Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Can't understand the hate for Dummett,  he has played decent this season and is solid defensively.  Just seems to be the latest target for the boo boys.

he was awful at fulham i thought, other than that, no complaints.

most of the team were awful at Fulham.

That's true. My point stands though.

Only saw the second half and about 5 minutes of the first.  Made a great tackle towards the end.  Lascelles came across at a bad angle, got done for pace down the line, but Dummett turned on the jets and got back for one of his trademark slides. 

I think he is a very competent defender, with decent recovery pace.  A good option away from home.  But he shouldn't be starting too many home games.

Very good in this league. Not so much before.

Nah he was pretty decent defensively in the premier as well. His weakness is going forwards, otherwise defensively he's pretty solid. I'm not surprised him and Anita are still starting games, Rafa knows they can defend pretty reliably. The likes of Gamez and Yedlin might offer more going forward, but they'll have to get it right defensively as well to displace either of those two.

Nah he was pretty decent defensively in the premier as well. His weakness is going forwards, otherwise defensively he's pretty solid. I'm not surprised him and Anita are still starting games, Rafa knows they can defend pretty reliably. The likes of Gamez and Yedlin might offer more going forward, but they'll have to get it right defensively as well to displace either of those two.

That in itself is a big, big problem though. You can't just thump it forward and gift possession in the prem though. We saw it with Derby that you can down here because they'll do fuck all with it and we can easy soak up pressure because the pace is slower. You're the others have to be any good in that regard but I'll be worried if he's still our left back in the premier league should that transpire - he gifts too much space and possession. He's a rock in this league though and good for a last ditcher/physical presence in the prem I guess.

That in itself is a big, big problem though. You can't just thump it forward and gift possession in the prem though. We saw it with Derby that you can down here because they'll do fuck all with it and we can easy soak up pressure because the pace is slower. You're the others have to be any good in that regard but I'll be worried if he's still our left back in the premier league should that transpire - he gifts too much space and possession. He's a rock in this league though and good for a last ditcher/physical presence in the prem I guess.

I agree, it's definitely restricting us going forward, in fact in this division it's even more important as we don't want to be defending so much. I expect he'll be replaced at some point, but whoever comes in will have to do the defensive side of it as well, pointless being like Janmaat bombing forward then losing the ball and being caught out at the other end.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly s*** myself when he absolutely merked their fullback and put in a lush ball during our initial spell of dominance.

He's better than most on here think. Still prone to the odd mistake but all our defenders are so i think its unfair to single out him

Nearly shit myself when he absolutely merked their fullback and put in a lush ball during our initial spell of dominance.

He's actually really quick and athletic, just usually his lack of technique stops him using it. Hopefully Rafa is working hard on him.

I hate him historically but he's had a good couple of games.

Was he decent tonight? Sounded like he had a good game according to DAB.

Not reallg. He's the polar opposite to Yedlin and I don't think he's particularly good but there's nee point folk chuntering him off and getting on his case.

He's the polar opposite to Yedlin and I don't think he's particularly good but there's nee point chuntering him off and getting on his case.

Yup. Probably provides decent balance with Yedlin on t'other side.

Fucking shit, put us under pressure, had no end product. I think one of the reasons why he went off was so Rafa can show him that his position in the team is under threat.

f***ing s***, put us under pressure, had no end product. I think one of the reasons why he went off was so Rafa can show him that his position in the team is under threat.

From Mitrovic?  O0