The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

6 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Don't know anything about the guy, is this a good appointment for them? 

Nobody knows really, he could be good, he could also be the next Villas-Boas, hopefully the latter. 

Edited by Geogaddi

5 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Don't know anything about the guy, is this a good appointment for them? 

Pretty flawless CV in Portugal but obviously big boots to fill and the PL has more competitive teams outside the top clubs. 

Always difficult to replace a force of nature manager like Klopp who has basically rebuilt the club in his image. 

Glad they’ve not got Alonso. 

Liverpool are a shitbag club, no English manager is good enough for them. Seems like they are only interested in hiring from abroad when there's clearly talented up and coming managers in our own leagues who  never get a sniff. They should have gone for proven cup winner Moyes, or if they really wanted to show they mean business, how about poaching Sean Dyche from bitter rivals Everton?

Kinda feel whoever takes over may be on a hiding to nothing. Suspect Salah and other aging players will see Klopp going as a good time to leave as well for one last payday, they feel midway through that transition anyway which is a bad time to take over. Will he get the patience as suspect the change will mean a season or two adapting and changing and that means fighting for champions league place rather than title, if that isn't good enough will he be shown door as soon as Alonso is actually available (suspect he will go to Real Madrid anyway but that never lasts forever in fairness). Having said that could be seen as a can't lose on his behalf, either he establishes himself well at top end of premier league immediately, or he fails because noone could succeed after Klopp and will no doubt get chances at other premier league clubs. 

I just feel a little for De Zerbi clearly auditioning for top premier league job by making a similar move but to brighton and gets skipped over, having said that I think De Zerbi has had a fairly mid season with Brighton so can see him being passed over a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Kinda feel whoever takes over may be on a hiding to nothing. Suspect Salah and other aging players will see Klopp going as a good time to leave as well for one last payday, they feel midway through that transition anyway which is a bad time to take over. Will he get the patience as suspect the change will mean a season or two adapting and changing and that means fighting for champions league place rather than title, if that isn't good enough will he be shown door as soon as Alonso is actually available (suspect he will go to Real Madrid anyway but that never lasts forever in fairness). Having said that could be seen as a can't lose on his behalf, either he establishes himself well at top end of premier league immediately, or he fails because noone could succeed after Klopp and will no doubt get chances at other premier league clubs. 

I just feel a little for De Zerbi clearly auditioning for top premier league job by making a similar move but to brighton and gets skipped over, having said that I think De Zerbi has had a fairly mid season with Brighton so can see him being passed over a bit. 

Salah going in the summer for whatever massive number will be helpful for any new manager in terms of affording his people to play his system so I'd say there should be no excuses, as hard as it will be for anyone to follow Klopp.

On the RDZ point, I know a few Brighton fans who are growing frustrated with him and particularly didn't appreciate his recent comments which kind of challenged the boards intentions going forwards. The guys I know are massively loyal to Bloom and Co and not to any manager thats for sure.

There is a feeling on the south coast that he's off this summer...

Edited by Minhosa

De Zerbi certainly can't be said to have done a bad job but it still seems to me that his main achievement is to consolidate what Potter had done - get them as a solid mid table team who can challenge for the European spots. 

Last season was job well done. This season there's time to achieve Europe still but very much hanging in the balance. 

I dunno. Just feels like he's talked about as if he's in the top tier yet at the same time it doesn't feel like he's had a transformative effect in the same way as Howe or Emery for instance. Different clubs, situations, etc, but I can't help but look at Brighton and think they'd be where they are or possibly higher if they still had Potter. 

6 minutes ago, Cf said:

De Zerbi certainly can't be said to have done a bad job but it still seems to me that his main achievement is to consolidate what Potter had done - get them as a solid mid table team who can challenge for the European spots. 

Last season was job well done. This season there's time to achieve Europe still but very much hanging in the balance. 

I dunno. Just feels like he's talked about as if he's in the top tier yet at the same time it doesn't feel like he's had a transformative effect in the same way as Howe or Emery for instance. Different clubs, situations, etc, but I can't help but look at Brighton and think they'd be where they are or possibly higher if they still had Potter. 

He took Brighton from 10th to 6th. Sold their 2 best players and still having a solid season.

The biggest issue with him is the occasional defensive collapse.

A bit unfair to compare him to Howe or Emery at their latest clubs. Newcastle and Villa have invested heavily into improving their squads. It's borne out in the numbers. Both teams should finish in the top 8 based on wages and the cost of the squads. Brighton are down in like 13th/14th for both.

Villa finishing 3 places above their wage bill is 4th. Brighton finishing 3 places above their wage bill is something like 10th (haven't checked). You won't get the same plaudits for what is the same accomplishment.

Bloom is probably the best owner in the PL. But he's not running that club at a loss (it seems - I haven't checked). They've made a net £140m in the transfer market over the last 2 years. I don't expect him to try and max out their FFP "budget" to try and break into the top 6/4 permanently.

Kudus rejected them in the summer and I can only assume it's because of money. Bloom's not going to chase it. So I get the frustration if there is some from RDZ.

Lad they brought in to replace Caicedo hasn't done too well either.

Although Liverpool will get a substantial fee for Salah, it’s going to be practically impossible to replace him. I mean, how can you?

His output throughout every season he’s been there has been nothing less than extraordinary.

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Although Liverpool will get a substantial fee for Salah, it’s going to be practically impossible to replace him. I mean, how can you?

His output throughout every season he’s been there has been nothing less than extraordinary.

Agreed. But they always find a way.

It's not a straight line but it's like Fowler, Owen.... Torres, Suarez, Salah.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. But they always find a way.

It's not a straight line but it's like Fowler, Owen.... Torres, Suarez, Salah.

Trying to think of replacements - Nico Williams, Bowen, Olise, Wirtz, Musiala?

Be interesting to see who they target because I’d say all of those names are way below Salah’s quality, except Musiala.

Fucking hell, I've defended Southgate a canny bit because his record is still very good with England, but fucking hell, I would shit my legs off laughing if Man United appointed him manager. There's no way that can be true, it would be incredible. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Fucking hell, I've defended Southgate a canny bit because his record is still very good with England, but fucking hell, I would shit my legs off laughing if Man United appointed him manager. There's no way that can be true, it would be incredible. :lol:

It would be absolutely superb. Cos despite his record for England, he is absolutely dogshit.

I genuinely think Bruce might be better than him. Might.....

1 minute ago, Magpie said:

It would be absolutely superb. Cos despite his record for England, he is absolutely dogshit.

And this sort of thing is how I end up reflexively defending him. :lol:

44 minutes ago, Cf said:

Feels a bit like this season under Howe tbh, Brighton seem to have been caught in a transition period. Not sure it reflects on De Zerbi necessarily, not sure what happened with Jao Pedro this season, but they still seem to be playing Wellbeck quite a lot and it feels like he's probably 10 years past his prime.

40 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:
42 minutes ago, Magpie said:

And this sort of thing is how I end up reflexively defending him. :lol:

It's the most blinkered horseshit take that routinely gets peddled on here. Proper triggers me. Sorry, Magpie. Quite aggressive. But I stand by it. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It's the most blinkered horseshit take that routinely gets peddled on here. Proper triggers me. Sorry, Magpie. Quite aggressive. But I stand by it. :lol:

You're probably spot on to be fair. But I stand by the fact that I think Southgate is just as bad 😜

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Feels a bit like this season under Howe tbh, Brighton seem to have been caught in a transition period. Not sure it reflects on De Zerbi necessarily, not sure what happened with Jao Pedro this season, but they still seem to be playing Wellbeck quite a lot and it feels like he's probably 10 years past his prime.

They've missed Mitoma massively.

Fati has also been very disappointing for them. Looks like that bad injury at Barca might have finished him as an elite-level player.

Will be interesting to see if a new manager at Liverpool tries to rebuild the team with signings to his style of play or just essentially keeps the same style Klopp has instilled. From what I gather Amorim plays 3 at the back and is relatively forward-thinking in terms of methods but quite pragmatic.

I see Edwards is back with a different job title - maybe it's part of the interviews with managers re: style etc. I was listening to the Neville podcast the other week and Ferdinand was on about when David Moyes said to him going in after Ferguson was like a new step-dad telling the kids what to do after their Father left. I can imagine it being the same at Liverpool too.

It's going to be a ridiculously hard job for anybody. If you look at their squad, it's good - aging in parts - but it's not amazing. There's amazing players in there but Klopp undoubtably squeezes every bit of talent from the 'lesser' members of the squad. A bit like Howe last season. That being said, there is an seemingly an enormous amount of younger talent coming through, with TAA an experienced member of the squad already. I do worry that injuries might become a bit more regular for him now. He's played so much football from such a young age it sadly seems inevitable. 

Lots of the players are completely suited to playing Klopp's way, which is natural when a coach has been there the best part of a decade.

It'll probably the next manager after the next manager that get's it right. It'll be the same when Pep eventually leaves City too.

I think it's hard to be critical of de zerbi for treating brighton as a stepping stone club when that is explicitly what they are, that's how they are run and how they make money and they are brilliant at it. As long as they can keep digging out gems they will be fun to watch and competing for europe, I understand why the fans are very loyal to bloom he has managed to run it as a business in such a manner it is fun to watch as well. The big however comes, there is a ceiling on how far they will go, which may be a very good ceiling, maybe they can crack top 4, but they relentlessly will have to be selling and buying, and managers will never ever love that, they can buy into it knowing its good for their career doing well under the model, but if they've done well going to a club that will keep hold of players for them and let them make more transfer decisions they may well take that (even if actually their transfer decisions will be worse...)

My point being De Zerbi has clearly been agitating for a move. I think he was probably hoping that Arteta would implode and that would come up,  or maybe even spurs. He is in with a shot of Man City when Guardiola walks but not sure on that. I don't really know what Brighton fans would be upset about though, that's kinda the deal, and the club will find another manager who will do similar so noone will lose, except possibly de zerbi when he replaces Ten Hag at Man U and everything goes wrong.

(I also think some of Brightons success has been a bit inflated by Todd Boehly flinging money at them for players worth waaaaaay less)

Edited by Tiresias

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Exactly the same , I'm not really bothered about International football but think it's staggering the amount of stick Southgate gets when you look at his tournament record . Literally the only thing preventing him winning a major tournament was a penalty shootout . At the same time it would be hilarious if he got the Man United job.

Edited by Geogaddi

2 hours ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Trying to think of replacements - Nico Williams, Bowen, Olise, Wirtz, Musiala?

Be interesting to see who they target because I’d say all of those names are way below Salah’s quality, except Musiala.

They need Darwin to "click" or Jota to stay fit and they'll replace the goals. The assists are easier to replace.

It's Klopp that's most difficult to replace.