The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Guest palnese

Pretty disappointed about them getting Garde like, was counting on them as relegation fodder. His gritty Carlisle days should come in useful for the battle ahead.

They'll be down there come May unless they improve their squad in Jan.

Do we want Garde to do well then, or not? I'd love to see Villa sink but at the same time it's going to be a bit annoying if it's a potentially exciting appointment like Garde taking them down. Media will probably give him dogs abuse and our club will feel vindicated they didn't bother with him and went for McClaren.

As a man in his late 40s, I am fully behind any manager in his late 40s who can carry off a combination of smart jacket, jumper, nice shirt, jeans and a pair of Adidas on the touchline.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03158/remigarde_3158676b.jpg

He's going to FREAK OUT when he sees the Adidas store on New Street.

"He said DRIIIT and I'm about to FREAK OUT!"

There's no doubt we are in a tricky situation, but some of the hyperbole in the media is absurd.

Fact is:

- we're four points from a non-relegation place. Four points. That's nothing.

- we are losing matches, but on the bright side, we're not getting hammered. We've only (I think) lost a couple of matches by two goals, all the others have been one goal.

- anyone who watches us with any regularity will know we have some decent players. They're just either getting used badly, or not used at all. Monday great example. Gil and Amavi on the bench, FFS. Ridiculous.

Had we persisted with Sherwood for a couple months longer, we'd have been fucked. We haven't, though, amazingly.

I am no partisan fantasist unable to see the problems we have, but to suggest the situation is irretrievable when we're a week into November and the points difference is so small, and when there are plenty other shit teams around, all that is well over the top.

What Garde needs to do is take the following: Agbonlahor, Richardson, Westwood, Guzan, Lescott, have them shot and throw their lifeless bodies into a very deep quarry.

Instant improvement.

There's no way Sherwood or anyone would ever get this squad into the top six, but by the same measure, there's no way it should be in the bottom three. For once, and it may be brief, I am confident that we've started to make sensible decisions.

You can ask pretty much any Villa fan you want what he thought the problem was - the manager or the signings - and they'd all have chosen the manager.

The fact is, the signings have mostly looked decent. Even Jordan Ayew, for example, has contributed more in a handful of matches than Agbonlahor has in a handful of seasons.

I really rate Amavi, Gestede is dangerous if you use him properly (though useless if not), Veretout has shown he is a proper passer of the ball, Gueye is a decent Delph replacement, all these players have shown real promise. The problem is they're not going to achieve anything if constantly rotated in and out of the squad as Sherwood did.

The whole thing of the British media falling in line behind Sherwood makes me want to vomit. Supporting him for not being able to sign Townsend, Adebayor and Aaron Lennon? How many clubs fans would be disappointed with not being able to vomit up large amounts of money for three knackers like that? Spurs wanted 14m for Townsend. That's *exactly* the sort of witless signing that has got us where we are the last few years.

There's no doubt we are in a tricky situation, but some of the hyperbole in the media is absurd.

Fact is:

- we're four points from a non-relegation place. Four points. That's nothing.

- we are losing matches, but on the bright side, we're not getting hammered. We've only (I think) lost a couple of matches by two goals, all the others have been one goal.

- anyone who watches us with any regularity will know we have some decent players. They're just either getting used badly, or not used at all. Monday great example. Gil and Amavi on the bench, FFS. Ridiculous.

Had we persisted with Sherwood for a couple months longer, we'd have been f***ed. We haven't, though, amazingly.

I am no partisan fantasist unable to see the problems we have, but to suggest the situation is irretrievable when we're a week into November and the points difference is so small, and when there are plenty other s*** teams around, all that is well over the top.

What Garde needs to do is take the following: Agbonlahor, Richardson, Westwood, Guzan, Lescott, have them shot and throw their lifeless bodies into a very deep quarry.

Instant improvement.

There's no way Sherwood or anyone would ever get this squad into the top six, but by the same measure, there's no way it should be in the bottom three. For once, and it may be brief, I am confident that we've started to make sensible decisions.

You can ask pretty much any Villa fan you want what he thought the problem was - the manager or the signings - and they'd all have chosen the manager.

The fact is, the signings have mostly looked decent. Even Jordan Ayew, for example, has contributed more in a handful of matches than Agbonlahor has in a handful of seasons.

I really rate Amavi, Gestede is dangerous if you use him properly (though useless if not), Veretout has shown he is a proper passer of the ball, Gueye is a decent Delph replacement, all these players have shown real promise. The problem is they're not going to achieve anything if constantly rotated in and out of the squad as Sherwood did.

The whole thing of the British media falling in line behind Sherwood makes me want to vomit. Supporting him for not being able to sign Townsend, Adebayor and Aaron Lennon? How many clubs fans would be disappointed with not being able to vomit up large amounts of money for three knackers like that? Spurs wanted 14m for Townsend. That's *exactly* the sort of witless signing that has got us where we are the last few years.

Have to agree with the basic thread of your post, Brummie - look at the pasting NUFC got at Man C and even the Sunderland game was a hammering in terms of goals conceded, so you are right to say that you haven't lost by many goals in your defeats because its something to build on. As far as I'm concerned, NUFC have far more serious issues, esp in defence after signing Coloccini on another contract instead of replacing him with a top class CB - he is going to get worse as time goes on and we shall be exposed by his lack of pace and no amount of coaching can improve THAT....

In addition, Garde has a slightly better environment in which to work than has McClaren because Charnley will be making all the decisions in terms of buying players in Jan, along with Carr whilst McClaren will have little input.

If Villa show any improvement over the next few games, they have just as much chance of escaping the drop as NUFC - maybe even more.

Time will tell.....