Sunderland

Nobody

Whilst far from perfect,  even under Ashley our recruitment has been infinitely better than theirs whatever sums of money are involved.  Players like Debuchy, Santon,  Colo, MYM, HBA, Sissoko, Cabaye, Haidara, Marveaux, Bigi,  Anita, etc, etc are testament to that.

Despite the guff being spouted in the media right now we're still way ahead of them and most people in football know that.

Whilst far from perfect,  even under Ashley our recruitment has been infinitely better than theirs whatever sums of money are involved.  Players like Debuchy, Santon,  Colo, MYM, HBA, Sissoko, Cabaye, Haidara, Marveaux, Bigi,  Anita, etc, etc are testament to that.

Despite the guff being spouted in the media right now we're still way ahead of them and most people in football know that.

The problem becomes when our managers and coaches are of the level of some of the crap Sunderland have bought.

It's alright laughing at their spend when it's been by a succession of wank managers on garbage. If they stumble upon someone genuinely decent then that level of investment could be put to good use. Obviously it won't do much about their inferior city and half full identikit stadium but it's definitely a case of 'one day?' for them.

Same could be said for us could it not? We don't exactly have the worst squad in the world despite a limited spend.

We may have paid a pittance for the squad but the squad isn't worth a pittance. As much as Ashley is a tight fucker we have managed to get in a number of players worth a lot more than we paid for them so if we continue to do that and get a decent manager I don't see why it would be any different.

In principle yeah, but whilst he's here Ashley will always hold us back.

It's alright laughing at their spend when it's been by a succession of wank managers on garbage. If they stumble upon someone genuinely decent then that level of investment could be put to good use. Obviously it won't do much about their inferior city and half full identikit stadium but it's definitely a case of 'one day?' for them.

Same could be said for us could it not? We don't exactly have the worst squad in the world despite a limited spend.

We may have paid a pittance for the squad but the squad isn't worth a pittance. As much as Ashley is a tight fucker we have managed to get in a number of players worth a lot more than we paid for them so if we continue to do that and get a decent manager I don't see why it would be any different.

In principle yeah, but whilst he's here Ashley will always hold us back.

I definitely don't disagree with that, we have failed to push on a number of times. I just don't think Short is any better despite being more willing to back his managers financially.

I wasn't really comparing the two tbh, they're still shit and I'd still rather be us. Just saying that a club that's willing to invest will ultimately always have a greater chance of success than one that is not. I wish we'd spent that money, we'd be much better for it.

The problem becomes when our managers and coaches are of the level of some of the crap Sunderland have bought.

Never takes long to turn any statement on here into an anti Pardew tirade :D

Recent comments from Caukin, who in fairness is close to the action and pretty impartial would seem to contradict your view, but who knows ?

Anyway the point is that of all clubs, people are upholding Sunderland's recent  recruitment policy against ours which is ridiculous,  even laughable.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Sunderland have done good business and they look like a good team - going on what I've watched.

I'd say they are well ahead of us at the minute, Di Canio isn't having them play anything like Swindon did. They look a decent passing side.

I wasn't really comparing the two tbh, they're still shit and I'd still rather be us. Just saying that a club that's willing to invest will ultimately always have a greater chance of success than one that is not. I wish we'd spent that money, we'd be much better for it.

Well this is just nonsense.  It's not about how much money you invest, but how well you invest it.  Plus a club should never invest above their means.

Sunderland have done good business and they look like a good team - going on what I've watched.

I'd say they are well ahead of us at the minute, Di Canio isn't having them play anything like Swindon did. They look a decent passing side.

I only watched them against Man City but they looked like they were good without the ball but not with it.

Never takes long to turn any statement on here into an anti Pardew tirade :D

Recent comments from Caukin, who in fairness is close to the action and pretty impartial would seem to contradict your view, but who knows ?

Anyway the point is that of all clubs, people are upholding Sunderland's recent  recruitment policy against ours which is ridiculous,  even laughable.

I don't mean to do that i really don't :lol:

But yeah i agree, i just lack confidence in the club at the moment we have good players yes but will they be used correctly? i'm not sure i obviously hope they are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23481834

Thought he was supposed to be mint marra?

He was s**** every time I saw him except for one game. No prizes for guessing which one.

I liked him. A lot of potential. Was exceptional against Felliani in the Everton game.

He looked slow and ponderous to me except the derby when he controlled the game.

Wasn't really slow. His touch was fairly bad I'll give you that but I thought he was a player we could develop

As an outsider, and no matter how shit a season you had last season, I genuinely fail to see how anyone could suggest that their recruitment over the last few years has been even on the same planet as yours has, quality wise.

They've given a manager - Bruce - a shit load of money to buy a whole new team.

He then did that, the fans got on his back when - miraculously - this whole new team didn't gel really quickly, so he got sacked.

They then appointed a new manager, MON, who didn't fancy half the new team Bruce had only just bought (always problematic), but rather than use his budget wisely to get in enough decent players to use instead of the ones he didn't fancy (not to mention maybe selling some of said unfancied players), he went out and wasted a gigantic sum of money on a handful of "anyone who reads the tabloid sports section could have suggested them" massively overpriced, underwhelming British players.

Having then sacked him, they've appointed a total fucking nut job who will want to get shot of most of the players signed by both Bruce and MON and bring in his own.

It has been a total circus of a transfer policy for a few years now. I will be genuinely surprised if Sunderland do not go down next season.

Incidentally, it is this sort of short termism, chopping and changing that was a large part of the reason Villa fans didn't get on Lambert's back last season - we'd had a pretty good indicator of how that can worked out in our plummeting from sixth three times in a row to three relegation battles in a row.

Whilst all that is true, they have a chairman who is willing to invest, so all they need is to find the right formula for scouting and management. They may have stumbled on that now, as much as I hope they haven't.

Do they?

They broke even 11/12, spent about 10-15m last year and have currently spent less than 10m this year.

Hardly ground breaking investment. We've spent a similar amount in that period and we haven't spent a penny this summer.

They simply turnover huge amounts of players.

Whilst all that is true, they have a chairman who is willing to invest, so all they need is to find the right formula for scouting and management. They may have stumbled on that now, as much as I hope they haven't.

How much has he invested this summer?

Do they?

They broke even 11/12, spent about 10-15m last year and have currently spent less than 10m this year.

Hardly ground breaking investment. We've spent a similar amount in that period and we haven't spent a penny this summer.

In the past five years, i.e. since Short took over, their nett spend per season is 9.8M (7th), ours is -5.3M (19th). They have spent a total of 151M in that period on transfers, whereas we spent 93M.

Source: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

I don't think that even includes this summer spending, which will

How much has he invested this summer?

18.8M, of which he has recouped 12M, mainly through Mignolet. Source: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/sunderland-transfers.html

Which is a bloody hard thing to do in football it seems.

Granted, but it's clear to see their owner is miles ahead of ours. Not sure how it can even be debated.

Do they?

In the past five years, i.e. since Short took over, their nett spend per season is 9.8M (7th), ours is -5.3M (19th). They have spent a total of 150M in that period on transfers, whereas we spent 93M.

Source: http://www.transferleague.co.uk/league-tables/transfer-league-table-last-five-seasons.html

I don't think that even includes this summer spending, which will

Ah I know he has pumped money in previously but he hasn't this summer. 4million so far I think? Lots of frees and the mig money. Signs are the investment is slowing down.

Granted, but it's clear to see their owner is miles ahead of ours. Not sure how it can even be debated.

Because if he was they would be miles ahead :dontknow:

We got relegated, spend practically fuck all, came back up, a season later finished 5th making the Europa League and finished above them again last season. If Short was that great a chairman maybe he would have taken advantage of our slump where as they have stood still at best.

Because if he was they would be miles ahead :dontknow:

We got relegated, spend practically f*** all, came back up, a season later finished 5th making the Europa League and finished above them again last season. If Short was that great a chairman maybe he would have taken advantage of our slump where as they have stood still at best.

He's their owner, not the chairman AFAIK. He may not have appointed the best men for the job (yet), but Ashley's record is not exactly great in that respect either. In every other department he pisses all over Ashley.