Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Guest neesy111

I'm gonna head over to the Sissoko thread to blame him for it. I assume that's what we do these days? Pick a player we don't like and blame them regardless...

http://wonderopolis.org/wp-content/uploads//2015/03/1425_3.jpg

I think he's been solid defensively but he's literally hopeless when in possession! There was an incident yesterday when we had a corner which was cleared and it went to Dummett who simply had to head it or chest and pass it back to Atsu who he was naturally facing and who was in yards of space but instead he tried to head it back in the box with a sideways header which went nowhere!

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10782351/newcastles-calamitous-mix-up

He's literally sprinting with his eyes fully on the ball so he can judge the drop, why should he have to be aware of his keeper in this situation? Just watch the clip again, he has very little time to check what's going on but will reasonably expect his goalkeeper to be prepared in the box to receive the nod back.

He's literally sprinting with his eyes fully on the ball so he can judge the drop, why should he have to be aware of his keeper in this situation? Just watch the clip again, he has very little time to check what's going on but will reasonably expect his goalkeeper to be prepared in the box to receive the nod back.

If Dummett headed it towards goal I'd agree it would be his fault like, but he's heading it out for a corner at worst in his mind. He cannot plan for Darlow inexplicably handing the ball right into Cotterill's path.

He didn't have to keep his eyes glued to the ball though. That's poor and makes him unaware of his surroundings. Plenty of opportunity to have a glance.

I'm pretty sure he'd have just had a look if he could like, he's not a complete moron. I think it's pretty safe to assume that checking the position of his keeper and maintaining a full awareness of the flight of the ball in that situation just wasn't as easy as it is to imagine it should be. He seemed happy to concede a corner if Darlow wasn't there.

Darlow definitely shouldn't have come out. Dummett however in that position surely has to have a look where the keeper is even if Darlow doesn't go walkabout? He was 5 yards ahead of their striker and had at least 2-3 seconds to have a look at the picture around him. He didn't.

Darlow definitely shouldn't have come out. Dummett however in that position surely has to have a look where the keeper is even if Darlow doesn't go walkabout? He was 5 yards ahead of their striker and had at least 2-3 seconds to have a look at the picture around him. He didn't.

I think he's less worried about their player and more concerned with making sure he knows where the ball is though. It's a literal example of not taking your eye off the ball, he even has to adjust at the last second to make sure he makes contact. His main concern is that he heads the ball out of danger which he would have done had it not been for Darlow.

Anyway I just don't think it's easy to get on the end of that ball while running at full pelt while also looking about.

EDIT: At the end of the day if we blame Dummett for that then we're saying what he did was incorrect and discouraging him from doing it again, when 999 times out of 1000 it's absolutely the correct line of play and our keeper claims the ball with ease/at worst watches it out for a corner.

Both Dummett and Darlow were to blame for the goal.

Darlow for his dreadful positioning, lack of communication and then attempt to retrieve the situation.

Dummett for attempting a ridiculous diving header back to the goalkeeper; where he could have stayed on his feet or let the ball run or anything else other than what he did.