NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If for argument's sake we can only bring in one first XI player then I think a CM is the priority. Anita and Colback try but they are both lacking too much at this level. We lose the ball too easily in midfield and it puts the whole team under pressure.

Someone like Cabaye was perfect as he could do a bit of everything. Cabaye, Tiote & Guthrie was a decent blend of skills and attributes even if the latter 2 were limited.

Cabbie's only perfect when he has a proper ball winner in the midfield as well though, which we don't have.

Someone like Cabaye was perfect as he could do a bit of everything. Cabaye, Tiote & Guthrie was a decent blend of skills and attributes even if the latter 2 were limited.

Cabbie's only perfect when he has a proper ball winner in the midfield as well though, which we don't have.

He's like Colback, inability to go box to box at a high tempo means he can only be played in a three man midfield. He's perfect for Pardew as they play a deep sitting game and launch it long to attack. Speed and Dyer were both fast enough to get up and down the pitch in a flash. Same goes for Rob Lee and Jenas for that matter.

Even alongside a Guthrie, he would adjust his game and get more radge.

Jenas had it all but was happy to be a passenger in a match. Might open his legs once or twice in a match, or attempt an ambitious pass once or twice. For someone that played under the shadow of Lampard & Gerrard, his passing was so unambitious that it hurt. Still a better performer for us at CM than Colback, Anita, Emre & Parker.

Jenas was mentally weak, but physically he was built perfectly for the role he played. With Colback and Cabaye you either play very deep, or you need an extra midfielder to cover for their lack of athleticism.

We played 4-4-2 the majority of the season we finished 5th. A proper 4-4-2 with 2 strikers. Tiote & Cabaye did very well when up against 3 man midfields.

Yeah but that 4-4-2 was basically a defensive shape where everyone was in their own half other than a forward and a winger (usually the other striker). I'm talking about a 4-4-2 that is capable of pressing the opposition in their own half.

• 2 weeks later...

Think my priority for January is a centreback. Haven't seen that much of him, but from what I have seen and heard, think we slipped-up not going for Jonny Evans. Of those likely to be available, any ideas who may be a good partner for Mbemba?

Think my priority for January is a centreback. Haven't seen that much of him, but from what I have seen and heard, think we slipped-up not going for Jonny Evans. Of those likely to be available, any ideas who may be a good partner for Mbemba?

Virgin Van Dijk is another we missed out on. Seems to be doing very well for Southampton. On paper, someone like Shawcross would be ideal.

He's definitely the type I had in mind. My mate Google seems to suggest he is still out post back surgery, also didn't realise he was club captain. Think Hughes would take a swap?? Happy to top up the deal (Cisse, Guoffran,  Tiote, Obertan, and many more! available)

any Americans or bundesliga watchers seen John Brooks play regularly and give an opinion? Think his contacts up this or next season and we've been linked before

Seen him for USMNTUVWXYZ last year. Massive imposing presence and good on the ball, but seemed to lack experience.

any Americans or bundesliga watchers seen John Brooks play regularly and give an opinion? Think his contacts up this or next season and we've been linked before

Seen him for USMNTUVWXYZ last year. Massive imposing presence and good on the ball, but seemed to lack experience.

:thup:

He's struggled of late for the U.S. and been injured for much of the season, but he's a talented player. Scored the game winner against Ghana in Brazil, very dangerous when attacking set pieces but needs to work on that part of his game defensively. Good on the ball, likes to bring it forward.

He's struggled of late for the U.S. and been injured for much of the season, but he's a talented player. Scored the game winner against Ghana in Brazil, very dangerous when attacking set pieces but needs to work on that part of his game defensively. Good on the ball, likes to bring it forward.

Healthy, on-form and partnered correctly he'd be brilliant IMO.

CB and CM for me. Back up goalie that is better than Blob would be good, but I think even the first two are asking a bit much given it's Ashley.

Brooks is a Player who could and should go on to be our main man in the back-line for the team - ^ post above is correct. Massive guy whos good on the ball and great on set pieces.

Reason I mentioned him was because he scored a great header at the World Cup and everyone was interested in him but ended up staying at Hertha.

Think I read recently in World Soccer that he's recently changed his agent, which they assumed meant that he was looking for a move in the near future