Sunderland

Nobody

Guest I-Was-There

That Vergini is the worst defender I've ever seen.

We thought the same a few weeks ago, seemed to have no concept of his first responsibility being to defend and also looked nervous and capable of falling over at any moment but since he's deputised for Bardsley at RB he's started to look canny and has actually kept Bardsley out even after suspension. Most fans choice for MOTM at Old Trafford on Saturday. Could end up being a useful squad player (probably no more than that admittedly) for £500k IMO. Maybe as a RB rather than a CB but you never know, it takes time for South American CBs to learn how to play in this country, even if they have the ability - as you lot know yourself with Coloccini.

What do you think will happen over there this summer seriously? Much to spend? Will you renew the current contracts of those running down/sign your loanees? Can see another season of struggle for you and of course, 6 points off us.

Assuming we stay up and I think we're almost certainties now I think we need 8 or 9 new players alongside hopefully a new deal for Wor Jackie (;)) and maybe Seb Larsson and permanent deals for Vergini and Alonso. All the other loanees (I'd like Borini to stay of course but realistically he isn't going to) and out of contracts can go. Hopefully shift Steven Fletcher as well, maybe Altidore.

So another huge rebuild and turnover of players, hopefully the last one needed for some time as it's certainly not the recipe for stability or success. We must get this one right as obviously the majority of last summers influx didn't work at all and we won't even have the Bruce/MO'N era players to fall back on like we have done this year (not that they're much good).

Would leave us with a squad of

Mannone, New GK

New RB, Alonso, New CB, Vergini, Brown, O'Shea

Cattermole, Bridcutt, Colback, Larsson, New CM, New CM

Johnson, Giaccherini, New Wide Player

Wickham, New ST, New ST, Scocco

Backed up by the young 'uns. Clearly the new signings would have to be decent and capable of playing straight away if we were to do anything other than be right in the s***e again as they'd form such a key part of the squad. The CB particularly as Brown and O'Shea whilst capable(ish) aren't getting any younger. Also need some creativity in midfield desperately and unless Wickham can continue his current run of form consistently (I'm not sure) we are desperate for someone to score goals. Fletcher and Altidore have been pathetic this season.

That is potentially a hell of a lot of money to be spent, you reckon Short will do it again?

Guest I-Was-There

What do you think will happen over there this summer seriously? Much to spend? Will you renew the current contracts of those running down/sign your loanees? Can see another season of struggle for you and of course, 6 points off us.

Assuming we stay up and I think we're almost certainties now I think we need 8 or 9 new players alongside hopefully a new deal for Wor Jackie (;)) and maybe Seb Larsson and permanent deals for Vergini and Alonso. All the other loanees (I'd like Borini to stay of course but realistically he isn't going to) and out of contracts can go. Hopefully shift Steven Fletcher as well, maybe Altidore.

So another huge rebuild and turnover of players, hopefully the last one needed for some time as it's certainly not the recipe for stability or success. We must get this one right as obviously the majority of last summers influx didn't work at all and we won't even have the Bruce/MO'N era players to fall back on like we have done this year (not that they're much good).

Mannone, New GK

Backed up by the young 'uns. Clearly the new signings would have to be decent and capable of playing straight away if we were to do anything other than be right in the s***e again as they'd form such a key part of the squad. The CB particularly as Brown and O'Shea whilst capable(ish) aren't getting any younger. Also need some creativity in midfield desperately and unless Wickham can continue his current run of form consistently (I'm not sure) we are desperate for someone to score goals. Fletcher and Altidore have been pathetic this season.

That is potentially a hell of a lot of money to be spent, you reckon Short will do it again?

Honestly no idea mate. We require that many players just to flesh out a 20-odd man squad, simply because of the number of loans and out of contracts we have at the moment.

The question is, will we do it on the cheap or will we see big investment. I imagine we'll half-way house it at about a £15-20million spend plus anything we recoup on the likes of Fletcher, Altidore, Danny Graham, Alfred N'Diaye (who tbf, I wouldn't mind taking another look at but seems he's off) etc.

Think Gus/Lee Congerton (lot of responsibility on this lads shoulders, time will tell if he is capable) will have to unearth some cheap foreign gems (easier said than done!) to supplement some decent money spends on more proven players if we're to move on to the next tier of the PL that we should be aiming to finish in next season (lower mid-table). Huge summer for us. Could easily go down with 20 points next year if we get it wrong.

Guest bimpy474

I-Was-There eh ?

Until the new season starts  ----- I-Was There......

New Season starts ----- I-Was-Slightly-Annoying....

1 Month in ------ I-Was-A-Gimp....

2 Months in ----- I-Was-Gone....

That's how it'll play out imo.

Guest I-Was-There

These f***ers had a far more exciting season than we did.

It truly has been a mental season

14 new players

1 point from opening 8 games

The Di Canio meltdown/players revolt s***

Gus comes in

Di Fanti is chucked

2 wins over you lot

Gus as supposed messiah as he leads us out of the relegation zone

Gus then loses his marbles and back to the bottom we go

Ridiculous penalty shoot-out win in a semi final

Wembley, amazing weekend, lead for an hour

Dead and buried in the league

Gus finds his marbles, Wickham comes in long after we'd given up on him

Beat Chelsea, Man Utd and draw with City away

Almost safe with 2 games to go

even they managed to win at Old Trafford (twice!) thereby beating our biggest achievement this season  :okay:

I-Was-There eh ?

Until the new season starts  ----- I-Was There......

New Season starts ----- I-Was-Slightly-Annoying....

1 Month in ------ I-Was-A-Gimp....

2 Months in ----- I-Was-Gone....

That's how it'll play out imo.

From past experience. This is how it'll go :lol:

Guest I-Was-There

even they managed to win at Old Trafford (twice!) thereby beating our biggest achievement this season  :okay:

We lost 2-1 at Old Trafford in the cup tbf

Mannone, New GK

Honestly no idea mate. We require that many players just to flesh out a 20-odd man squad, simply because of the number of loans and out of contracts we have at the moment.

The question is, will we do it on the cheap or will we see big investment. I imagine we'll half-way house it at about a £15-20million spend plus anything we recoup on the likes of Fletcher, Altidore, Danny Graham, Alfred N'Diaye (who tbf, I wouldn't mind taking another look at but seems he's off) etc.

Think Gus/Lee Congerton (lot of responsibility on this lads shoulders, time will tell if he is capable) will have to unearth some cheap foreign gems (easier said than done!) to supplement some decent money spends on more proven players if we're to move on to the next tier of the PL that we should be aiming to finish in next season (lower mid-table). Huge summer for us. Could easily go down with 20 points next year if we get it wrong.

:thup:

As you say, won't be easy getting that amount of players in on a tight budget. At least you lot will spend money!

true. sorry my mistake. but I guess you can still count it as a "win" of sorts...

We thought the same a few weeks ago, seemed to have no concept of his first responsibility being to defend and also looked nervous and capable of falling over at any moment but since he's deputised for Bardsley at RB he's started to look canny and has actually kept Bardsley out even after suspension. Most fans choice for MOTM at Old Trafford on Saturday. Could end up being a useful squad player (probably no more than that admittedly) for £500k IMO. Maybe as a RB rather than a CB but you never know, it takes time for South American CBs to learn how to play in this country, even if they have the ability - as you lot know yourself with Coloccini.

Nah, hes shit.

Guest I-Was-There

true. sorry my mistake. but I guess you can still count it as a "win" of sorts...

Never celebrated a loss like it before so aye  :lol:

Guest I-Was-There

Nah, hes s***.

I bow to your clearly superior knowledge :thup:

Nah, hes s***.

:lol: fs

Nah, hes s***.

Well reasoned out that :lol:

Is Poyet going to be around to spend all that money on rebuilding the squad? He's only got a year left on the contract and he hasn't exactly committed himself to wearside.