The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

2 minutes ago, Magpie said:

Michael Beale. He is the only reason Gerrard has had any success at management. As soon as he left in the summer he was toast.

it got worse when Beale left but we weren’t exactly playing total football when he was here. 

Just now, brummie said:

it got worse when Beale left but we weren’t exactly playing total football when he was here. 

I would probably put that down to Steeeeeevie overruling him more than anything else, the egotistical prick.

10 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10192591/amp/Steven-Gerrard-Aston-Villa-perfect-fit-Newcastle-blew-chance-appointing-him.html

:lol:

MARTIN SAMUEL: Steven Gerrard is ideal for Aston Villa, he gives them more clout and he can be a game-changer... Newcastle missed a trick - he could have been theirs had they been bold 

Anyone who pays any attention to anything whatsoever that Martin Samuel shits out of his stupid fucking mouth deserves everything they get.

10 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10192591/amp/Steven-Gerrard-Aston-Villa-perfect-fit-Newcastle-blew-chance-appointing-him.html

:lol:

MARTIN SAMUEL: Steven Gerrard is ideal for Aston Villa, he gives them more clout and he can be a game-changer... Newcastle missed a trick - he could have been theirs had they been bold 

This is the best part - "Bringing Gerrard to Tyneside may have delivered scenes nearer to Kevin Keegan's homecoming"

Err No [emoji38]

8 hours ago, 54 said:

Still early days to judge how good Michael Beale is going to be, especially at the particular level. But he has earned that job. Started at Chelsea at the U7 role worked his way up. Moved to Liverpool to coach the U16, then worked his way up to the U23. Took up an assistant manager position in Brazil. He has really put in the hours and earned all the jobs he got. By all accounts, he was a wonderful youth team coach.  Will be very interesting to see how his career progresses. 

Bit of a shame but he shouldn't have jumped the gun at the first opportunity to leave a good job to go somewhere with little room for improvement. Shot his bolt now re Liverpool and will have to start over. Wontt get somewhere where you get the same level of achievement (on paper) as Rangers. They might have him back and that's his best bet probably.

Edited by Jonas

2 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Bit of a shame but he shouldn't have jumped the gun at the first opportunity to leave a good job to go somewhere with little room for improvement. Shot his bolt now re Liverpool and will have to start over somewhere were you cant see the same level of achievement (on paper) as Rangers. They might have him back and that's his best bet probably.

Little room for improvement?

Smith had us 16th when sacked, and we've got two mega rich owners who have pumped shit loads of money in.

it would have taken almost nothing to improve us, but a year later, we are actually in 17th.

The bloke is an absolute fucking chancer, any decent manager with a functioning shred of humanity and a functioning brain cell would have improved us.

He's not mooking about with the Forest squad. He's got Philipe fucking Coutinho in his squad.

He had every chance, and he totally totally fucked it up, mostly with his outdated 'tough man manager' routine.

I never thought he or anybody could move Villa out of that middle tier. O'Neill spent a fortune and couldn't.

So what could he achieve? At the absolute best 7th. Kinda where Villa often have been.

You'll know better than me Brummie but in the PL era doesn't that include O'Neill, O'Leary, Big Ron, Brian Little, Gregory. So Gerrard could have done what they did at most.

He would have had to break into the top 6 to be on track for Liverpool and it was never happening. So he should have bided his time and learned his trade better at Rangers. For me.

If it was a Man City situation then by all means.

Edited by Jonas

Wonder if he’ll bother anywhere else or just fade into the background. Fair chance the Rangers job might be up again soon, wonder if he’d go back?

Hasn’t got the personality to do media.

1 hour ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

:kinnear:

FB_IMG_1666303194658.thumb.jpg.6844b4259c2204ab1c4781870f84271b.jpg

Journalists disliking your managerial appointment is the only true sign that you've got it right. At times like this I am always reminded of the greatest such example from https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jan/18/nigel-adkins-southampton

"Whatever the reasoning, the fact of the matter is that Southampton's league position was moving in the right direction and Adkins had the best win percentage of any Saints manager since the 19th century, which makes the decision to replace him with Mauricio Pochettino feel ridiculous."

Edited by Jagten

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

Wonder if he’ll bother anywhere else or just fade into the background. Fair chance the Rangers job might be up again soon, wonder if he’d go back?

Hasn’t got the personality to do media.

Oh he'll persist imo. He'll carve out a career unfortunately. Can even see him getting the Liverpool job at some point, not through merit, like. Not a wild bet for them to go for their own Ole being as strange as they are. 

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Oh he'll persist imo. He'll carve out a career unfortunately. Can even see him getting the Liverpool job at some point, not through merit, like. Not a wild bet for them to go for their own Ole being as strange as they are. 

Absolutely no chance, he’s fucked it on that front. He’d be able to get a championship job no bother but it’s a huge step down. Doesn’t need it unless he’s mega driven to make a go of it which is hard to tell. 

12 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I never thought he or anybody could move Villa out of that middle tier. O'Neill spent a fortune and couldn't.

So what could he achieve? At the absolute best 7th. Kinda where Villa often have been.

You'll know better than me Brummie but in the PL era doesn't that include O'Neill, O'Leary, Big Ron, Brian Little, Gregory. So Gerrard could have done what they did at most.

He would have had to break into the top 6 to be on track for Liverpool and it was never happening. So he should have bided his time and learned his trade better at Rangers. For me.

If it was a Man City situation then by all means.

We finished 2nd in the first PL season.

Between 96 and 01 we finished 4th, 5th, 7th, 6th, 6th

O'Neill had us 6th, 6th, 6th

Even O'Leary had us 6th.

It's not about finishing in the top 7, it's about not being 17th.

We haven't finished in the top half since 2011. We weren't even in the top flight for 3 of the years.

This is EXACTLY the sort of discourse you guys will have heard from outsiders for a decade too.

Edited by brummie

5 minutes ago, Disco said:

Absolutely no chance, he’s fucked it on that front. He’d be able to get a championship job no bother but it’s a huge step down. Doesn’t need it unless he’s mega driven to make a go of it which is hard to tell. 

Maybe I'm just dreaming as it'd be fucking hilarious, but I struggle to see him not back and managing a PL side in the not too distant future, probably via Championship. Because of fucking course more than anything. He just seems like the type to get carried way beyond where he'd legitimately be able to claim to be able to get himself. His attitude doesnt seem to me like it'd let him quit either. If he quits he fucks off and Im happy if he doesnt he'll provide hilarity for years to come. Win-win.

7 minutes ago, brummie said:

We finished 2nd in the first PL season.

Between 96 and 01 we finished 4th, 5th, 7th, 6th, 6th

O'Neill had us 6th, 6th, 6th

Even O'Leary had us 6th.

It's not about finishing in the top 7, it's about not being 17th.

We haven't finished in the top half since 2011. We weren't even in the top flight for 3 of the years.

This is EXACTLY the sort of discourse you guys will have heard from outsiders for a decade too.

His media mates might have spun it a success but I don't think anybody else would have considered it an achievement for Gerrard to just be mid-table. Which as you've pointed out is average for Villa. Notwithstanding the new finances which I'm not up on.

Thus he'd had to have done better than that and the margin was too fine, imho, for someone with his lack of experience to achieve. 

I'm not at all saying he hasn't done a poor job or that he shouldn't have been sacked I'm saying he shouldn't have taken it because the chances of doing better than average with the top 6, maybe even 7, taken was too much for him at this point.