Newcastle United 2 - 3 Hull City - 21/09/13 (FT) Post match reaction from p 33

Guest pricedoutoftoon

I would like to point out that in pretty much every PL season in living memory, regardless of how we fared over the 38 games, we've been turned over at home by a promoted side, normally about 5-8 games into the season.

Not that this is any excuse, but we always seem to have one of these. I looked at this game on fixture release day and immediately had it down as a defeat or a draw at best.

Guest Roger Kint

I would like to point out that in pretty much every PL season in living memory, regardless of how we fared over the 38 games, we've been turned over at home by a promoted side, normally about 5-8 games into the season.

Not that this is any excuse, but we always seem to have one of these. I looked at this game on fixture release day and immediately had it down as a defeat or a draw at best.

Fucking Pardew sympathiser :hmm:

Hull have some kind of voodoo going on when it comes to us, but luckily with Brucey in charge their relegation is inevitable, whether its this season or the next.

"We dropped down a gear after that, and it's very hard to come back when you've dropped down a gear."

Why did we "drop down a gear", Alan?  Please tell me.

Excuses thread: "the clutch were broke"

To be fair i doubt he told whichever twat that was responsible(refuse to watch again) to defend like a 12 year old. Fucking shameful stuff

Then why pick players who can't follow basic instructions? Assuming instructions have been given obviously.

That first goal is a complete horror show. We had 2 extra men in that situation but their man in the middle was left to roam free and then a complete breakdown in communication leads to two onrushing players leaving them with a man over. Really disappointing as we've shown ourselves to be much better than that in recent weeks.

What was the deal with Remy and HBA defensively, as well? They both played very well last week while putting in a shift, we should be doing that against every team in the division at the moment (home and away) because we really aren't defensively good enough to be so blase.

It's no doubt already been mentioned but this game is an example of how our piss poor set pieces can and will cost us points. Once they went 2-3 up they were so deep, the only way I could see a goal coming was from a set piece (a normal team) however because we are so shockingly terrible at them we had no chance.

This isn't a excuse for the defeat or performance by the way just highlighting that our set plays have got to be the worst in any of the leagues.

Just as last week's result was deserved, so was this - we ended up looking like a team who had just been introduced before the game and all the movement in attack that was there at Villa disappeared after HT.

The overall impression is that once we get in front at SJP, the team is either told to, or is content to, defend the lead and surrender midfield - this was what allowed Hull to get back into the game and as the second half wore on, they looked by far the better side. Newcastle were timid, disjointed, passed back instead of forward, m/f and forwards stopped linking together and the whole thing became a shambles. We resorted to far too many hopeful punts towards the edge of their area - Debuchy was particularly guilty of this in the second half.

The defending for Hull's second equalizer was worse than school-boy stuff and El Mohadey was allowed to run across the penalty area to meet the cross unchallenged ; the defence was all at 6s & 7s again when they got the winner but by this time there was only going to be one team that won this match and it wasn't Newcastle.

HBA had an absolute stinker  they doubled up on him and he couldn't handle it although he got little help from his team-mates who should have been giving him more options but he gave the ball away far too often anyway. Cisse was dire - hard to see how this guy is going to resurrect his career at SJP without a major central striker being signed and that isn't going to happen so he might as well be allowed to leave in Jan. He looks leaden-footed and slow. As for the rest, only Anita came out of it with any credit and without his timely interceptions and reading of the game, we could have lost more heavily...as it was, Krul saved our bacon before they equalized in the first half with a great save from Graham.

It is clear to me that either the team are brittle and buckle as soon as anything goes against them, or they have been instructed to surrender ground to the opposition after taking the lead - either way, some of the blame undoubtedly lies with the manager, as most of us sussed out ages ago. Ashley's policies encourage this because the club will never have proper competition among the squad and he is content to let the club drift until Pardew walks...which he won't, so there is little prospect of anything major changing soon.

I hope all those who rushed to reduce their relegation prophecy scores have now decided to wait until after October to properly assess the team's prospects...as I have already.

A look at the next 6 fixtures tells you why....!

Man for man we p*ss all over that team, disgrace.

Wimbledon used to go into most Ist Div/PL games with the same 'handicap' as Hull...they just ignored it and regularly beat supposedly 'better' teams......funny that, isn't it...!??

A team is only as good as its results over a period of time - look at ours over the past season and so far this - we are NOT a good side.

We also need to consider that Hull played alright today. Brady and Aluko are fairly good players and they've got a decent midfield with Huddlestone and Livermore. They defended well and played hard for 90 minutes.

Yeah, great ! Of COURSE we shouldn't expect to beat one of the bookies' favourites for relegation at SJP.....

Ashley has done a GREAT job on you, hasn't he..!?

We also need to consider that Hull played alright today. Brady and Aluko are fairly good players and they've got a decent midfield with Huddlestone and Livermore. They defended well and played hard for 90 minutes.

i was trying to say this last night and got slated, there were 2 teams on the pitch yesterday and bruce completely outwitted planA pardew...after we dominated and scored bruce and his players exploited our obvious weaknesses and we were lucky to be winning at HT let's be honest

it's not like pardew's decisions changed the game in their favour, they have a massive hand in that themselves, pardew just couldn't answer it...he rarely can

Yeah, great ! Of COURSE we shouldn't expect to beat one of the bookies' favourites for relegation at SJP.....

Ashley has done a GREAT job on you, hasn't he..!?

starting to see the overreaction thing now myself, where did deuce say we shouldn't expect to beat them?  of course we should and most of us did...however we didn't because they played better than us

It felt like there was a lack of leadership on the pitch - an issue that's been aired before, I know. It really showed in our defending.

It doesn't help that Colo and his possible successor Cabaye, have both wanted to leave the club in recent times. We need someone of strength and commitment out there.

It felt like there was a lack of leadership on the pitch - an issue that's been aired before, I know. It really showed in our defending.

It doesn't help that Colo and his possible successor Cabaye, have both wanted to leave the club in recent times. We need someone of strength and commitment out there.

Virtually all of our squad are here simply because we offered them more money than anywhere else. Of course there's going to be no leadership when none of the players truly want to wear the shirt.

I don't think they changed too much after we scored, we just dropped our level. I don't often go along with the Premier League experience line but I thought it showed yesterday. A lot of those players haven't been in a winning Premier League team and they just didn't get what was needed to win after we went ahead.

Some of the fans were terrible yesterday. The lad in front of me was acting like an ape whenever a midfielder would pass the ball back to the defence, the way people went off it when Debuchy kicked the ball up the air, when Santon hit a free kick into the wall and that groan at a short corner :lol: I despair sometimes I really do.

Virtually all of our squad are here simply because we offered them more money than anywhere else. Of course there's going to be no leadership when none of the players truly want to wear the shirt.

I don't think our lot are any more mercenary than the average set of Premiership footballers. The problem is that, since Nolan left, we don't have a natural leader-type who's a first team regular. Colo seemed to get the job by default - there really wasn't anyone else at the time. Trouble is, he's not particularly vocal, his commitment has been shaky in recent months, and his concentration can waver, as yesterday.

The only player who really seems to shout is Krul, and I'm not sure it's all constructive. There are issues with making a goalkeeper captain anyway. But perhaps because his command of English is the best out of our huge foreign contingent, he finds it easier to let off steam to his team-mates.

I don't think there's an easy answer, because I look at the first team and I can't see the alternatives. Possibly Sissoko but there may be a language issue there. There may also be problems in effectively demoting Colo.

But given recent events, I can't see that either Colo or Cabaye are in a good position to start laying down the law with their team mates on the pitch.

Some of the fans were terrible yesterday. The lad in front of me was acting like an ape whenever a midfielder would pass the ball back to the defence, the way people went off it when Debuchy kicked the ball up the air, when Santon hit a free kick into the wall and that groan at a short corner :lol: I despair sometimes I really do.

I suppose the alternative would be to get behind the lads.

This current team would never have come back from 4 - 0 down against Arsenal. They don't seem to have much fight or belief in each other.

The way we came out in the first half was good. We had a few chances in the first few minutes. After we scored the players seemed to take their foot off the gas. The way we came out in the second half was a disgrace. Hull were out early. Our lot sauntered onto the pitch barely a minute before the game got back under way. Hull were all over us as our lot looked half asleep.

Once again, the lack of movement (and therefore options of players to pass to) was chronic.

To me it was pure arrogance and complacency. When you see Ben Arfa not being arsed to track back, midfielders not getting tight on their players etc it reeks of not showing enough respect to Hull.

It became obvious at 1-0 when people started dribbling out of defence etc.

I'm not surprised if the players got cocky though because their manager seems to think he's the shit after a couple of wins and started boasting in the press this week. I'm sure his arrogance seeps through to the players as well.

To me it was pure arrogance and complacency. When you see Ben Arfa not being arsed to track back, midfielders not getting tight on their players etc it reeks of not showing enough respect to Hull.

I'm not surprised if the players got cocky though because their manager seems to think he's the shit after a couple of wins and started boasting in the press this week. I'm sure his arrogance seeps through to the players as well.

This 100%.

We went 1 nil up and just expected them to roll over.

Guest bimpy474

Has to be said that once an opposition team changes a few things or exploits a weakness of ours Pardew has no answer at all. His usual reaction is 4-4-2 and Shola. After all this time is still something some refuse to see, it's a plain as the nose on your face it's been going on so long.

Guest bimpy474

I said this in the match thread, Pardew was a bit cocky, whether it fed through to the performance i dont know, seemed a bit like that but it's a bit hard to make that call. I've no doubt that his arrogance and ego seeps into the team, as does the good things he does too, as every manager has a bit of those.

Our problem is, his bad points outweigh the good by a mile. Unfortunately for us we have a tactically inept manager who doesn't react to what is in front of him very well.