NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think even younger and more informed supporters will have rarely watched the imports from Belgium and Holland play often. I've seen Thauvin many times over a few years, but Mitrovic and Wijnaldum I only really know through media coverage, highlight videos, and the occasional match on a big stage.

Just watching a player's team a few times doesn't mean you have a good idea of who he is either. I've taken to supporting DR Congo and watched all of their matches in the ACN, but I couldn't tell you much about Mbemba as I wasn't watching with an eye for him particularly.

Knew fuck all about Mbemba and Mitrovic tbh, but in any case all 4 players are a lot more proven than majority of the squad tbh.

All of them have CL(Think Wijnaldum does anyway?) and international experience, you don't need to watch them to know that anyway and I really dislike the idea that if you haven't played in England you are unproven.

I think they are plenty proven personally, the quality of the signing isn't an issue there just hasn't been enough of them.

One of my mates from work, who has had a season ticket at various points in time, went to the 2-2 in the San Siro. When chatting to another mate in the office about the game years later, one comment he made was "Was Shearer playing in that game?"

Some posters on here would be staggered by the knowledge, or lack of it, of the club by people who go regularly. That's their own club as well, not one in Belgium or Holland.

I've watched Anderlecht, PSV and Marseille several times in the last 12 months when I've had money on them and I couldn't have picked any of the players out of a line up. The idea that 90% of the supporters in SJP on an average matchday could do so is absolutely laughable. Frankly I'd be amazed if 5% could.

Even 5% is way too high tbh. I'd be amazed if 1% could. No chance man.

Just watching a player's team a few times doesn't mean you have a good idea of who he is either. I've taken to supporting DR Congo and watched all of their matches in the ACN, but I couldn't tell you much about Mbemba as I wasn't watching with an eye for him particularly.

:thup: You generally only notice the best attacking players when watching obscure teams unless you are really paying attention

:thup: You generally only notice the best attacking players when watching obscure teams unless you are really paying attention

I really can't judge a players ability unless I have some sort of an emotional investment to his team. Even then I'm also absolutely useless.

Is it a problem to know about players when they are linked with your / other clubs? Also does it matter when you lash on to a rumor and then end up watching said player? Curious. Most of the time I just watch the sport on random channels and don't follow anyone. Many other times I find out about players via video games (shocker). But why does it honestly matter? Or does it not? Honestly curious.

Is it a problem to know about players when they are linked with your / other clubs? Also does it matter when you lash on to a rumor and then end up watching said player? Curious. Most of the time I just watch the sport on random channels and don't follow anyone. Many other times I find out about players via video games (shocker). But why does it honestly matter? Or does it not? Honestly curious.

There are a crop of 'world' players which a high proportion of footy fans have heard of, these would sit alongside players from our own league, as known and exciting (potentially) 'bandstand' signings. The first lot aren't going  to come, unless they are towards the end of their career or still have something to prove before they will guarantee their place in a champions league regular. The second lot, unfortunately, in EPL are notoriously overpriced. I share some of the views about most of our crop being a gamble. Or more of a gamble than we'd want, because you're always taking a chance bringing a player in. But what choice do we have, I mean realistic choice? Getting a crop of £10m plus players (and some exciting young prospects too) is about the best we could hope for. Will they all become world beaters? Doubt it (though at present can't see us holding on to Wi-aye-man unless we have a good one, and show promise for further improvement: he is a class act) but we are in there, searching and competing for young talent. It feels good, and even though mid table mediocrity is the likely endpoint, the journey looks like it could be fun; and to me most of us seem more excited about this season than any recent season I can recall.

Guest antz1uk

Anecdotal evidence it may be, but when I had a season ticket I was constantly surprised by how little notice the people sat around me took in what went on outside of a Saturday afternoon at SJP. Many a time people didn't even know why certain players weren't present (they'd been injured all week, or were suspended, or were about to leave etc). Shitloads of our fans seem to get their information purely from the Chronicle or a red top daily newspaper. Sorry but they'll know f*** all about players from Holland, Belgium or France and don't pretend to.

I spend far too much time on here and watch a reasonably high amount of football on TV and I don't know anything about the players we've signed. The vast majority of matchgoing fans are far simpler than the world football experts you seem to think they are.

Superb and spot on!

Eh?

Quite a few on here thrive on negativity. We could win the league and some would still moan.

Colback's fault he got sent off there.

As this is N-O I'm pretty sure this is serious.

Bolasie has f*** all end product. People keep forgetting that hugely significant fact.  Well, 6 assists in the league.  It's a decent amount, nowhere near deserving of the praise he's getting :lol:

:lol:

Such a N-O post.

Please tell me those last couple of comments are in jest!

Not sure why they would be, Mclaren shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near this job to he honest.

Beside the point though, giving him stick when we're 0 games into the season is beyond pathetic.

Well, it's N-O, what did you expect?

Anecdotal evidence it may be, but when I had a season ticket I was constantly surprised by how little notice the people sat around me took in what went on outside of a Saturday afternoon at SJP. Many a time people didn't even know why certain players weren't present (they'd been injured all week, or were suspended, or were about to leave etc). Shitloads of our fans seem to get their information purely from the Chronicle or a red top daily newspaper. Sorry but they'll know f*** all about players from Holland, Belgium or France and don't pretend to.

I spend far too much time on here and watch a reasonably high amount of football on TV and I don't know anything about the players we've signed. The vast majority of matchgoing fans are far simpler than the world football experts you seem to think they are.

Superb and spot on!

I was surprised by how little attention most people pay at the match. Myself included at times to be honest. Aside from the fact my seat was in the front row and useless for understanding what's happening tactically during the game, most of those around me were that drunk they'd be hard pressed to name goal scorers five minutes after full time.

I once embarrassingly told the lads on our bus I had to record motd so I knew what had happened, they all recorded motd too.

I'm hip as owt and I've seen nowt of them all bar Wijnaldum in the World Cup where he flew under the radar.

You'd heard of Mitrovic and Thauvin?

Aye but heard of and being able to form an opinion having a watched are totally different.

Guest palnese

Eh?

Quite a few on here thrive on negativity. We could win the league and some would still moan.

Colback's fault he got sent off there.

As this is N-O I'm pretty sure this is serious.

Bolasie has f*** all end product. People keep forgetting that hugely significant fact.  Well, 6 assists in the league.  It's a decent amount, nowhere near deserving of the praise he's getting :lol:

:lol:

Such a N-O post.

Please tell me those last couple of comments are in jest!

Not sure why they would be, Mclaren shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near this job to he honest.

Beside the point though, giving him stick when we're 0 games into the season is beyond pathetic.

Well, it's N-O, what did you expect?

Kudos. Some love their negative agendas on here. I'm just sick of it all - the constant flow of negativity. I'm turning into one cynical bastard myself and I can't stand it.