The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

7 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

There's loads of reasons to want it to be true and the top one isn't even how shit Southgate would be there. It's that it would prove straight away that owld J-Rat ain't got the first fucking clue what he's doing. 

J-Ratshley

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Alonso is going to stay at Leverkusen. Fair play to him.

Things you love to, but very rarely these days, see.

I reckon Liverpool were desperate for him to join them. Interesting to see who they target now. RDZ?

3 minutes ago, Magpie said:

I reckon Liverpool were desperate for him to join them. Interesting to see who they target now. RDZ?

Howe

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Another German manager I think.   

They’ll want someone that has managed a decent league and European campaign.  Like a Nagelsmann.  

Possibility, especially with the uncertainty around him staying as German national coach 

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Another German manager I think.   

They’ll want someone that has managed a decent league and European campaign.  Like a Nagelsmann.  

Tuchel?

7 hours ago, Magpie said:

Whoever they bring in is likely to be a step down. Hoping for a collapse similar to when Wenger left Arsenal

2 hours ago, Pablo said:

Whoever they bring in is likely to be a step down. Hoping for a collapse similar to when Wenger left Arsenal

Please be Gerrard, please be Gerrard, please be Gerrard

1 hour ago, gjohnson said:

Please be Gerrard, please be Gerrard, please be Gerrard

I wonder if they would with Gary O'Neil as head coach 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

This is desperate from Poch

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68694784

There's a certain merit in it though.

Stats aren't everything of course but at the same time they do help paint a picture of where things could be had the dice settled differently. 

You can do all the right things but still lose on the day. It's the nature of the game. People say it's a results game and it is but at times you need to be able to look past the results and stick with a manager when things aren't going too well if you think the underlying job is good. 

This works the other way round too. Think of us every time we thought Pardew was under pressure and he'd pull out a series of wins. And that fluke 5th season. He deserves a certain amount of credit for it but we could all see it was a statistical anomaly for us to end where we did. 

See also West Ham and Moyes. The European win was great for them in terms of a trophy but they've been naff beyond that for some time but it's hard to bin a manager when he's won you something. 

West Ham are one of this seasons over performers in terms of xPTS. 

To claim they "should be 4th" is obviously silly. The league isn't going to end with everyone where they "should" be and would be boring if it was. Understat has them 6th fwiw. And us at 5th. 

Biggest over performers are Man Utd who should be 11th. If they were actually down there ETH would be gone by now. And arguably he should be already but their current league position is masking where they are. 

I’m not disagreeing with the idea that stats can indicate longer term trends that results don’t necessarily show. I actually agree that Chelsea, in the second half of the season, have looked a lot better. I just think coming out and putting it in those terms will do him no favours with Chelsea fans and it feels incredibly defensive and desperate

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I’m not disagreeing with the idea that stats can indicate longer term trends that results don’t necessarily show. I actually agree that Chelsea, in the second half of the season, have looked a lot better. I just think coming out and putting it in those terms will do him no favours with Chelsea fans and it feels incredibly defensive and desperate

Yeah agreed. There's certainly a way to articulate it and it wasn't that. 

:lol: It's so weird how half the stuff he comes out with would make me hate most other managers but I can't help but still love the mad old bastard. 

41 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Isnt that the bloke who said he definitely wasnt going there last week when the rumours started?