Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

I'm not really sure what we are playing at here, unless it was an attempt to make Fulham look like over-spending mugs. Fine if we don't want him, out of the three targets he's the one I'd least want, but why pursue him in the first place unless it was to placate Pardew?

We knew Fulham was in the hat for buying him. So it makes no sense to go in this low really. If nobody wanted him I can understand us working up from that starting point and getting him cheaper than what they want.

:undecided:

We're so small-time it's unreal. Zero ambition, zero investment, we're now 100% bottom-feeders - feeding on the scum.

We can't even be arsed to spend the money we generate let alone any money our owner provides to push the club forward. We're £750k in the black since the season finished 2 and a half months ago.

It is what the club would like to call "being realistic" in its current place in the footballing world.

Problem is we are so bloody conservative on this side yet the board is willing to take the biggest gambles possible in appointing Kinnear and keeping Pardew.

Frustrating doesn't even cover it. Would love him to once take a gamble like that on the playing side and splurge. Problem is our hardball tactics usually pay off and we were let off the hook last season by other clubs being somehow worse than us. Should have been a warning.. instead Ashley obviously has a taste of the thrill that comes playing with the live explosive that is our club, that fact it might go off at any moment just drives him more.

It's annoying that there is literally nobody to be questioned about the shambles. Pardew is the only spokesman the press can ask about anything and he's basically a puppet with no influence in the slightest.

I'm not really sure what we are playing at here, unless it was an attempt to make Fulham look like over-spending mugs. Fine if we don't want him, out of the three targets he's the one I'd least want, but why pursue him in the first place unless it was to placate Pardew?

We knew Fulham was in the hat for buying him. So it makes no sense to go in this low really. If nobody wanted him I can understand us working up from that starting point and getting him cheaper than what they want.

Unless the whole point was just trolling Bent for the sake of it. We have been happy to pay far more than that to players we really want here.

Unless the whole point was just trolling Bent for the sake of it. We have been happy to pay far more than that to players we really want here.

I see the point but just can't understand why we would waste our time. We should be focusing on making real bids that will come off and help the squad.

Or trolling Pards. "We'll do our damndest to get him in, Alan." :troll:

We probably thought he'd be cheap with the whole situation at Villa. Like someone said, it's more to do with what we value a player (and re-sale value) than the fee itself. Last 12 months we've bid £10-12m for De Jong & Aubameyang, £7-8m for Remy, nearly £7m for Gomis...

And lets be honest, Ashley is going to concentrate on Rangers now. He buys them and its up up up with minimal outlay. A club where millions buy their shirts. When he's exploited them for all they're worth, he'll give up on them too. As long as the shirts are flying off the shelf at maximum profit and Sports Direct are being promoted he couldn't really give a fuck.

Even our club shop, i don't believe for a second the club are seeing any of the money it makes. It will basically be another Sports Direct in all but name. They were bombarding me with emails trying to sell tat from the club shop. I just sent a simple reply back telling them to fuck off, and I got an email back from Sports Direct saying my comments had been noted and they would be replying to me.

Or trolling Pards. "We'll do our damndest to get him in, Alan." :troll:

I think there's a bit of that in there tbh, and if his idea was to play him as a withdrawn striker then he probably deserves it.

We probably thought he'd be cheap with the whole situation at Villa. Like someone said, it's more to do with what we value a player (and re-sale value) than the fee itself. Last 12 months we've bid £10-12m for De Jong & Aubameyang, £7-8m for Remy, nearly £7m for Gomis...

It's just a shame that this has fuck all to do with football really.

How old is Cisse...28/29? Would we agree to sell him for £3-4m since he has no resale value?

I'd be worried had we paid £6m and paid near enough his current wages. I'm sure the same people who are complaining about the offer and the lack of signings would have been calling this a shit move for us a few months down the line when we can't get bent and Cisse to work together or Pardew just generally struggling to get anything out of him at all. Then you'd have an ageing player well past his best, unmotivated sitting on a fat contract seeing his days out till retirement restricting us from buying the kind of player we should in the first place.

For me It's like missing out on Kone, literally 1 day after he moved everyone forgot about him, this should be the same and would be had we got someone in, we haven't but we will IMO and when that happens we will all be glad we missed out on Darren fucking bent and brought in some quality we can all get behind now and in the future.

How old is Cisse...28/29? Would we agree to sell him for £3-4m since he has no resale value?

If we made him train with the reserves and told him he had no future we may have backed ourselves into a corner.

This isn't a defence of our set up by the way, I have posted a couple of times recently about how I don't understand how clubs can so publicly put a player on the naughty step then demand maximum value from others who may be interested.

I've never been in favour of a move for Bent, but anyone on here could have told them that it would take around £6m and wages of around 60k to get him. If this is true then it's not that we're tight it's that we're playing silly c***s, pretending to be active in the transfer market.

Guest bimpy474

Personally think Lamberts treatment of Bent is terrible, and not warranted as Bent hasn't been a trouble maker.

I'd be worried had we paid £6m and paid near enough his current wages. I'm sure the same people who are complaining about the offer and the lack of signings would have been calling this a shit move for us a few months down the line when we can't get bent and Cisse to work together or Pardew just generally struggling to get anything out of him at all. Then you'd have an ageing player well past his best, unmotivated sitting on a fat contract seeing his days out till retirement restricting us from buying the kind of player we should in the first place.

For me It's like missing out on Kone, literally 1 day after he moved everyone forgot about him, this should be the same and would be had we got someone in, we haven't but we will IMO and when that happens we will all be glad we missed out on Darren fucking bent and brought in some quality we can all get behind now and in the future.

Fair enough, but that means we should never have been in for him in the first place.

I'd be worried had we paid £6m and paid near enough his current wages. I'm sure the same people who are complaining about the offer and the lack of signings would have been calling this a s*** move for us a few months down the line when we can't get bent and Cisse to work together or Pardew just generally struggling to get anything out of him at all. Then you'd have an ageing player well past his best, unmotivated sitting on a fat contract seeing his days out till retirement restricting us from buying the kind of player we should in the first place.

For me It's like missing out on Kone, literally 1 day after he moved everyone forgot about him, this should be the same and would be had we got someone in, we haven't but we will IMO and when that happens we will all be glad we missed out on Darren f***ing bent and brought in some quality we can all get behind now and in the future.

For me, its nothing to do with the actual player. It's that we've pissed about for a month or two pretending to go after this player then made a bid that was never going to be accepted and a wage offer that the player would never accept. The actual player is irrelevant.

Fair enough, but that means we should never have been in for him in the first place.

For me:

We just don't rate him and he was a contingency plan should Cisse leave. If we get Gomis or Remy in loan or transfer we've done the right thing with bent IMO.

The interest was never strong, we wanted him in case Cisse fucked off and with Cisse now staying we've low balled them just in case they do get desperate. We'd take him for that offer I'm sure, and if Cisse didn't resolve his issues, £5m ish bids plus a respectable wage would be being talked about, had Cisse gone the other way and handed in a transfer request we'd be matching fulhams supposed offer.

It's all down to that situation, it's worked in our favour Cisse staying, we just don't need him any more. Gomis & Remy are our main targets and offer a different game to bent which should strike up better with Cisse.

I'd be worried had we paid £6m and paid near enough his current wages. I'm sure the same people who are complaining about the offer and the lack of signings would have been calling this a s*** move for us a few months down the line when we can't get bent and Cisse to work together or Pardew just generally struggling to get anything out of him at all. Then you'd have an ageing player well past his best, unmotivated sitting on a fat contract seeing his days out till retirement restricting us from buying the kind of player we should in the first place.

For me It's like missing out on Kone, literally 1 day after he moved everyone forgot about him, this should be the same and would be had we got someone in, we haven't but we will IMO and when that happens we will all be glad we missed out on Darren f***ing bent and brought in some quality we can all get behind now and in the future.

For me, its nothing to do with the actual player. It's that we've pissed about for a month or two pretending to go after this player then made a bid that was never going to be accepted and a wage offer that the player would never accept. The actual player is irrelevant.

See above, the small bid is nothing more than having a look to see what the situation is, and say gomis and Remy deals fall apart and bent is still around the offer would start rising.

£2m we bid really????

nothing to do with Luke Edwards (sore ass i got banned from st james) stirring up shit as usual?

They're all reporting it, not just him. And by all accounts we didn't even bid.