Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

12 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

But we've seen this for over 10 years. It's not new. Only VARs about to pick up on that sort of thing now, he'd have got away with that in 2014 and he's always been dreadful on the ball.

I always rated him defensively, but now I'm wondering if it was just a case of no VAR picking up that sort of offence back in the days when he was playing. I just can't see any reason for him to do it unless he was just used to getting away with it.

Got to hope any extended contract is an attempt to get some kind of fee for him but can't imagine a lower league team willing to pay him anywhere near the wages he'll get for taking up a squad place here.

Just now, TRon said:

I always rated him defensively, but now I'm wondering if it was just a case of no VAR picking up that sort of offence back in the days when he was playing. I just can't see any reason for him to do it unless he was just used to getting away with it.

I don't think VAR had been invented when Dummy was in his prime.

1 minute ago, morpeth mag said:

I don't think VAR had been invented when Dummy was in his prime.

Yes that was kind of the point. Dummett looked really non-plussed when the foul was blown up 5 mins after he thought he'd taken Young down successfully. :lol:

Recovery pace and good sliding tackles are all I can remember on the positive side,and probably benefited positionally from Rafa's drills. 3 views of that numbfuckity last night is enough for me

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Probably being overly harsh, but I find it incredible that a Premier League player can look so poor on the ball and not seem to know what to do with it. I know people say "he's a CB not a LB" but he spent 3/4s of his career at LB. I just find it bizarre that throughout all that time his default move is pass to the LCB. Flair players get criticised for laziness when they don't track back etc, I find it laziness that a Premier League footballer in 12-13 years never learned to cross a ball adequately or improve the technical side of his game. 

Stick with the first 4 words

1 hour ago, TRon said:

He played well in the league cup starts this season 

absolute overdrive of drivel written here like usual after a bad result 

aye he’s not the best 

he played because there was no other options

hes not a murderer he made a mistake and has been a good servant over the years 

Less than 200 league apperances for us in 14 years. I'm envious that he's managed to earn £20k-£40k a week hanging about NUFC. He's my hero.

35 minutes ago, OCK said:

Less than 200 league apperances for us in 14 years. I'm envious that he's managed to earn £20k-£40k a week hanging about NUFC. He's my hero.

The Steve Harper of LBs.

16 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Did Steve Harper ever perform a submission headlock? Dummett’s signature move sets him apart 

Harper had the 'peoples elbow' in his repertoire.

Edited by Aiston

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Was surprised when he came on and slotted into the LB position. Was expecting Burn to shift wide with Dummett at CB. 

Me too! Don’t think it would have changed his Sumo style mind! 

Edited by PauloGeordio

3 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

As a “non wrestling” LCB with Burn as LB if so! 

Well Dummett is shit but he's less shit at CB than LB. That said, a defence of Krafth-Schar-Dummett-Burn is pretty horrific anyway.

10 minutes ago, Beth said:

Well Dummett is shit but he's less shit at CB than LB. That said, a defence of Krafth-Schar-Dummett-Burn is pretty horrific anyway.

We’ve had worse. Anyway I’m off to FFP thread for more Hopium [emoji38]

4 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Me too! Don’t think it would have changed his Sumo style mind! 

He was effectively in the CB position when he got outmsucled by the powerhouse 38 year old Ashley Young anyway.

18 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

We’ve had worse. Anyway I’m off to FFP thread for more Hopium [emoji38]

Solano-Taylor-Huntington-Edgar for our 2-2 against Man Utd springs to mind. :lol:

Back then we also had a 12-man injury list. The obvious difference difference being we relied on youthful enthusiasm and energy then rather than glue factory material now. That was Edgars debut, who was (is?) a CB, and he scored in that game. Fail to see why we could not have subbed on Alex Murphy instead.

3 hours ago, Conjo said:

Solano-Taylor-Huntington-Edgar for our 2-2 against Man Utd springs to mind. :lol:

Back then we also had a 12-man injury list. The obvious difference difference being we relied on youthful enthusiasm and energy then rather than glue factory material now. That was Edgars debut, who was (is?) a CB, and he scored in that game. Fail to see why we could not have subbed on Alex Murphy instead.

Tbf, at the time the sub was made it looked sensible enough. The one thing you would expect from Dummett is that he would defend competently, even if he can't do much going the other way. We only needed to maintain the scoreline at that point, and Everton never really looked like scoring. In the end we had to hand them the goal on a plate.

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Tbf, at the time the sub was made it looked sensible enough. The one thing you would expect from Dummett is that he would defend competently, even if he can't do much going the other way. We only needed to maintain the scoreline at that point, and Everton never really looked like scoring. In the end we had to hand them the goal on a plate.

This. Bit like I posted about Moyes/Phillips & Howe/Krafth. Managers don't expect experience professional footballers to go on the pitch and play howlers 😂

Yeah, that's fair. I wasn't very nervous either when he came on due to his solid cameos previously. Was expecting him to slot in at CB with Burn going wide though - not sure if that would have ultimately made a difference considering his position in the box when he fouled Young. Burn for his limitations is still much better with the ball in feet than Dummett so maybe a small chance we could have made something happen later on down the left wing instead of Paul freezing up when the ball touched his shoe, only to pass it backwards after a few seconds.