Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Let's say Pardew's been assured all summer that Bent is a legitimate target. He's available cheaply, wants out of his current club and has worked with Pardew before. Pardew knows the funds are there based on bids for other players. Pardew prepares for the season based on having Bent to choose from up front, possibly contemplating playing 4-4-2 or at the least dreaming of proven goalscoring cover up front (the horror!). Training perhaps involves getting wide and creating chances for two out and out goalscorers. Crossing, balls in behind. Then - over a month after it became known publicly that the player was a target and after Pardew has been quoted on multiple occasions saying that he wants him - after half of preseason had been played and with just over two weeks before the start of the season it turns out we actually aren't prepared to pay more than £2m for a 29 year old international player with two years left on his contract, and to boot we won't come close to our competitors on his wages.

If that's not wasting valuable time then I don't know what is.

Even this thread is already a month old. How is the manager supposed to prepare for the season when he's got no clue whatsoever who if anyone we will be buying?

Yup, Pardew's an average manager but he's been hung out to dry by those inepts above him.

If you pull down your pants and lube up every night then you should expect to get bum fucked.

Even this thread is already a month old. How is the manager supposed to prepare for the season when he's got no clue whatsoever who if anyone we will be buying?

Yup, Pardew's an average manager but he's been hung out to dry by those inepts above him.

I wouldn't go that far, he's been given some quality players to work with. They just might not be exactly the ones he would choose himself.

Guest bimpy474

That doesn't matter now man

Well i thought it might a bit, a few discussion about how pathetic we are bidding so little, when we haven't bid at all :lol:

This thread is good fun though :lol:

The news is we haven't bid because the bid we were prepared to make, of £2m, would be rejected, is it not? We must know what Villa would have done with our bid and what that bid was likely to be if we're saying our valuation and their's is 'miles apart'?

£2m would be our max bid, we may well have bid lower than that if did get to that stage :lol:. I know what you mean though and it doesn't look good however.

What's making me chuckle though, some were saying "sign Bent --- aargh he's shit, crap, one dimensional lalala, sums us up". A couple of weeks later, were a joke, sums us up, what a joke bid, lalala. It's just funny watching the mood change with every accurate and mainly inaccurate story.

Posts like this are missing the point by a million miles. The point is that, like Bent or not, he appeared to be a target so why waste weeks and weeks on something that we're not even serious about. I'd have liked to have had the few reinforcements we need in weeks ago but we don't seem to have any urgency whatsoever. Whether that's part of Mission Wind Up Pards, I dunno.

If you actually read the post instead of missing the point by a million miles, as you describe it. It wasn't about the £2m. It was about how the mood changes on here from report to report. Not just about Bent, i used that as an example, this thread is the most polarising of views thread at the moment imo. Be it opinions on Bent, his value and our non bid and the piss take value we came up with.

I did read your post, I'm telling you why the mood has changed and it's not because anyone has changed their opinion on the ability of the player in order to be more negative.

I don't buy that he was simply an alternative to Cisse, it seems a bit far fetched given everything that's been written and said about it for many, many months now.

And also we are of course wasting time, we're wasting time every day we don't sign a forward - I'm not fussed if I don't have access to Kinnear' s phone records, it's plain to see that we've fannied about the whole summer so far, probably at the detriment of our chances next season.

I like this post very much, especially the bit where you said sorry Bimps. I love you for it i really do  :smitten:

I did really like it  O0

Let's say Pardew's been assured all summer that Bent is a legitimate target. He's available cheaply, wants out of his current club and has worked with Pardew before. Pardew knows the funds are there based on bids for other players. Pardew prepares for the season based on having Bent to choose from up front, possibly contemplating playing 4-4-2 or at the least dreaming of proven goalscoring cover up front (the horror!). Training perhaps involves getting wide and creating chances for two out and out goalscorers. Crossing, balls in behind. Then - over a month after it became known publicly that the player was a target and after Pardew has been quoted on multiple occasions saying that he wants him - after half of preseason had been played and with just over two weeks before the start of the season it turns out we actually aren't prepared to pay more than £2m for a 29 year old international player with two years left on his contract, and to boot we won't come close to our competitors on his wages.

But Bent isn't the only proven goal scorer on earth and certainly isn't the only player we could sign who would benefit from crosses, he's also a far worse option to play up front with Cisse than the other two we're after.  I don't see any preparation Pardew could have been doing with the team that would require Darren Bent to make it worthwhile.  If we sign nobody up top when he's been promised we will then that's another matter.

Guest Phil K

If you pull down your pants and lube up every night then you should expect to get bum f***ed.

The staggering incompetence of Kinnear in particular AND Pardew keeps on amazing me, and keeps on plummeting to more ludicrous extremes.

I find it staggering that Ashley hasn't stepped in and told Kinnear "Sorry, its obvious now the supporters were right -you really COULDN'T run a p*ss up in a brewery. My mistake, heres a couple of grand. Now - GO AWAY"

Well i thought it might a bit, a few discussion about how pathetic we are bidding so little, when we haven't bid at all :lol:

The news is we haven't bid because the bid we were prepared to make, of £2m, would be rejected, is it not? We must know what Villa would have done with our bid and what that bid was likely to be if we're saying our valuation and their's is 'miles apart'?

£2m would be our max bid, we may well have bid lower than that if did get to that stage :lol:. I know what you mean though and it doesn't look good however.

What's making me chuckle though, some were saying "sign Bent --- aargh he's shit, crap, one dimensional lalala, sums us up". A couple of weeks later, were a joke, sums us up, what a joke bid, lalala. It's just funny watching the mood change with every accurate and mainly inaccurate story.

Posts like this are missing the point by a million miles. The point is that, like Bent or not, he appeared to be a target so why waste weeks and weeks on something that we're not even serious about. I'd have liked to have had the few reinforcements we need in weeks ago but we don't seem to have any urgency whatsoever. Whether that's part of Mission Wind Up Pards, I dunno.

If you actually read the post instead of missing the point by a million miles, as you describe it. It wasn't about the £2m. It was about how the mood changes on here from report to report. Not just about Bent, i used that as an example, this thread is the most polarising of views thread at the moment imo. Be it opinions on Bent, his value and our non bid and the piss take value we came up with.

I did read your post, I'm telling you why the mood has changed and it's not because anyone has changed their opinion on the ability of the player in order to be more negative.

I don't buy that he was simply an alternative to Cisse, it seems a bit far fetched given everything that's been written and said about it for many, many months now.

And also we are of course wasting time, we're wasting time every day we don't sign a forward - I'm not fussed if I don't have access to Kinnear' s phone records, it's plain to see that we've fannied about the whole summer so far, probably at the detriment of our chances next season.

I like this post very much, especially the bit where you said sorry Bimps. I love you for it i really do  :smitten:

I did really like it  O0

:lol: I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings.

Guest bimpy474

I did really like it  O0

:lol: I'm sorry if I've hurt your feelings.

You never, i was just mucking about  :laugh:

If you pull down your pants and lube up every night then you should expect to get bum f***ed.

The staggering incompetence of Kinnear in particular AND Pardew keeps on amazing me, and keeps on plummeting to more ludicrous extremes.

I find it staggering that Ashley hasn't stepped in and told Kinnear "Sorry, its obvious now the supporters were right -you really COULDN'T run a p*ss up in a brewery. My mistake, heres a couple of grand. Now - GO AWAY"

Well that would involve Ashely admitting he was wrong...

Well obviously Ashley doesn't think Kinnear is incompetent, otherwise why would he hire him twice? Pardew on the other hand would appear to have lost his trust and obviously no one else at the club thinks it's a good idea to spend anything more than peanuts on Bent.

:clap:

Say what you want about Pardew, but Dave's post is spot on. He's ONCE AGAIN been fucked over in the summer by Ashley after whatever work he and Carr have done to line up targets and try to prepare for the season.

Well it depends doesn't it? We don't know what Pardew was or wasn't told about how legitimate a target Bent was. You've just made that bit up.

We also don't know what else was happening at the same time (looking at Gomis, Remy, possibly others for example... waiting to see what happened with Cisse) so we can't really say whether the time was wasted or not.

Say what you want about Pardew, but Dave's post is spot on. He's ONCE AGAIN been fucked over in the summer by Ashley after whatever work he and Carr have done to line up targets and try to prepare for the season.

What if they bring in Remy and Gomis then?  Are you or Dave going to claim that any preparation Pardews been doing will be so specific to Bent alone that it'll be wasted on them?

Well it depends doesn't it? We don't know what Pardew was or wasn't told about how legitimate a target Bent was. You've just made that bit up.

We also don't know what else was happening at the same time (looking at Gomis, Remy, possibly others for example... waiting to see what happened with Cisse) so we can't really say whether the time was wasted or not.

The season starts in less than a fortnight and we haven't brought anyone in. I'd say it's safe to assume we've waisted time like, unless your contention is getting people in isn't massively important?

Guest neesy111

Quite a few clubs got a bit of their business done before they had players back for pre-season.  The fact we can't get business done even before the season starts shows what a shambles our board are for getting deals done.  It was only when relegation was a genuine threat that they got their arse's into gear.

Say what you want about Pardew, but Dave's post is spot on. He's ONCE AGAIN been f***ed over in the summer by Ashley after whatever work he and Carr have done to line up targets and try to prepare for the season.

What if they bring in Remy and Gomis then?  Are you or Dave going to claim that any preparation Pardews been doing will be so specific to Bent alone that it'll be wasted on them?

Pardew/Carr identified needs & targets, and its the dealmakers jobs to get them done. Whatever preparation he does or doesn't do is up to him, but if he's being told he's getting players in and we're weeks away from the beginning of the season and we have none/not brought in players they've asked for how can he not be f***ed over? 

I'm merely saying he's being set up to fail - preparation, transfer targets, whatever.

Everything hinges on the Gomis deal. If the Lyon president blinks first (which he probably will) and Gomis ends up here before the start of the season, no one will give a toss about Bent. But the derisory valuation shows that he was only ever a last resort for us anyway, except maybe in Pardew's eyes.

Its quite obvious he was a fallback option if the whole Cisse v Wonga thing wasn't sorted out.

Not bothered at all, now i will be if don't sign Remy and Gomis but i'm sure we could find someone more suited than Bent in any case.

Nah, that's not quite obvious whatsoever.