The unpopular football opinion thread

Deuce

27 minutes ago, Deuce said:

On the back of Luton keeping last season’s home kit for another year: clubs getting new kits every season is a waste.

I agree. I’d be tempted to buy one if I knew the club would keep it for two years. Used to be the law actually so not sure apart from greed what changed things.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

I agree. I’d be tempted to buy one if I knew the club would keep it for two years. Used to be the law actually so not sure apart from greed what changed things.

Not sure if this was serious, but it really piqued my interest - so if it was, do you have any relevant articles/source for it being law? 2-3 minutes searching on Google didn't turn up anything relevant :undecided: 

That said, I did learn that the shift from multi-season kits to new kits every year came as a side-effect of the massively ballooning manufacturer deals that started popping up at the "big" clubs in the late 00s/early 10s, meaning it wasn't actually something most clubs wanted as the only true beneficiary of the "new season, new kit" system was the kit manufacturers earning back their money - and then some - from fans needing to buy new kits once a year. 

Doesn't appear as if it will change soon, even with a few clubs reverting to the old ways, as the clubs that have broken off haven't been clubs that make a shitton of money from exclusive deals with the largest sporting goods manufacturing companies in the world - so they can "afford" to be kind to their fans wallets. More worryingly, one article I came across made a good argument for why away/third kits have become more "extravagant", "over the top colorful" and "increasingly eccentric" in their designs the past few seasons; online gaming. Stevenage specifically designed their away kit for the 19/20 season (partnering with Burger King) to "stand out" when someone played as them on FIFA and ran a contest where the participants had to post their best goals from an online FIFA match where they played as Stevenage, wearing the away kit. It apparently was a great marketing ploy as their brand awareness grew exponentially due to the 99% of FIFA players that had no idea why their opponent kept choosing a non-PL English team decked out in an extravagant kit - which triggered their curiosity and led them to familiarise themselves with Stevenage, as well as make the 19/20 away kit the most sold kit in Stevenage's history :dontknow: 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Side note; I somehow happened upon the original laws of the game when I was looking for the law stating teams had to keep their kits for more than one season:

Sheffield_Laws_of_football.thumb.jpg.940a62589eca74762c0534f5e4dac16c.jpg

Little did I know that handling the ball used to be completely legal (rule eight) :lol: 

28 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Not sure if this was serious, but it really piqued my interest - so if it was, do you have any relevant articles/source for it being law? 2-3 minutes searching on Google didn't turn up anything relevant :undecided: 

That said, I did learn that the shift from multi-season kits to new kits every year came as a side-effect of the massively ballooning manufacturer deals that started popping up at the "big" clubs in the late 00s/early 10s, meaning it wasn't actually something most clubs wanted as the only true beneficiary of the "new season, new kit" system was the kit manufacturers earning back their money - and then some - from fans needing to buy new kits once a year. 

Doesn't appear as if it will change soon, even with a few clubs reverting to the old ways, as the clubs that have broken off haven't been clubs that make a shitton of money from exclusive deals with the largest sporting goods manufacturing companies in the world - so they can "afford" to be kind to their fans wallets. More worryingly, one article I came across made a good argument for why away/third kits have become more "extravagant", "over the top colorful" and "increasingly eccentric" in their designs the past few seasons; online gaming. Stevenage specifically designed their away kit for the 19/20 season (partnering with Burger King) to "stand out" when someone played as them on FIFA and ran a contest where the participants had to post their best goals from an online FIFA match where they played as Stevenage, wearing the away kit. It apparently was a great marketing ploy as their brand awareness grew exponentially due to the 99% of FIFA players that had no idea why their opponent kept choosing a non-PL English team decked out in an extravagant kit - which triggered their curiosity and led them to familiarise themselves with Stevenage, as well as make the 19/20 away kit the most sold kit in Stevenage's history :dontknow: 

Seem to recall it being part of a fan charter. Possibly the home strip only. Think the government got involved at one point.

In the years I bought replica strips from early 90’s to mid 00’s all the strips lasted 2yrs.

7 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Side note; I somehow happened upon the original laws of the game when I was looking for the law stating teams had to keep their kits for more than one season:

Little did I know that handling the ball used to be completely legal (rule eight) :lol: 

Love this!

8 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Those are the early Sheffield Rules, I think. Back from the late days of “football” being a hodgepodge of variations and a little before the establishment of the Football Association and the split with the Rugby School (and similar carrying allowed) rules adherents.

Brazil used to always have a player or 2 coming through who were just exceptional with ball control, skill and imagination. I think Neymar was the last one.

Vini Jr has great output and numbers but he doesn’t have that Ronaldinho/Neymar sick skillzz.

Few Brazilian players take your breath away these days. Not many surprises.

Genuinely think Bruno has some of the magic dust mixed with a winners mindset and serious stamina. He really has been a surprise. 

But when you see the young players that get linked with big European clubs, you watch their ‘highlights’ on YT and just shrug most of the time 😕

18 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Think there's another page after this that says the manager is entitled to a pig every month and two comely maidens of virtue true

4 hours ago, Lotus said:

Brazil used to always have a player or 2 coming through who were just exceptional with ball control, skill and imagination. I think Neymar was the last one.

Vini Jr has great output and numbers but he doesn’t have that Ronaldinho/Neymar sick skillzz.

Genuinely think Bruno has some of the magic dust mixed with a winners mindset and serious stamina. He really has been a surprise. 

But when you see the young players that get linked with big European clubs, you watch their ‘highlights’ on YT and just shrug most of the time 😕

Aye, touched on it last month. Antony has been shite, but whenever he tries something and it doesn't come off, he's slaughtered for it. Shame really. 

Even players that didn't play often for Brazil and didn't play for top clubs at the time like Joao Paulo (Bari), Mirandinha and Luis Oliviera (though a naturalised Belgian) had that latent genius Brazil thing.

Any of yous remember Marcio Amoroso? Played for Dortmund 20 years ago or so. Had a magic move in him now and again that just dropped your jaw.

38 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Any of yous remember Marcio Amoroso? Played for Dortmund 20 years ago or so. Had a magic move in him now and again that just dropped your jaw.

Not at all. But this was a fun watch 

There’s also a short clip of him consecutively knocking the ball over the head of three players in a row! Thanks for the prompt. 

When I went to a Palmeiras game in Brazil, the noticeable thing about it was the incredible speed and physicality of the match, not the skill. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

16 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Not at all. But this was a fun watch 

There’s also a short clip of him consecutively knocking the ball over the head of three players in a row! Thanks for the prompt. 

That was a great watch! Loved how he could chest the ball over a defender. Awesome. Hadn’t forgotten what a fantastic finisher he was. Cheers!

On 04/08/2024 at 11:33, Kaizero said:

The Fair Catch rule (3) is interesting. That action is basically the core mechanic of Australian Rules football.

On 05/08/2024 at 10:35, Lotus said:

I think Gabigol was the last Brazilian to have that "hype" you talk of. Remember the press going crazy after Inter Milan "stole" his signature from other European giants after him.

Then, Gabigol absolutely bombed and ran back to Brazil with his tail between his legs. Been no hyped up Brazilian youngster since then.

To be fair to the kid, Inter absolutely hyped him the fuck up to be "the next Ronaldo" and even unveiled him at the same location they unveiled Ronaldo after he signed :lol: 

Edited by Kaizero

On 05/08/2024 at 04:33, Kaizero said:

Yep, you could legitimately catch the ball from a fair kick and get a free kick, but you couldn’t then run with it (similar to rugby league).  

• 3 weeks later...