Sunderland

Nobody

We didn't get rid of all of our shit/disinterested players on ridiculous wages mind mate, a few aye - Owen, Viduka (both out of contract), Beye, Duff, Martins, Bassong were the main ones we moved on.  Kept paying players like Smith, Xisco and Butt until their contracts were up years later.

In reality the main reason we went straight back up is that we managed to keep a core of capable players at the club (probably out of sheer good fortune, as we seemed to be going for a fire sale and there seemed no takers) - a few more exits from the likes of Coloccini, Jonas, Nolan, Barton, Enrique and Carroll and we'd have been fucked.

We didn't get rid of all of our shit/disinterested players on ridiculous wages mind mate, a few aye - Owen, Viduka (both out of contract), Beye, Duff, Martins, Bassong were the main ones we moved on.  Kept paying players like Smith, Xisco and Butt until their contracts were up years later.

In reality the main reason we went straight back up is that we managed to keep a core of capable players at the club (probably out of sheer good fortune, as we seemed to be going for a fire sale and there seemed no takers) - a few more exits from the likes of Coloccini, Jonas, Nolan, Barton, Enrique and Carroll and we'd have been fucked.

Also played the loan market really well and signed a few players who ensured promotion. The emergence of Andy Carroll also helped obviously.

Harewood, Van Aarnholt, Kizanishvili, Hall in on loan plus Best and Routledge, combined with what we kept, pissed the league. 

Also played the loan market really well and signed a few players who ensured promotion. The emergence of Andy Carroll also helped obviously.

Harewood, Van Aarnholt, Kizanishvili, Hall in on loan plus Best and Routledge, combined with what we kept, pissed the league.

Mostly this.

We were in a position to gamble on a few kids. The biggest beneficiaries of that being Carroll and Danny Simpson. Had we stayed up the likelihood of either getting games time on a regular basis goes down.

With Carroll in particular that let him push on and be sold to ultimately finance our transfer dealings for a year.

If we went down again it would almost certainly mean more game time for the likes of Sammy Ameobi, Vuckic, Tav, etc. The extra experience might help one of them turn into something useful, and will definitely increase their re-sale value of an otherwise worthless assets.

for every 'us' there's a Leeds btw, just saying.

Leeds situation was unique, in as much as the players Ridsdale brought in were 'leased' and not owned by the club IIRC. They've never recovered from that.

Look, I'd rather we didn't go down, but we have too many s*** players on ridiculous wages, and getting relegated would be the ideal opportunity to offload them and start again, as Newcastle found out not too long ago.

there was an article in the summer we went down (an agent interviewed by the northern echo, if memory serves), which spelled out some of the less obvious financial implications of selling high earners after relegation. 

brief example was coloccini.  signed for ten mil one year before, paid across 4 years.  so we had paid 2.5m, at the time of relegation.  the article explained that to sell him, we would have to pay the rest of his fee in full, so 7.5m to pay (fifa regs, no pay, no transfer).  then, we'd have to pay a loyalty bonus, likely to be a years wages, to the player if he had not asked to leave - which he would not as he would want the contractual bonus.  thats likely to take our outlay to 10m, just to get him to leave.  if we got 6m that summer, we'd have paid 4m to weaken our squad, albeit for a wages saving of around 2m (guess).

if you want to get any players to leave, they will all cost money to shift if they are under contract.  a tricky business, in some situations you will be better off keeping them on your books, maybe hoping for a loan, but this doesnt put anything towards new transfers or wages. 

13 players can leave them after season because they are out of contract or loan ends. Players like Johnson, Giaccherini, Fletcher, Altidore probably would like to stay in Premier League or go abroad. Maybe also Brown, O'Shea, Cattermole. That is nothing similar to our situation after relegation...

Even signing a free agent isn't cheap nowadays and they would have to bring more than a dozen players. Again.

Not many 'established' Premier League clubs come straight up at all. We seem the exception. WBA & West Ham seem to yo-yo between the divisions, but while people frown when you bring up Portsmouth & Leeds, just look at Bolton, Blackburn, Charlton, Leicester, Boro, etc.

That season was ace. How depressing. :lol:

From February onwards it was ridiculously good fun.

Several reasons seemed to combine to make it such an enjoyable season once the depression of relegation and the horrible season which had  preceded it lifted. The post match beer definitely tastes better when your team has won - no matter who they are playing against - and more often than not we'd scored quite a few in the process.

Different away trips and the emergence of a - legend in the making - Geordie centre forward all added to the enjoyment (in tha faymas Newcassel numbah nine short - for any stereotypical mackems who may be reading)

Most of all, I thought the football was better to watch. Of course you do not have the quality of the Premier League but that was what made it better. Defenders who make mistakes and teams knowing they're not good enough to kill a game off at 1-0 just made it a more exciting spectacle.

I stand to be corrected a year from now if they go down and they're running away with the league but I think for Sunderland circa 2014 it will be very different.

That season was ace. How depressing. :lol:

From February onwards it was ridiculously good fun.

Several reasons seemed to combine to make it such an enjoyable season once the depression of relegation and the horrible season which had  preceded it lifted. The post match beer definitely tastes better when your team has won - no matter who they are playing against - and more often than not we'd scored quite a few in the process.

Different away trips and the emergence of a - legend in the making - Geordie centre forward all added to the enjoyment (in tha faymas Newcassel numbah nine short - for any stereotypical mackems who may be reading)

Most of all, I thought the football was better to watch. Of course you do not have the quality of the Premier League but that was what made it better. Defenders who make mistakes and teams knowing they're not good enough to kill a game off at 1-0 just made it a more exciting spectacle.

I stand to be corrected a year from now if they go down and they're running away with the league but I think for Sunderland circa 2014 it will be very different.

Don't forget to mention the Friday night game against Cardiff which Sky wrongly advertising as an 8pm KO resulting in loads of fans sauntering in to find us already three goals to the good.

If Norwich win on Saturday against these, that's 7 points between them! Even with Norwich's fixtures and Sunderland's games in hand, that's enormous in the context of a relegation battle.

Isn't Feltcher fucked as well?

not quite sure- mind if your reply was to me , you've misunderstood, I was talking about scoring goals.

True, but surely he's their best option, or has he done a Cisse?

looking woeful and disintrested to me. Looks like most Mackems are shouting for Borini up front as thier saviour.

Isn't Feltcher fucked as well?

not quite sure- mind if your reply was to me , you've misunderstood, I was talking about scoring goals.

True, but surely he's their best option, or has he done a Cisse?

Every Mackem I know absolutely fucking hates him. They say he's been utter shite since his initial good run of form when they first signed him.

There was a great Mackem phoned total sport tonight. Just kept saying "But wa still second bottom, man!" over and over.

Then another phoned in mentioning the amount of free tickets at the last home match, saying one of his mates got 16 himself!! :lol: