Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

A defender that can defend gets more stick than a striker that doesn't score goals.

Newcastle-online to a T that.

Aye lets all blast the striker who's started 1 game in the league this season :lol:

EDIT: Well discounting the game he was knocked out after about 20 minutes in.

Was deliberately vague as it's true for Ayoze as well.

I like both Mitro and Ayoze and I hope they will come good. But they've both been pretty bad for a long time now.

A defender that can defend gets more stick than a striker that doesn't score goals. 

Playing it pretty fast and loose with the word 'defend' there.  To listen to people talk about his defensive ability, you'd think he's the next Maldini.

Nah i'm not. Santon couldn't defend. Haidara couldn't defend. Janmatt couldn't defend. Dummett clearly can. If he couldn't defend he would be out the team. Clarke could take his position.

His pace is good, only struggles when he's facing the wrong way or caught on the counter. When he's ready to track his man he rarely gets beaten.

Yeah - his sprinting speed is good, but he quite often seems to be in the wrong position to utilise his speed when someone's attacking him.

Guest firetotheworks

fuck off and support Sunderland

That expression pops up time and time again and it's probably the worst patter of all time like, nee offence.

Guest firetotheworks

Defensively fine at this level, probably fairly solid at premier league level when at centre back, but whatever league we're in, on the ball he's total garbage. He was fine last night though.

I can't comment on his performance last night, but despite his limitations I'm fairly happy with him being our left back at this level.

Defensively he's becoming very dependable to the point where I often feel he's not going to get beat when taken on and if he does he has deceptively good recovery pace with an accurate slide tackle to put the ball out.

He wins a lot in the air as well and seems fairly sound in terms of positioning. Under McLaren it used to drive me mad how narrow he was and allowed the opposition to get cross after cross in; I thought it was poor positioning from him but seeing as that stopped the moment Rafa came in it must have been instructed.

His biggest weakness is as everyone points out when he's on the ball. I'm not going to say it isn't mostly down to him, but I was sat on the halfway line at the Derby game and paid attention to the times he had the ball and where Gouffran was positioned, and pretty much every time Dummett looked up Gouffran was tucked in field and offered no option for a pass, and ultimately led to a lump up field. Either Gouf needs to show more or Dummett needs to stop running himself into dead ends... or both. Obviously this doesn't change the fact that Dummett does this regardless of who's in front of him, but we barely ever play a natural wide player in front of him which can't help.

It's a good point like, we've never had a proper left winger since he's been brought through.

I like him tbh, always have even though I much prefer adventurous fullbacks. I just wish he could find a way to use his speed to worry the other team (like he did with that cross to Gayle). Enrique sort of did that even though his left foot was almost as bad as Dummett's.

I go through phases with Dummett; sometimes I completely write him off and want rid, others he appears adequate. At the moment I'm finding him quite reliable.

In terms of excitement I'd sooner see Lazaar given a run, but at this level I don't think we overly need to worry about Dummett being in the team.

Another bad showing from Dummett last night. Put one decent cross in, but other than that he either passed the ball to an opponent or passed it to someone in the crowd.

His defensive qualities aren't even that great, he was caught out a few times last night that could have cost us.

He's the big weak link in our side at the moment.

God shut the fuck up about Dummett, man. We've had full-backs who can't go 2 games without massively fucking up and costing us goals. He doesn't do that. Leave him be. Weak link, ffs. He's a defender who defends well.

Exactly. He's a left back who generally does what a left back needs to do quite well.

Guest firetotheworks

God shut the fuck up about Dummett, man. We've had full-backs who can't go 2 games without massively fucking up and costing us goals. He doesn't do that. Leave him be. Weak link, ffs. He's a defender who defends well.

You constantly brought up Coloccini for like 4 years when everybody else disagreed with you, man. :lol: Sip your medicine like a man.