The other games today - 2013/14

JH

Old school European away performance that, ride your luck, quieten the crowd, grab a goal, consolidate your new foothold in the game and dig in whilst looking dangerous on the counter. Nice one Arsenal.

Or, if it had been us: 'Shite for the majority of the game'

I was thinking that actually :lol:

Harald Schumacher II shouldn't been done for a pen long before Lewandowski tried his art at OTT dives too. Shocking wipeout.

Shame all 3 heavyweights from this group can't go through but some shit like Schalke or Milan will.

Really can't believe this is the same Ramsey who I was convinced was finished last year after he came back from his injury and played horrifically. So much credit to him, Arsene and the Arsenal coaching team for getting him back on track to fulfilling his potential. Great fortitude.

Old school European away performance that, ride your luck, quieten the crowd, grab a goal, consolidate your new foothold in the game and dig in whilst looking dangerous on the counter. Nice one Arsenal.

Or, if it had been us: 'Shite for the majority of the game'

:lol:

Btw does those who doubted Mertesacker still think he's not good enough?

I don't think he's a great defender no. They defend well as a team, not necessarily their players. Mertesacker is a good defender, don't get me wrong, I just don't see him as a top 5 defender in the PL.

Just a purple patch tbf.

Aye 1 loss in 51 away games in all competitions is a purple patch.

I think he was talking about Ramsey not Arsenal

I don't think he's a great defender no. They defend well as a team, not necessarily their players. Mertesacker is a good defender, don't get me wrong, I just don't see him as a top 5 defender in the PL.

Who would you rate higher than him at CB? I'm only coming up with a few.

His positional awareness and aerial ability are excellent. Not great with the ball at his feet, but that's Koscielny's job.

His positional awareness and aerial ability are excellent. Not great with the ball at his feet, but that's Koscielny's job.

IMO Vermaelen was a big reason Mertesacker looked bad. He used to leave Mertesacker stranded when he went forward

Agger (whenever he's fit), Koscielny (prefer him), Terry, Luiz, Colo, Kompany. I do realize it's hard to really compare them like that since it's different kinds of defenders, but there's something with Mertesacker and the ball at his feet like you mentioned that kills me. So stiff in a way, I also like Kaboul and Vertonghen for those reasons as well.

He's a fantastic defender so i don't see where your coming from there i'd understand if you don't think he's a great footballer though.... his only issue is his lack of pace which he more than makes up for with his ridiculous intelligence and positional sense and you could argue his technical skills are lacking.

I can understand not liking him because he looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet but at the end of the day he's in the team to defend and very few in the PL have done that better in the last 8 months or so.

But none of this matters in the end as his strengths far out weight the weaknesses..... he's been one of the best CBs in the PL for a long time now sometimes you have to sit down and eat the slice of humble pie.

Besides if he wasn't that good he wouldn't have 94 appearances for Germany.

He's a fantastic defender so i don't see where your coming from there i'd understand if you don't think he's a great footballer though.... his only issue is his lack of pace which he more than makes up for with his ridiculous intelligence and positional sense and you could argue his technical skills are lacking.

I can understand not liking him because he looks uncomfortable with the ball at his feet but at the end of the day he's in the team to defend and very few in the PL have done that better in the last 8 months or so.

But none of this matters in the end as his strengths far out weight the weaknesses..... he's been one of the best CBs in the PL for a long time now sometimes you have to sit down and eat the slice of humble pie.

Besides if he wasn't that good he wouldn't have 94 appearances for Germany.

Maybe, maybe I'm just too spoiled watching Thiago Silva week in week out.

Decent win for us tonight actually, but Milan were truly abysmal. We even had to score their goal ourselves FFS.

Neymar had a lot of troubles tonight. I think Barcelona looks so much better with Cesc on the field than him off it. Almost like Xavi should come off the bench.

Messi had a good game at last though; hopefully he'll slowly get back to his usual form.

Cesc's having a great start to the season, but Xavi-less experiments (like away against Celta last week) haven't worked too well yet. Cesc likes to go forward too much to play in his position.

Messi had a good game at last though; hopefully he'll slowly get back to his usual form.

Cesc's having a great start to the season, but Xavi-less experiments (like away against Celta last week) haven't worked too well yet. Cesc likes to go forward too much to play in his position.

Didn't see enough of the second half, but in the first half Messi was very meh, imho. True, have they tried Neymar - Messi - Cesc?