Sunderland

Nobody

I wrote our season off after the cup defeat to Cardiff. I couldn't give a toss whether we finish 8th or 9th. The only remaining thing that could happen this season to raise a smile from me is if the Mackems went down so us losing against Fulham and Palace wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Exactly the same for me.

We aren't gonna qualify for Europe, and will finish either 8th, 9th or 10th, none of which matter.

I'd be just as happy for us to lose against the bottom shite and the mackems get relegated.

It'd be a silver lining if we do lose, but I'm not at the stage of wanting us to lose for that lot. Football's gone if I start wanting us to lose for that kind of shite reason, loads of teams have to spend years away from glory or relegation, you still want to win one game at a time.

We could all be selective about how appalling other teams fans can be. I think the best stance to take is to admit every club has fans that are disgraceful, and then make sure the good fans condemn them unreservedly.

We could all be selective about how appalling other teams fans can be. I think the best stance to take is to admit every club has fans that are disgraceful, and then make sure the good fans condemn them unreservedly.

true, so why do so may Mackems claim to be something better,classy marras etc, when the evidence to everyone else is the exact opposite?

true, so why do so may Mackems claim to be something better,classy marras etc, when the evidence to everyone else is the exact opposite?

I don't think most Sunderland supporters think we're different from anyone else. I've seen our fans behave amazingly well, and at times absolutely terribly, as I have with fans of every other football club.

I don't think most Sunderland supporters think we're different from anyone else. I've seen our fans behave amazingly well, and at times absolutely terribly, as I have with fans of every other football club.

Regardless of what you think, this 'classy' mantra has spread like a rash amongst your lot online, almost always coupled with an 'unclassy'  jibe levelled at us. My post above is calling out the bullsh*t, as I'm sure would happen the other way round if we suddenly declared ourselves the ne plus ultra of the North-East fanbase.

Put it this way - one arseh*le took a swing at a horse and one adolescent idiot erroneously wrote 'boycoutt'...and ever since we haven't heard the end of either. Given the behaviour of some of the pond-life in the links provided, I think your lot got off lightly in return.

Sunderland have named former Chelsea chief scout Lee Congerton in a newly created role of sporting director.

The 40-year-old replaces Roberto De Fanti, who was sacked in January after seven months as director of football.

Congerton has left a similar role with Bundesliga side Hamburg, whom he joined in 2011 after six years in west London.

"Nowadays, recruitment is one of the most important areas in football so I'm looking forward to working alongside Lee," said head coach Gus Poyet.

After an unglamorous playing career that was ended by injury, Congerton went into youth coaching at Wrexham and Liverpool before moving to Stamford Bridge.

There he worked alongside sporting director Frank Arnesen, who took him to Hamburg after a backroom clear-out at Chelsea following Andre Villas-Boas's sacking as head coach.

where has the Classy label come from then?

Since the mackems won the derby

Newcastle (a) Won

Hull (h) Lost

Southampton (h) FA Cup 5th Rd Lost

Arsenal (a) Lost

Man City (N) League Cup Final Lost

Hull (a) FA Cup 6th Rd Lost

Sunderland have named former Chelsea chief scout Lee Congerton in a newly created role of sporting director.

The 40-year-old replaces Roberto De Fanti, who was sacked in January after seven months as director of football.

Congerton has left a similar role with Bundesliga side Hamburg, whom he joined in 2011 after six years in west London.

"Nowadays, recruitment is one of the most important areas in football so I'm looking forward to working alongside Lee," said head coach Gus Poyet.

After an unglamorous playing career that was ended by injury, Congerton went into youth coaching at Wrexham and Liverpool before moving to Stamford Bridge.

There he worked alongside sporting director Frank Arnesen, who took him to Hamburg after a backroom clear-out at Chelsea following Andre Villas-Boas's sacking as head coach.

Hamburg are in a terrible mess and their recruitment of players from Chelsea flopped badly. Surprised a premier league club would want him on board.

Appointing an ex-Chelsea scout just seems like making Marco Pierre White the head chef (if there is such a thing) at McDonalds :lol:

"What do you mean we can't afford any of these £30m players I recommended!?".

where has the Classy label come from then?

The latest mackem missionaries on here are certainly the blandest we've ever had, therefore probably the least offensive, but the attempts to lump all NE fans together are ridiculous.

They got 15K for an FA Cup 5th round tie, next game we got 51K for Villa with a pissed off supporter base and on the back of four consecutive home losses. They have a catalogue of appalling behaviour and racist activity, we had a pissed up fan who had a go at a police horse.

They try to justify their fans' behaviour by coming on here and saying we're all the same. We're not, and their time would be better spent doing missionary work with their own.

The latest mackem missionaries on here are certainly the blandest we've ever had, therefore probably the least offensive, but the attempts to lump all NE fans together are ridiculous.

They got 15K for an FA Cup 5th round tie, next game we got 51K for Villa with a p*ssed off supporter base and on the back of four consecutive home losses. They have a catalogue of appalling behaviour and racist activity, we had a p*ssed up fan who had a go at a police horse.

They try to justify their fans' behaviour by coming on here and saying we're all the same. We're not, and their time would be better spent doing missionary work with their own.

What's attendances got to do with fans behaviour ? I've already conceded earlier in this thread that Newcastle have higher attendances now, and historically, but I fail to see what that has to do with fan behaviour.

And we are pretty much all the same. You can post lists of terrible fans from Sunderland, and I could do exactly the same regarding some of the idiots who follow Newcastle, but what's the point ? The only thing that would be proven is that the main difference between us is the colours on our replica shirts. We're only 11 miles apart, we're not from different planets. Where I work is about 50/50 between Newcastle & Sunderland fans, and I can honestly say I don't prefer one over the other, except on derby days.

everytime a new mackem joins, he's either reasonable and he's welcomed at first he gets rounded on eventually, or they start reasonable and go mental, possibly both, i sense the start of him being rounded on lol.

Come on what do you expect mind, there is a fair amount of bias here against Sunderland, in reason of course I agree every club has their scum but of course everyone on here is going to think our support is better than yours :p Also ready to go is a hilarious cess pit and I have wondered if there is a reasonable sunderland forum somewhere hidden.

To be fair Stray Mackem seems canny. RTG can't be taken as a representation of Sunderland fans, I'm pretty sure there are similar forums about us, just look at some of the idiots who comment on Ed's blog.

Do I wish Sunderland bad luck?, yes but out of rivalry and I place Newcastle's importance ahead of whatever Sunderland do. In an ideal world I'd like it if we were winning things whilst Sunderland were a yoyo club. I'm assuming similar would be said for the majority of Sunderland fans.

Outside of football Sunderland is unfortunately majority a poor area like many places in the region, and like many places in the region or even the region as a whole it's constant downfall is due to lack of investment and political policies because the votes are guaranteed to one party and there is no incentive to invest there (and the region) until that changes. I certainly don't wish people ill because of who they support, and again I'm assuming that is the case in Sunderland as well and people who go on RTG and the forumers we have had on here trying to wind people up and the few who cause trouble at matches can't be seen to represent the majority.

And we are pretty much all the same. You can post lists of terrible fans from Sunderland, and I could do exactly the same regarding some of the idiots who follow Newcastle, but what's the point ? The only thing that would be proven is that the main difference between us is the colours on our replica shirts. We're only 11 miles apart, we're not from different planets. Where I work is about 50/50 between Newcastle & Sunderland fans, and I can honestly say I don't prefer one over the other, except on derby days.

I do agree with most of this... I occasionally work with a SAFC fan, ex-shipyard now training apprentices, in his late 50's so old enough to have seen both the highs and lows of his club and a more fairer-handed bloke you couldn't wish to meet, great sense of self-depreciating humour and always ready to laugh at SAFC's predicament. I also work with an absolute nightmare from houghton, shrill voiced and salad-averse, her every comment about SAFC is preceded by a comment about NUFC. And she has whole-heartedly bought into this classy/unclassy bollocks which is at the crux of the argument.

If this whole 'classy' hogwash hadn't surfaced, we could never have taken issue with it. It sticks in people's craw as it is so clearly bullsh*t and easily disproved. I suppose my question is - where and why did it arise?

Guest Howaythetoon

They got 15K for an FA Cup 5th round tie, next game we got 51K for Villa with a p*ssed off supporter base and on the back of four consecutive home losses. They have a catalogue of appalling behaviour and racist activity, we had a p*ssed up fan who had a go at a police horse.

What's attendances got to do with fans behaviour ? I've already conceded earlier in this thread that Newcastle have higher attendances now, and historically, but I fail to see what that has to do with fan behaviour.

Sorry but I have good friends from mackem land and work a lot there and as people and as a city we couldn't be more different, even as fans. There is a huge anti Geordie/anything NUFC bias in sunderland to the point of hatred and real spite. We on the other hand consider mackems and sunderland as rivals on a match day and good for a bit of piss take but in general, yous are pretty irrelevant.

My brother in law used to produce a beer called Toon Ale and whenever he delivered it to a mackem Asda or Tesco store, the mackem staff would kick his cases out of spite and display it shoddily and he would often get "can't believe we are stocking that Geordie shite".

As for sunderland itself, its a very run down area with little to nothing going for it and its people in the main seem to be a decade or so behind everyone else in societal ways. Racism is huge in sunderland for example.

A mate of mine whenever he comes to Newcastle or mainly the Metro Centre comes wearing his kit, same with his kids and lass. Why? Gotta put one over on the Geordies, bet they hate seeing us wearing our tops in their city ha ha etc. Reality, who the fuck cares? If anything it reflects badly on him and others because its so small-time.

But that's sunderland for you as a whole, small-time.

Sorry, but without wanting to sound arrogant or anything like that but there is no comparison between the two clubs, the two cities and most of all us as people. We are northerners, from the NE and we support unsuccessful clubs who by and large don't deserve our support, which in the main, all things considered is fucking amazing on both sides. Buts that's it. There is a reason your players prefer to live in Newcastle and why many mackems come to shop and drink or work in Newcastle and there is a reason why your club struggles to attract top players and why rival fans consider yous as somekind of NE runt of litter. And that's because yous are shit, a  shit club, shit city, shit fans, shit shit shit. NUFC are shit btw but Geordies are recognised as decent people the world over and Newcastle as a great City. That's why so many people come to visit our city, come to study here, to live here, to work here and why we and it continue to pick up awards and national and global recognition.

And this is from someone who regards our city as a bit of a tip these days.

Regardless of what you think, this 'classy' mantra has spread like a rash amongst your lot online, almost always coupled with an 'unclassy'  jibe levelled at us. My post above is calling out the bullsh*t, as I'm sure would happen the other way round if we suddenly declared ourselves the ne plus ultra of the North-East fanbase.

Put it this way - one arseh*le took a swing at a horse and one adolescent idiot erroneously wrote 'boycoutt'...and ever since we haven't heard the end of either. Given the behaviour of some of the pond-life in the links provided, I think your lot got off lightly in return.

and therein lies the tale. people confusing online with the wider world. hence why there are shockwaves on here when ther aren't mass calls for pardew's head during every game.