John Beresford

nufcjb

got a lot of time for Bez, cracking left back. happy birthday :)

This.

I think Bez was the sort of player a top team can carry a couple of. He wasn't brilliant but most of the people around him were, and he was able to raise his game to a level that was not so far behind that it stood out.

That was a bit of a mouthful, hopefully i got my point across. :lol:

Enrique, Bernard and Domi were better.

Nothing against Beresford though.  Happy Birthday John.....

Bernard? Domi? Are u serious? They ain't better than Bez. On-par maybe but even that is stretching it.

Domi certainly wasn't. Bernard maybe.

Domi going forward is the best left-back I've seen here.

You only need to watch the Shearer DVD for a snippet of why.

Left backs are in the side foremost to defend and Domi wasn't very good at it. Plus his attitude knocks points off for me , certainly rather have Bez in the trenches beside me than Domi, who we all know what unforgivable thing that he did.

Wasn't he hauled off marra by Keegan iirc? First half he appeared to let out some expletives towards the touchline and was removed sharpish. Can't remember who it was against.

was against Villa at SJP in the 95/96 season. Was Live on Sky too. .com had a link to an interview they did with Bez about that incident yesterday but can't find that link today.

Wasn't he hauled off marra by Keegan iirc? First half he appeared to let out some expletives towards the touchline and was removed sharpish. Can't remember who it was against.

was against Villa at SJP in the 95/96 season. Was Live on Sky too. .com had a link to an interview they did with Bez about that incident yesterday but can't find that link today.

At his talk in he said he thought he was going to get sold straight after that game. KK was absolutely furious with him. But for some reason he let it slide

Was that the day both Townsend and Venison scored a couple of absolute screamers?

Was that the day both Townsend and Venison scored a couple of absolute screamers?

Nope... It was a nervy 1-0... Ferdinand with a header I believe... Then the infamous "Did he mean to miss" effort from the Villa/Geordie forward Tommy Johnson?...

Left backs are in the side foremost to defend and Domi wasn't very good at it. Plus his attitude knocks points off for me , certainly rather have Bez in the trenches beside me than Domi, who we all know what unforgivable thing that he did.

I didn't think that Bez was all that good defensively either tbh, the only proper defender we had in the premier under Keegan was probably Peacock. Barton, Bersford and Albert were more about being good on the ball, although Venison was probably better in both respects even though he got bombed out by Keegan for indiscipline before Barton arrived.

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't think that Bez was all that good defensively either tbh, the only proper defender we had in the premier under Keegan was probably Peacock. Barton, Bersford and Albert were more about being good on the ball, although Venison was probably better in both respects even though he got bombed out by Keegan for indiscipline before Barton arrived.

What's this? I didn't know about that.

I remember thinking Peacock was shit when I was a kid. I think I need to go back and rewatch some matches because it was probably because he was an out-and-out defender. Howey was a good defender as well tbh, he just seemed to be constantly injured.

steve howey was very good till the injuries kicked in.

What's this? I didn't know about that.

I remember thinking Peacock was s*** when I was a kid. I think I need to go back and rewatch some matches because it was probably because he was an out-and-out defender. Howey was a good defender as well tbh, he just seemed to be constantly injured.

Aside from a few iffy months when he first arrived and the odd game thereafter (Everton away in the FA cup 1995 springs to mind), he was a hugely underrated defender and was in fact voted player of the year in the 1996/97 end of season poll in the Mag.

Beresford was excellent. Got up and down the line really well, a bit like Ashley Cole. Really was a top player and an excellent, cultured fullback.

Domi was nowhere near him, I find that laughable.

But Beresford being similar to the best English left back of all time you find perfectly reasonable.

happend right in front of me front of Milburn stand. Keegan shouted something to him, and he replied 'Fuck off thats shit' iirc. and was subbed within 30 seconds.

We've had 2 of the 3 best English left backs of all time play for us albeit not at the peak of their powers.

kenny sansom and stuart pearce ?

I was going to say you missed alan kennedy, can't believe he only got 2 england caps.

We've had 2 of the 3 best English left backs of all time play for us albeit not at the peak of their powers.

kenny sansom and stuart pearce ?

I was going to say you missed alan kennedy, can't believe he only got 2 england caps.

I reckon Pearce was the best but Sansom was quality too. Alan Kennedy's England career was shockingly stifled by Mick fucking Mills amongst others.