Sunderland

Nobody

But if it was a different charge (rape) would that not have been set out from the beginning?

Aye they cannot charge him for rape now, but it reads like he's deffinitely sexually assaulted her. I'm assuming it's just harder to prove so they never pushed for it.

Where's the N-O lawyer squadron at?

Sexual activity with a child are the two outstanding charges. There is an element of coercion but the evidence suggests she was reluctantly consenting rather than refusing. If you think of sexual activity with a child as statutory rape then it makes more sense.

I guess the defence will be that the only proof (unless it changes) is her word versus his?

Having no experience of courts... how the hell do you judge that then? From who's more believable? Cause surely a 28 year old is more believable than a onlyjust15yearold

But if it was a different charge (rape) would that not have been set out from the beginning?

Aye they cannot charge him for rape now, but it reads like he's deffinitely sexually assaulted her. I'm assuming it's just harder to prove so they never pushed for it.

Sexual activity with a child are the two outstanding charges. There is an element of coercion but the evidence suggests she was reluctantly consenting rather than refusing. If you think of sexual activity with a child as statutory rape then it makes more sense.

I guess the defence will be that the only proof (unless it changes) is her word versus his?

Having no experience of courts... how the hell do you judge that then? From who's more believable? Cause surely a 28 year old is more believable than a onlyjust15yearold

This 28 year old has just pleaded guilty to grooming and sexual activity with a child though.

There is a real benefit in sitting in Court and listening to the evidence first hand. Often you can clearly see who is credible. Children are often more credible witnesses because there is a perception they are less likely to lie in the given context.

Guest firetotheworks

Surely why?

I just wonder (making a massive assumption), if he's tried to bag himself this young lass who could be from a more working class background lets say, with a view to trying to groom her and keep her gob shut in the process? I guess we may get an idea at the end of the trial - if true though - proper predatory behaviour.

There is a real benefit in sitting in Court and listening to the evidence first hand. Often you can clearly see who is credible. Children are often more credible witnesses because there is a perception they are less likely to lie in the given context.

Ah fair enough, that makes sense :thup:

Yeah.  I mean I suppose the messages point towards something more happening and makes Johnson come across as a real predator.  Johnson has pleaded guilty to grooming, kissing and touching her body in a sexual way.  But yeah.  I suppose him saying he didn't finger bang her or make her suck him off, would be more believable than what the 15 year old is saying :lol: 

:carverlick:

Will be interesting to see what the defence comes up with.

Would they try and make it out that she was just as willing as him and therefore the other two charges won't be true?

I very much doubt they'd use that defense like. :lol: It would be total speculation, but possibly the proof in those texts only shows that 'something' happened and he's claimed that it's a kiss.

I assume the defence will be 'he didn't do, there's no evidence to prove he did'.

The defence will be more manipulative towards the girl.

'You admired him, and when you met up with him you were hoping for more than a kiss and the defendant didn't go further than that did he? Because he never went further you felt hurt by him and you wanted to hurt him like he hurt you by saying these things to get him into trouble, didn't you?'

Stuff like that. It's pretty hard in cases like this where there is plenty of evidence to suggest it did happen, then defense will be aiming to get a degree of doubt into the minds of the jury at the expense of the girl. She has already said that she admired him, is a big fan, and never wanted to tell anyone about it, so they will just play on that hoping she turns her back on the claims.

You'd think that being a minor they won't be allowed to cross examine her directly, however they can bring her statement into question and put an element of doubt in the juries mind with those questions.

It's going to be hard to put an element of doubt in the juries mind when they met in the back of a car behind a takeaway.

Ah fair enough, that makes sense :thup:

FWIW in a lot of cases one persons word against another is a real difficult issue to get around for the Crown.

It's a shame its taken an act of vile, predatory abuse to help the word 'geet' reach a national audience, but i feel this a small positive ray of light from a dark story.

:lol: It's legit one of my fave words.  Use it frequently.  Geet shan to call it radge.