Sunderland

Nobody

10th > 13th > 17th

Not going in the right direction in my book.

You're half way in understanding my argument. It's progress I guess, so I shall cheer you on. Now compare those to the ones from before he took over. Then, do the same to ours and consider which club has improved under their new owner, and which has regressed. There's a good boy.

:lol: Your argument has no logic. They're going backwards.

10th > 13th > 17th

Not going in the right direction in my book.

You're half way in understanding my argument. It's progress I guess, so I shall cheer you on. Now compare those to the ones from before he took over. Then, do the same to ours and consider which club has improved under their new owner, and which has regressed. There's a good boy.

We were going backwards before Ashley took over. He's been poor and made some horrific decisions but lets not pretend he took over straight after qualifying for the champions league.

Haven't Sunderland posted a ~£30m loss for the last three years?

EDIT - £27.9m in 2011, £7.8m in 2012 and £26.9m this year.

So they've lost £62.6m in three years.  Not exactly the best.

Man City's and Chelsea's are even worse. We better tell them that next year's Premiership table will be based on accounts posted, not points gained on the football pitch.

Probably why Sunderland have fallen just short of those two.

Way to miss the point.. I haven't said their entire setup is better than ours, just that as an owner, he is pulling his weight and not afraid to go in a different direction if things don't work out.

Simple question: would you prefer Ashley or Short as our owner?

Can I say neither? You can throw all the money in the world at managers but if the managers you appoint are constantly s*** it isn't going to do much (see Souness, G).

As I said before, at least Ashley has got one important thing right with Graham Carr. If Short came here, appointed poor managers and gave them lots of money so spend on average players would you be happy?

You mentioned earlier 'Imagine Short giving money to Carr' but ignored the fact that Short could have appointed his own chief scout who has those contacts/ability and Sunderland would be flying. He hasn't which is why despite making a lot of money available they are no further forward than us despite us gifting them our relegation to move out of our shadows and be well ahead of us.

Short like Ashley has consistently made poor decisions which is why neither club are where they should be.

Short has just appointed a new chief scout and a new manager. Let's see how it goes before blowing our own trumpet. I would say as a proposition we are far more interesting than Sunderland too, although the gap is fast being bridged. What top class managers would have come to Sunderland five years ago, or even now? The bottom line is they are moving in the right direction slowly but surely, whereas we are moving in the opposite direction.

And no, you can't say neither as that would mean we would have no owner, and therefore wouldn't probably exist.. :lol:

Well I wouldn't want either :lol:

Short has money he throws at poor managers.

Ashley has pennies he throws at a top scout.

Actually I go with Ashley as I believe we have the better squad despite no real money being available, a clearout of deadwood and a complete rebuilding.

Sunderland MIGHT go on to do well with their new set up but that is all guess work. Over the last few years I would say we have done better and are better placed to move on.

The whole sticking point seems to be "if the chairman/owner appoints the right manager", well I really believe if we appointed a quality manager we would be in a MUCH better position than them. We are a couple of players off a really good squad and about 4 players off a brilliant squad. Too early to say what Sunderland's latest overhaul of players will do but I would have really struggled to have 1-2 of their players in ours last season.

Funny how you mention their poor managers vs our good scout. What about Ashley's managerial appointments, including the one already lined up to replace the mediocre current one? :lol:

You're the one claiming Short is light years ahead of Ashley ffs! :lol:

I am, because he is. Bought the club outright, no loans to himself, invests 30M gross/10M nett on transfers on average per season, can resist the urge to not splash his company name all over the stadium. He's made one manager appointment that worked out relatively OK (Bruce) and one that didn't (MON; and even then there were plenty of people on here who wanted him here when he was at Villa).

Now compare that to Ashley: massive loan that needs to be repaid, negative transfer investment, makes a laughing stock of the club every six months, has a clusterfuck of a record for appointing managers. Oh, and he has appointed a good scout, who just happens to be a lifelong fan of the club, and who is rewarded for his duties by having the most embarrassing man in football as his boss.

I know who I'd rather have.

I'd rather have any other Premiership owner than Ashley. That's not to say Ellis Short has done any thing amazing with Sunderland. In fact Ashley with his 5th place finish and European football achieved more by accident than Short has intentionally.

Much prefer we were run like Swansea than Sunderland, some part fan ownership should be a stipulation of the league in a sane world

In a perfect world I'd prefer a system like Real Madrid/Barcelona have with president elections.

I'd rather have any other Premiership owner than Ashley. That's not to say Ellis Short has done any thing amazing with Sunderland. In fact Ashley with his 5th place finish and European football achieved more by accident than Short has intentionally.

I've never said Short is the bee's knees. He's just a lot better as an owner than Ashley, which says more about the latter than the prior.

Short just reminds me of Fat Freddy after he started losing it. IE he'll spend money but make poor decisions that means the investment sees no real return.

The only thing I'm envious of is that they spend money but then the majority of other Premiership owners/chairmen do that so it's not a unique trait to him. We seem to have the only owner who could but doesn't (I don't know the ins and outs of Everton's finances to compare Kenwright).

Sorry I still don't see it. Doubt the mackems would claim Bruce worked out relatively okay either.

Exactly, they've been screaming for the heads of the last two managers and the same will happen with this one. In fact, i'm pretty sure before MON left they had enough of Short as well (on RTG anyway).

Not seeing what Short has achieved with the Mackems to get such high praise from Unbelievable. We've finished above them the last two years, club is in better shape financially, squad is better, we fill our stadium due to good ticket deals. And this is with all with fucking Mike Ashley in charge ffs.

Sorry I still don't see it. Doubt the mackems would claim Bruce worked out relatively okay either.

Exactly, they've been screaming for the heads of the last two managers and the same will happen with this one. In fact, i'm pretty sure before MON left they had enough of Short as well (on RTG anyway).

Not seeing what Short has achieved with the Mackems to get such high praise from Unbelievable. We've finished above them the last two years, club is in better shape financially, squad is better, we fill our stadium due to good ticket deals. And this is with all with f***ing Mike Ashley in charge ffs.

he hasn't. he has however thrown a lot of money into transfers (his or the clubs i don't know) which many want us too.

Short backs his managers. Very well. As some others have mentioned he has pumped in his own money without asking for it back ala Ashley. He's made a couple of appointments that haven't worked out granted.

He also seems to want his managers to earn their money hence the sackings of both O'Neill and Keane who decided attending training was a bother they could do without.

With Di Canio, De Fanti and Angeloni in place it seems we're trying something different and actually have a plan rather than Bruce's scattergun approach or O'Neill's policy of spend a lot on certain British players without fitting them into a style of play (you were right Brummie. Sorry I doubted you)

So far I can honestly say I'm extremely happy Sunderland Football Club has Ellis Short.

Short backs his managers. Very well. As some others have mentioned he has pumped in his own money without asking for it back ala Ashley. He's made a couple of appointments that haven't worked out granted.

He also seems to want his managers to earn their money hence the sackings of both O'Neill and Keane who decided attending training was a bother they could do without.

With Di Canio, De Fanti and Angeloni in place it seems we're trying something different and actually have a plan rather than Bruce's scattergun approach or O'Neill's policy of spend a lot on certain British players without fitting them into a style of play (you were right Brummie. Sorry I doubted you)

So far I can honestly say I'm extremely happy Sunderland Football Club has Ellis Short.

:lol: 1 down. 48,999 to go

I've always found Sunderland fans fawning worship their owners/chairmen/managers to be quite unusual, almost unique and certainly in direct contrast to the way Newcastle fans view theirs.

Even after ditching Wearside legend Quinn, Short's popularity remains intact. It's not like he's moved the club forward since.

I've always found Sunderland fans fawning worship their owners/chairmen/managers to be quite unusual, almost unique and certainly in direct contrast to the way Newcastle fans view theirs.

Even after ditching Wearside legend Quinn, Short's popularity remains intact. It's not like he's moved the club forward since.

It might be because we had a chairman like Sir John Hall and so we know what it's like to live ambition to the full so we know full well when our current owner isn't pulling his (substantial) weight.

Guest Geordiesned

I'd never realised Sunderland has a gay pride march...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/Geordiesned/5C0ED582-07B0-4581-B4D6-3D145FAF084B-253-0000003E09DB3CAC-1.jpg

What a prick that Mackem DJ is;

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=793958

This is from the same clubs fans who sang about him pi**ing himself while he was alive and then came and laid shirts/scarves at SJP when he died. And we're the hypocrites eh? Although to be fair to some on there they did say a lot of the quotes were out of order.

standard RTG tactic of tell a lie often enough, some will believe it.