Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 14/09/13 - post-match reaction from page 33

Beren

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew: "We carried a lot of offensive threat. We haven't had enough threat, but we've got it now. Hatem Ben Arfa got a lot of headlines last time he scored against Fulham but I thought he did just OK then. Today he was unplayable. Hatem was on fire today.

"He has the ability to hold on to the ball and give us a rest, then burst past one or two players. If he can get consistency not only will he be a threat for us, but a threat for France at the World Cup."

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew: "We carried a lot of offensive threat. We haven't had enough threat, but we've got it now. Hatem Ben Arfa got a lot of headlines last time he scored against Fulham but I thought he did just OK then. Today he was unplayable. Hatem was on fire today.

"He has the ability to hold on to the ball and give us a rest, then burst past one or two players. If he can get consistency not only will he be a threat for us, but a threat for France at the World Cup."

Nice comments. :thup:

Finally sense coming from Pardew's mouth. Agree with all of that.

I reckon you've got to give Cisse ten games in a team that is reasonably creative. The one we put out against Citeh or Liverpool last season was taking the piss.

Last time out vs. Fulham wasn't bad and today's was right up there, so you can count one or two games already depending on how strict you want to be.

If there is no improvement in Cisse, we'll have to buy to replace in January, not to supplement (were such a concept possible for the current regime).

Great performance all around.  Ben Arfa is just wonderful to watch.  I was also impressed by the pressing Remy and Cabaye did together, especially early on. They won the ball back in the Villa end a couple of times early.

The marking on the Villa goal was comical though. When the substitutions were being made the camera was on Pardew and he was pointing at Kozak telling a player to mark him. From the time Kozak came on until the ball was in the net he was completely unmarked, Benteke ended up unmarked, and there was another Villa player in around them who was also unmarked.

Guest icemanblue

Very good away performance. The confidence gained from Fulham showed. We looked calm in possession and devestating on the counter. For a team that have a growing reputation for lovely football, we played the better stuff. Very encouraging.

I reckon you've got to give Cisse ten games in a team that is reasonably creative. The one we put out against Citeh or Liverpool last season was taking the p*ss.

Last time out vs. Fulham wasn't bad and today's was right up there, so you can count one or two games already depending on how strict you want to be.

If there is no improvement in Cisse, we'll have to buy to replace in January, not to supplement (were such a concept possible for the current regime).

IMO we can't afford to carry a player for 10 games.

Although I think he's two one dimensional to be relied on as well.

Sadly Poachers are a dying breed and he's very much a victim of this,

Guest firetotheworks

Villa should have had a couple mind. That nice passing move when Weimann should have passed and then Agbonlahor inexplicably using his left and missing an open goal.

We should have had perhaps another, and a pen though.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

The only grief I have against Pappiss is that he doesn't hit the target more often. Gouffran's goal is an example that when you hit the target you may get a second chance to put it in. Unfortunately Cisse's often goes for wild or  unorthodox shots

A good win and we played some good football however the first half after we scored and the first 5 minutes or so of the 2nd we laid back again.

We really need to be able to switch the ball to the other wing ASAP when Ben Arfa or Remy are doubled up on, instead we had our CB's coming too far up the pitch and having possession for too long, and if it wasn't that then the ball went back to Krul far too easily. At one point in the 2nd half we had a throw in midway in their half and the ball went to Krul within 3 passes, not good enough.

Guest Roger Kint

Should we restart the debate that Gouffran only scores tap ins?

Nowt wrong with tap ins.

I wish Cisse would score some tap-ins.

Pretty sure Cisse was in an offside position when Ben Arfa shot, shock :lol:

He definately was the one Guzan saved well before that, about 10 yards off :lol:

Gutted I missed the game again. Gonna have to fuck off my Saturday job if we keep this up. :aww:

So, so happy to read about how well we played. Really wasn't expecting it after Man City and West Ham, the first in which we were as bad as I've ever seen.

Brilliant result. Villa aren't as shit as they were last season. To hear that the performance was great as well is marvellous news.

Playing a 'footballing' formation, allowing players to play to their strengths and take the game to the opposition. Working. Who'd have thought it, eh Pards?

Extremely winnable home game coming up. In face, 7 points from the next 3 league games is eminently possible. Hopefully we'll tank Leeds and Hull and keep the momentum going.