer dynamic than anything on the pitch

Well I hate to say that I was right along with many others, but once Ashley bought the club and showed his true colours with KK, it was out, until they are. I haven't been to a game or spent a penny that could end up in Ashley's pocket since then and that won't change until he sells up. This argument that people not going to SJP wouldn't affect him is delusional bullshit. Attendances of 25,000-30,000 every home game, with a embargo on NUFC goods and Sports Direct thrown in as a bonus, would have him losing money again, and definitely trying to sell. So the supporters still have the same choice as we did six years ago, do nothing and continue to get pissed on, or do something about it.

Ashley is taking the piss, laughing himself to sleep every night, why would anybody want to continue to financially support this oaf?

I'm not stopping going in an attempt to make a difference, it's just out of principle really. As it stands, I can't bring myself to give this club any of my money (if I had any lulz).

So very few if any are depriving themselves of anything positive.

Guest neesy111

I'm not stopping going in an attempt to make a difference, it's just out of principle really. As it stands, I can't bring myself to give this club any of my money (if I had any lulz).

:thup:

It's all about how happy you personally are with the decision.

Ian the football club is a car crash of an operation. I'm not even the hardcore, far from it but  I simply can't be arsed to pay for tickets anymore given what's going on. I love the club and ill always support them but there's more to life than forcing myself to go and hand over cash when I've become so disillusioned. This last act spells out exact what Ashley thinks in terms of ambition and football know how and the only eay I can vote is with my feet and not go. It's disappointing and it's s*** but that's the decision I've come to, it's the principle of it all.

The only way is to stop going to SJP and supporting the team, which is absolutely galling for you all who go, week in, week out.

Not buying anything in SD is certainly preferable but won't have any effect on MA (given the overall size of that business).

Low crowds at SJP is the only leverage on him we can get at this point.

Personally, as football clubs are a cash rich business (in matchday revenue terms) I honestly believe it might make some form of difference as low crowds are the only thing he hasn't really had under his tenure (which is quite incredible when you think about it)

The real question is; how likely is it? and how would you go about it?

Might sound a bit daft, but what about a full page advert in the Chronicle urging supporters to band together and not go for the good of the club?

Ian the football club is a car crash of an operation. I'm not even the hardcore, far from it but  I simply can't be arsed to pay for tickets anymore given what's going on. I love the club and ill always support them but there's more to life than forcing myself to go and hand over cash when I've become so disillusioned. This last act spells out exact what Ashley thinks in terms of ambition and football know how and the only eay I can vote is with my feet and not go. It's disappointing and it's s*** but that's the decision I've come to, it's the principle of it all.

Toatally agree and I've done exactly the same.