The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Brighton appoint Fabian Hurzeler / Ten Hag to stay at Man Utd

cp40

If i was at Burnley i would feel sick. Kompany refused to adapt during premier league season leading to them having one of the worst promoted team campaigns in history, the club stick with him for the 'project' despite it being blatantly obvious kompany was prioritising his own career over them by wanting to look like he played attractive football to other clubs, and somehow that strategy worked and now Burnley got themselves relegated for little long term gain. Lesson for football administrators if your manager is refusing to fix an obvious flaw in his own team to look good while you spiral out the league maybe replace the charlatan.

I'm sure the rumoured £20m compensation will make them feel better.

Feels like when Palace paid us compensation for Pardew

12 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

If i was at Burnley i would feel sick. Kompany refused to adapt during premier league season leading to them having one of the worst promoted team campaigns in history, the club stick with him for the 'project' despite it being blatantly obvious kompany was prioritising his own career over them by wanting to look like he played attractive football to other clubs, and somehow that strategy worked and now Burnley got themselves relegated for little long term gain. Lesson for football administrators if your manager is refusing to fix an obvious flaw in his own team to look good while you spiral out the league maybe replace the charlatan.

Dont think he was ever going to stay, so weird call by them. bayern though [emoji38]

39 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Sheffield United and Luton were more pragmatic and went down anyway.

Being more pragmatic does not guarantee more success in staying up, or then building for the long term. 

Kompany has a way of playing or philosophy he believes in and sticks to that, similarly to what most top managers do.

Burnley weren't able to get him better players that could play his way at Premier League level and so it's not looking like it would have worked out there.

Like someone else mentioned McKenna should probably leave if he can, because he will likely find himself in the same type of predicament a year from now.

I mean Burnley gave him £100m to spend, and Luton still achieved more than him with a fraction of the squad available to them. Fair play to him, he's failed but landed upwards - I'm sure he can't believe his luck.

36 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

They want to find their own John Laurinitis. Good luck to them, they're going to need it.

It's fascinating.

Ashley ran us like he ran SportsDirect which was ridiculous and it seems these lot are trying to run a football club like a big 4 consultancy. 

Fucking Yanks man. 

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Like someone else mentioned McKenna should probably leave if he can, because he will likely find himself in the same type of predicament a year from now.

Is this what we really want the Championship to turn into though? Somewhere for managers to prove themselves by getting a team promoted and then jumping ship for a better job?

Kompany cruised to promotion playing a good, positive style of football. He could have gone out and signed players to adapt to a less attractive more pragmatic system in an attempt to stay up, but where’s the longevity in that? His ethos and identity were clear.. I get why he stuck to his guns, you can’t really storm the championship and then go backwards on your style in an attempt to stay in the league. Long term it’s just not going work.

Also just to make the point, we see good players often look bad in bad teams. Why don’t managers get cut the same slack? Good managers can get relegated with a below standard group of players.. I think Kompany will go on to be successful with better players at his disposal. He has all the tools, and his ideas are good.

13 minutes ago, Cf said:

Is this what we really want the Championship to turn into though? Somewhere for managers to prove themselves by getting a team promoted and then jumping ship for a better job?

No, not really, but then the clubs coming up have to figure out a way to get better players in to suit the style of play of the manager.

Kompany had assembled a good squad for the championship, it gelled well and had them playing good football. All that was needed was some pl experience brought in. 

He didn’t do that though. He did the complete opposite. He completely fkd the summer window. He removed the best players from the previous season and replaced them with unknown quantities from around Europe for lots of money (relatively speaking for Burnley).

The team didn’t even look fit enough for a PL campaign from day one. Looked like he couldn’t motivate them to get out of bed. Very strange appointment by Bayern which imo won’t last long.

2 hours ago, KaKa said:

Sheffield United and Luton were more pragmatic and went down anyway.

Being more pragmatic does not guarantee more success in staying up, or then building for the long term. 

Kompany has a way of playing or philosophy he believes in and sticks to that, similarly to what most top managers do.

Burnley weren't able to get him better players that could play his way at Premier League level and so it's not looking like it would have worked out there.

I'm not saying had to go route 1. Sheffield United sold their best players when they came up and Luton are Luton. Neither are good yardsticks for what can be expected of a promoted team. 

I'm also very much not suggesting he completely abandon the good football, sorry maybe should have clarified in that. But it's not a binary, positive attacking football or dreary dycheball. You have to accept you are going to have to be more compact if the gegenpress isn't working. I'm not saying he should have turned into Sam Allardyce, but he should have tightened things up. The same issues being present at the end of a season as at the start is a sign of poor management, not heroic sticking to principles. You can play positive attacking football in a more compact manner. You may have to sacrifice a bit of all out attack. 

I'm sorry but it just doesn't cut it 'sticking to principles'. Relegation affects peoples jobs in that club as well as the fans, hell even the career of players. Again I'm not saying has to start kicking other teams all game etc, but to not even attempt to fix the very real and very obvious problems? That screams of ego getting in the way. they stormed the championship, maybe they still go down anyway, but if I were Burnley I'd feel a lot better if I went down like Luton did, leaving no-one any doubt they gave a good go at it. 

Sorry I normally love teams like Burnley who play really good football rather than sticking everyone behind ball, but it was just so crap. 

Posted (edited)

Saw somewhere that smaller clubs playing like "top" clubs is good for the sale of players but it's also true of managers.

That's one of our mini advantages - I don't think we really play like a "top" side. We are a little more direct. We play to the strengths of the individual players within a structure. Even the level of our pressing is higher than most top teams.

That's been part of Brighton's success in selling players. Caicedo was popping balls through the lines like Rodri or Jorignho. Trossard pressing, movement, touch etc.

Edited by The College Dropout

Just found myself thinking - and this is absolutely valid for you lot too - after years of US doing the shit managerial appointments (and sackings), it is particularly pleasant to see others doing it instead. 

12 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I'm not saying had to go route 1. Sheffield United sold their best players when they came up and Luton are Luton. Neither are good yardsticks for what can be expected of a promoted team. 

I'm also very much not suggesting he completely abandon the good football, sorry maybe should have clarified in that. But it's not a binary, positive attacking football or dreary dycheball. You have to accept you are going to have to be more compact if the gegenpress isn't working. I'm not saying he should have turned into Sam Allardyce, but he should have tightened things up. The same issues being present at the end of a season as at the start is a sign of poor management, not heroic sticking to principles. You can play positive attacking football in a more compact manner. You may have to sacrifice a bit of all out attack. 

I'm sorry but it just doesn't cut it 'sticking to principles'. Relegation affects peoples jobs in that club as well as the fans, hell even the career of players. Again I'm not saying has to start kicking other teams all game etc, but to not even attempt to fix the very real and very obvious problems? That screams of ego getting in the way. they stormed the championship, maybe they still go down anyway, but if I were Burnley I'd feel a lot better if I went down like Luton did, leaving no-one any doubt they gave a good go at it. 

Sorry I normally love teams like Burnley who play really good football rather than sticking everyone behind ball, but it was just so crap. 

Screams what Rafa used to say about the blanket that’s too short. If you go attack heavy as a promoted team you get nailed in defence. Similarly if you pack the defence you have nowt up front. Your blanket won’t cover both.

For new promotes, it’s finding a balance that works. Luton came closest in terms of that pragmatism but had a poor record of going ahead and losing leads (14 times leading; 6 wins, 2 draws, 6 losses). The only two worse teams were, of course, Sheffield Utd and Burnley.

We went ahead 25 times, won 18, drew 4, lost 3 (Liverpool, Forest, City).

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

In my opinion these types of clubs need to do a better job of identifying the kind of manager they bring in then.

Some managers are completely married to their philosophy and how they play. Its less likely to bode well for a team trying to come up and stay in the Premier League if the type of play isn't as pragmatic or compact, if they are unable to get better players in when promoted, and so that was likely the mistake in the first place.

Edited by KaKa

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

YES LA… hold on mate I see what you are up to here well done mate we’ve all had a laugh. 

I would probably take a League One job to be honest lads. This talksport thing is getting stale for me. Sittin there listening to these prats calling in on the weekend. 

see ya later I guess. 

20 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Screams what Rafa used to say about the blanket that’s too short. If you go attack heavy as a promoted team you get nailed in defence. Similarly if you pack the defence you have nowt up front. Your blanket won’t cover both.

For new promotes, it’s finding a balance that works. Luton came closest in terms of that pragmatism but had a poor record of going ahead and losing leads (14 times leading; 6 wins, 2 draws, 6 losses). The only two worse teams were, of course, Sheffield Utd and Burnley.

We went ahead 25 times, won 18, drew 4, lost 3 (Liverpool, Forest, City).

Yeah I think Rafa spoke a lot of sense, and I also profoundly disagree with anyone that says Rafa was too negative, he did definitely go caution first but he also changed, his last season was classic, first half we were functional and not especially exciting, but second half we were a counter attacking team but we were a good counter attacking team, not just hoying balls aimlessly.

Felt with Rafa that he took a little time to find out what worked best, but he'd tinker a bit and find a good system. Which is probably the sign of a good manager.

8 minutes ago, Checko said:

Felt with Rafa that he took a little time to find out what worked best, but he'd tinker a bit and find a good system. Which is probably the sign of a good manager.

I think second half of his last season maybe. First two and a half you knew what you were going to get. Played the Championship season with the same sort of system he used back in the Premier League. Still convinced that first season was used almost like an "apprenticeship" so the players knew exactly what their roles were and how to set up when we were back in the PL.