Sunderland

Nobody

They weren't. They were just very poorly managed throughout the season.

It was effectively the same squad that dismantled Spurs 4-1 and drew away to Man Utd in the opening day of the season.

Sunderland have a good manager with some decent players but mostly average

A serious question for all you Newcastle fans. I know lots of you will laugh when we go down, and I actually don't mind that as that's what football rivalry is partly about, but do you think relegation is such a bad thing ?

I've got to be honest and say I'd rather stay up, but I look at your team now, and compare them to the tarts who took you down, and it's like chalk and cheese. Relegation certainly done no harm to Newcastle in the longer term, and I've read many posts on this forum from fans who enjoyed the Championship.

It was great because we were great that season. We won lots of games, scored lots of goals and won the division with ease. We also saw the emergence of a real team with key players coming to the fore, Colo, Jonas, Nolan, Enrique, Barton , Carroll et al. Everything was immensely enjoyable about that season other than who the owner was and the actual division we were in.

If we had struggled however, we'd still be ruing the day we were relegated today because we'd probably still be stuck down there. Relegation for yous could be a disaster. We got lucky, will yous? Yous could easily do a Boro or worse.

One of the biggest factors behind our promotion which is often overlooked was the fans not deserting the club/side. The players knew they had our support and that gave them a lot of confidence, it also gave Hughton a lot of confidence. It was a case of well here we are, lets get out of it ASAP together. We all knuckled down and didn't wallow in self pity or sack things off.

If yous go down, you will lose even more fans and could well play in a half empty or less stadium and that can have a huge negative impact on everything. Indeed one of the reasons why yous haven't kicked on in my opinion is down to empty seats. A full house every week really can make a difference.

If I was a player and looked around and saw thousands of empty seats I'd be thinking well the fans don't even believe in the club or us and while you'd like to think professionalism would dictate how much a player puts in effort wise, surely it must be demoralising to see thousands of empty seats in the same way a 5-0 howking can have such a demoralising effect on players.

That's one of the things that truly sets our clubs apart and indeed us as fans. We stick with our club in the main. Yous don't, or have stopped even though you have an owner who has ambition for you club and has backed it up with money and managerial decisions.

Yous were 3-0 down at our place when we beat yous 5-1 and your fans left at half-time in their thousands. When we got tanked 5-1 off Liverpool in our relegation season, when the 5th went in an almighty roar of Newcastle went around the then still packed stadium. Gerrard afterwards who was sensational said he couldn't believe it. We gave a louder ironic cheer to their final goal than the 3,000 Reds did.

Don't get me wrong, yous are loyal fans, and both sets of supporters deserve better from our clubs and I cannot really knock those sunderland fans who don't go because yous have put up with so much s*** but if yous want to know why yous have never really kicked on, yous need to take a big long hard look at yourselves. There is no excuse really. You appoint a renowned successful manager in O'Neill and spend fortunes but still thousands of empty seats. Your cup attendances this season are a joke given how far yous went in the two.

Look at us, we have a slimey b****** of a manager who along with the owner has systematically lowered expecations and taken the fun out of seeing us play but we still turn up and we do this because we foolishly believe in a better future. A huge portion of your fans have simply given up on safc period and it shows in those pink empty seats.

If yous go down, the owner will surely sell up and you may well even lose your manager. If you do get relegated, I reckon it will be a long time before we play each other as same division clubs like, unless we also went down which under these clowns is always a possibility, see last season for example.

Great post, and not a lot I can argue with, apart from the empty seats bit. We did great at home in the cups this season when the stadium was less than half full. Our worst performances in the league have came at home when we've had over 40,000 through the gate. No, I can't figure it out either

They weren't. They were just very poorly managed throughout the season.

It was effectively the same squad that dismantled Spurs 4-1 and drew away to Man Utd in the opening day of the season.

Sunderland have a good manager with some decent players but mostly average

Aye, and Tiote, Simpson & Williamson apart, a weakened squad to the one that went down almost got us top 10 in our first season back.

I'd definitely take Ki from their current squad (or Swansea's more like). Supremely technically gifted with very sharp instincts/decisiveness too; which is great for someone who sits in a deeper midfield area.

Besides that, they don't really have much of anything besides Johnson. Then again, if they do get relegated, perhaps Altidore will transform into the beast Ameobi was during our season down there.

Not sure I would describe Shola as a beast. Didn't he only score about 10?

I'd definitely take Ki from their current squad (or Swansea's more like). Supremely technically gifted with very sharp instincts/decisiveness too; which is great for someone who sits in a deeper midfield area.

Besides that, they don't really have much of anything besides Johnson. Then again, if they do get relegated, perhaps Altidore will transform into the beast Ameobi was during our season down there.

He scored a goal pretty much every game and a half. If he'd stayed fit the whole season he'd have hit 20 IMO.

He scored a goal pretty much every game and a half. If he'd stayed fit the whole season he'd have hit 20 IMO.

Yup, started with 8 in 9 games too before Christmas.

Should be a bumathon given they were lucky to lose by only 2 to Norwich, but they seem to raise their game for the bigger sides. Reckon they'll only lose by two goals - unless they concede early in which case the floodgates could open.

Guest Roger Kint

The bookies aren't giving them much of a chance.  Betfair are offering 18/1 for a sundo victo.

Its similar odds on us winning for Liverpool by 4+ goals :lol:

Guest The_Optimistic

Whats going annoy them more tomorrow is that they will probably put more of a fight up and get beat narrowly.