NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

According to our colleagues at L’Equipe, Marseille attacking midfielder Andre Ayew is looking for an out this summer.

Get French Football News understands that the player has been told that there is no place for him in Marcelo Bielsa’s starting XI.

His salary of €300k per month is causing interested sides such as Napoli and AC Milan problems, with the former even having a bid accepted by Marseille only for the move to break down.

Andre Ayew wants to join Liverpool, and always has done, but the newspaper this morning believes that he may accept a move to Newcastle, a club that he rejected at the end of last summer.

panic mode style of John Terry defending

What is this? :lol:

Basically throwing yourself into challenges/blocks, being very physically but in Taylor's very own 'headless chicken' style rather than Terry's 'I've won the Champions League' style. :D

Guest Roger Kint

Because none of the CMs are creative, sure the ones in front are but how are they going to consistently get the ball with the likes of Tiote spinning on the centre circle not releasing the ball quickly enough.

Basically we need a CM who is going to get the ball and quickly put the attackers in position to cause damage. None of them can do right now, they either don't have the vision or the ability to do so.

I can almost guarantee that at some point this season we are going to complain about the ball constantly sticking in the middle of the pitch not moving forward.

Because that's what is going to happen with Tiote/Colback/Sissoko/Anita in the middle and the likes De Jong and Cabella will be isolated.

A good number 10, which I hope De Jong and Cabella can be, can operate anywhere between your standard midfield line and your standard striker line. It's not like they're going to be completely cut off from Tiote and co. We're talking yards.

Sissoko and Anita are perfectly capable of picking up the ball and moving it forward anyway, so I don't really see the problem.

You could improve on them sure, but I don't see it as a priority at all.

:thup:

I would rather sign a proper leader at the back. Not conceding 60 goals a season would benefit us more than someone scoring a few more. Not looking like a collection of blind strangers half the time defensively would be a huge bonus going forward as well with players having a bit of freeedon.

spot on.

I don't think we will be in for a CM and to be honest it's certainly not a priority.

For me we need a CB and another wide player (assuming Ben Arfa doesn't have a role). Both PEA and Lacazette can operate wide and upfront so ideally one of them would perfect (you could also throw in Remy in that scenario as well).

If we are looking at players from Lyon then why aren't we after Umtiti?

I would rather sign a proper leader at the back. Not conceding 60 goals a season would benefit us more than someone scoring a few more. Not looking like a collection of blind strangers half the time defensively would be a huge bonus going forward as well with players having a bit of freeedon.

spot on.

:thup:

Guest ElCid

I don't think we will be in for a CM and to be honest it's certainly not a priority.

For me we need a CB and another wide player (assuming Ben Arfa doesn't have a role). Both PEA and Lacazette can operate wide and upfront so ideally one of them would perfect (you could also throw in Remy in that scenario as well).

You're right about CB but disagree as there is a critical need for CM also as messers Colback, Tiote, Anita (and Sissoko to be honest also) are not going to create chamnces or pop up with goals either. If this club has any ambition we should be in for CB, CM and a proven 20 goals per season striker - but they are not and that's why it will be same poor mediocre season, managed by a muppet and drab standard of football.

Guest Roger Kint

Good player imo! Works hard as well so Pards would like him.....

Another striker who doesnt score many.

Good player imo! Works hard as well so Pards would like him.....

Another striker who doesnt score many.

I wouldn't call him a striker though. Yes his end product could be better. He's got pace and shields the ball very well and likes to run at players. Would like him a lot.

You're right about CB but disagree as there is a critical need for CM also as messers Colback, Tiote, Anita (and Sissoko to be honest also) are not going to create chamnces or pop up with goals either. If this club has any ambition we should be in for CB, CM and a proven 20 goals per season striker - but they are not and that's why it will be same poor mediocre season, managed by a muppet and drab standard of football.

Unless Sissoko is going to be shifted out wide then they will look at how many CM's we have think that we don't need them, arguably they are right. Tiote is the only one who can't make a forward pass, lets not forget that Bigi is there as well. So you have Tiote, Anita, Colback, Sissoko, De Jong, and Bigi all competing 3/4 places. We are weak outside, and we are weak in the central defensive positions. These for me are priorities, if on top of that we get someone like Grenier then great, but for me these positions need to be filled first.

Unless Sissoko is going to be shifted out wide then they will look at how many CM's we have think that we don't need them, arguably they are right. Tiote is the only one who can't make a forward pass, lets not forget that Bigi is there as well. So you have Tiote, Anita, Colback, Sissoko, De Jong, and Bigi all competing 3/4 places. We are weak outside, and we are weak in the central defensive positions. These for me are priorities, if on top of that we get someone like Grenier then great, but for me these positions need to be filled first.

Its Abeid before Bigi. Tiote, Anita, Colback, Sissoko and Abeid for 2 positions.

Guest ElCid

Disagree with your summary about the CM but your entitled to it :-) I think none of them offer much in anyway and that's why teams with more girfted creative players nearly every time boss the game - im my opinion if you control the midfield you control the game. Our midfield can't even hold the ball for more than three or four passes.

Its Abeid before Bigi. Tiote, Anita, Colback, Sissoko and Abeid for 2 positions.

My point still stands though.

panic mode style of John Terry defending

What is this? :lol:

Basically throwing yourself into challenges/blocks, being very physically but in Taylor's very own 'headless chicken' style rather than Terry's 'I've won the Champions League' style. :D

Exactly. Terry's been a fantastic defender. Really has it all except pace. His positioning is under-rated and he helps the defences shape greatly.

Guest ElCid

Disagree with your summary about the CM but your entitled to it :-) I think none of them offer much in anyway and that's why teams with more girfted creative players nearly every time boss the game - im my opinion if you control the midfield you control the game. Our midfield can't even hold the ball for more than three or four passes.

A CM pairing of Tiote and Sissoko are more than capable of dominating in terms of breaking down play... and Sissoko can then move the ball forward. We now have both Cabella and De Jong in front of them, both of whom can create.

How many teams in the PL, apart from the obvious, have more than one or two creative players in the team at once?

I didn't say 2 I said 1 creative player - who you said would be my pick out of the current CM bt is not the answer to progress again in my opinion.

Anita (Tiote)      Sissoko (Colback)

De Jong (Abeid)

Cabella (HBA)                                    Aarons (Gouff)

Riviere (take your pick)

Players in brackets are the cover / subs.

Could be possible and should give us some depth and fret.

Surprises me to keep reading people are desperate for another midfielder and striker when personally I still feel our biggest problem (other than Pards of course) is our inability to get the ball from the back to the midield.

Partly it's because we don't have a goalkeeper who is particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet and partly because when Williamson or Taylor play we immediately have a player who is, in passing terms a bit of a liability.

Seems like Mwbia has been written off by the management so it's an area that needs addressing. If Taylor is still firmly part of our first team we'll struggle - his poor positional sense and panic mode style of John Terry defending won't be doing us many favours.

Agree with this, I see all this talk of getting yet another striker and wonder what we're gonna do with them all? I think it's almost certain we'll only be playing a one striker system with de Jong behind, that leaves you Cisse, Riv, Chucky and Ayoze + new striker all competing for one place. Then Gouff, Armstrong etc. as well

I think a big part of the problem is that our defense plays so deep that there is a massive gap between them and the midfield and they end up just having to play oofball

We unquestionably DO need a PL standard CB, maybe even 2...Colo has been excellent for most of the past 5 years but he is clearly on the wane now and the other two are not good PL standard in my view but the club has ignored this weakness or, once again, failed to pay the going rate for what we need.

The striker thing keeps cropping up because most people have doubts about the ability of the ones signed to either adapt quickly to the PL or because they are either inexperienced (Perez, Armstrong)or have a less-than-impressive scoring record previously(Riviere). Ferreyra is the wild card for me, he could prove reasonable or flop...it will be interesting to see what happens.

We must hope Cisse benefits from the input of our new midfielders but I am not very confident..!