Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Don't think there is a great deal of difference between him and Colback in terms of quality and level - but Dummett is a pashunnnn filled Geordie boy whereas Colback is a dirty ex-mackem 3-0 so one gets away with it rather than the other.

I'm not referring to their form as Colback is undoubtedly in awful form, whereas Dummett is playing better at the moment. I'm talking about their level in general.

Had some good games this season aye, but he's also been ripped apart just as many times. He cant deal with a diagonal ball over the top, which teams often try to capatalise on (Forest away and yesterday for examples).

Good enough at this level, but needs upgrading on should we go up.

Maybe a unpopular opinion but meh, that's what forums are for. I await the abuse. Sorry Ronaldo, I know you'll take this especially badly, I look forward to your upcoming insult.

Rafa rates him as a reliable Championship LB and the odd mong on here with nowt better to do doesn't. I think I can just about live with that, like.

Who has ripped him apart? He's dealt with the better right wingers this season with relative ease

Odoi, and he's a fullback.

He's the only player I can remember this season that merked Dummett with that piece of skill with his back.

He certainly hasn't been ripped apart as many times as he's had good games

He's having a decent season and is clearly our best left back. The hatred of him has always completely baffled me.

It's very likely that he'll be on the bench next year.

Be surprised if he isn't first choice tbh. We'd have to sell about three left-backs in order to push him down the pecking order.

Aye. Unless there's a bargain out there Dummett will be #1 in the PL.

He was atrocious last night. By far the weakest link in the team

Only watched the last 30 minutes but didn't put a foot wrong in those.

Out of interest anyone remember the last time Dummett made a mistake that lead to a chance/goal? I know you are a lot more exposed in the centre but I can think of several made by both Clark and Lascelles (and Darlow) over the last few games. He's not glamorous and clearly has his limitations but recently he's the last person I would point to when discussing our quite clear defensive frailties.

Dummett is solid defensively at this level tbf. He's not the only one but probably one of the worst when it comes to passing. The amount of times we lose possession because of this is way too often. In this league we've been ok most times, but in the PL we'll get punished more often. Nowhere near good enough for us in the PL (like many other players)

A proper winger on the left would do really well for us you'd think because of Dummett, provides a solid base defensively.  He doesn't need protecting at this level.  Him and Gouffran as a partnership is just pointless, would like to see Atsu given a run.

A proper winger on the left would do really well for us you'd think because of Dummett, provides a solid base defensively.  He doesn't need protecting at this level.  Him and Gouffran as a partnership is just pointless, would like to see Atsu given a run.

This - at home at least. Love Rafa, but imagine the damage Ritchie and Atsu on either wing would do to 90% of Championship teams at SJP.

A good winger would be wasted because his supply line will be trying to pluck 40 yard balls lofted down the line out of the air.

Guest alijmitchell

There is so little that happens down our left because of Dummett (and Gouffran). The lad is awful on the ball and is shit scared of receiving it. I'll get pelters obviously, but I think he's awful. I'll give you that when the opposition are attacking, he knows where to be, and positionally does well with wingers. However, his sheer lack of footballing ability means that as a team, we're never going to threaten anyone down the left, and everyone in the league knows it

Guest alijmitchell

A good winger would be wasted because his supply line will be trying to pluck 40 yard balls lofted down the line out of the air.

Exactly

Guest alijmitchell

He was atrocious last night. By far the weakest link in the team

Maybe I should rephrase it - he was atrocious when we had possession, and was the weakest link in the team when it comes to doing anything on the ball.

He's very much a capable championship player. The possession and ground he often gifts the opposition through to limitations is the big sticking point - no one expects him to be like Cafu but he is a hard working committed player who is effective at this level.

Guest firetotheworks

I blame both of them tbh. Darlow's positioning was shite yet again, but Dummett's lack of awareness is unacceptable. The pair of them let the team down.