NUFC Fans Forum - No interest in winning cups

Crumpy Gunt

I'm saving you further embarrassment, man. You just completley flipped your argument there, when you ran into a dead end.

I didn't flip anything, that's your trait.

:lol: You didn't, eh?

We do try in the cups though. :lol:

Last year we were bunkum again against Brighton, and went out against ManU, but to say we didn't try to win the Euro Cup is bullshit imho.

We didn't try to win the UEFA, we tried to go as far as we could but I have seen nothing to suggest that we tried to win it.

To:

You said you saw no evidence of us trying to win a cup, man. Qualifying from your group, and winning knockout games is about the only evidence you need.

It was a daft statement.

We were playing mostly inferior teams, it's not as if we had to do a lot to get out of the group.

What's wrong with that?

Guest icemanblue

I'm saving you further embarrassment, man. You just completley flipped your argument there, when you ran into a dead end.

I didn't flip anything, that's your trait.

:lol: You didn't, eh?

We do try in the cups though. :lol:

Last year we were bunkum again against Brighton, and went out against ManU, but to say we didn't try to win the Euro Cup is bullshit imho.

We didn't try to win the UEFA, we tried to go as far as we could but I have seen nothing to suggest that we tried to win it.

To:

You said you saw no evidence of us trying to win a cup, man. Qualifying from your group, and winning knockout games is about the only evidence you need.

It was a daft statement.

We were playing mostly inferior teams, it's not as if we had to do a lot to get out of the group.

What's wrong with that?

Do I really need to spell it out for you? Your original argument was that you saw no evidence of us trying to win that cup. I, and others, pointed out that was bollocks, as we were clearly trying to progress and doing a decent job of it. So then you flip your argument to say that we had a shit group, etc., anyway. Completely moving away from your original point.

Guest icemanblue

I thought you said you had a girlfriend ?

:lol: I do. I challenge anyone not to be driven to the brink of insanity by any kind of argumentative exchange with Old Man Mick.

Do I really need to spell it out for you? Your original argument was that you saw no evidence of us trying to win that cup. I, and others, pointed out that was bollocks, as we were clearly trying to progress and doing a decent job of it. So then you flip your argument to say that we had a s*** group, etc., anyway. Completely moving away from your original point.

Things had moved on, that was a different argument.  :lol:

Do you castigate dyslexic children for below average performance?

All the time mate.

The home tie ended up looking OK for the closing stages of the game after we scored but we were lucky not to have conceded before then, we let them have the ball to attack us at will for nearly 3/4 of the match.

I never meantioned anything about the first game, I thought we looked great especially in the first half and were obviously unlucky not to have taken the lead a couple of times. I preferred that mentality much more than I did the one at home.

An all out attacking mentality at home when you are two goals down, but have the advantage of an away goal doesn't make much sense though. Especially if the team opposing has the quality of Benfica. I agree with Pardew's approach, but due to our personnel and his failings elsewhere, we didn't have ability or intelligence to play well enough on the counter while completely shutting them out. Still, it did work for all intents, and the introduction of a half-fit, slightly fat Hatem did change things.

I never said that we should have went all out attack?

We're definitely the only side I've ever seen go into the 2nd leg of a cup tie with the intention of sitting on a 2 goal deficit for 70 minutes, though.

Guest icemanblue

Do I really need to spell it out for you? Your original argument was that you saw no evidence of us trying to win that cup. I, and others, pointed out that was bollocks, as we were clearly trying to progress and doing a decent job of it. So then you flip your argument to say that we had a s*** group, etc., anyway. Completely moving away from your original point.

Things had moved on, that was a different argument.  :lol:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq318/meercy/GIFS/Disgust.gif

Should have left it at 'shut up'.

All the time mate.

The home tie ended up looking OK for the closing stages of the game after we scored but we were lucky not to have conceded before then, we let them have the ball to attack us at will for nearly 3/4 of the match.

I never meantioned anything about the first game, I thought we looked great especially in the first half and were obviously unlucky not to have taken the lead a couple of times. I preferred that mentality much more than I did the one at home.

An all out attacking mentality at home when you are two goals down, but have the advantage of an away goal doesn't make much sense though. Especially if the team opposing has the quality of Benfica. I agree with Pardew's approach, but due to our personnel and his failings elsewhere, we didn't have ability or intelligence to play well enough on the counter while completely shutting them out. Still, it did work for all intents, and the introduction of a half-fit, slightly fat Hatem did change things.

We're definitely the only side I've ever seen go into the 2nd leg of a cup tie with the intention of sitting on a 2 goal deficit for 70 minutes, though.

:D

Irrespective of it's contextual accuracy that really is a cracking line.

All the time mate.

Perfect description. The approach staggered me. What made it worse was they actually looked really vulnerable when we attacked and only scored when desperation left us bereft defensively at the end. Had we have been more positive earlier we could've progressed though that's hypothetical now.

We did for about 20 minutes in the home leg, the other 70 was f***ing pathetic.

We put out the full first team squad in Portugal, and then essentially put out the full first team with the exception of Ben Arfa (who came on late and was returning from injury) in the second one.

We played very admirably in the first leg until we collapsed after Santon gifted them a goal, and Pardew's strategy, however misguided, saw us attacking at home with a chance to win the tie in the final twenty minutes against a team that was superior.

People need to differentiate between not trying and simply not being good enough. Do you castigate dyslexic children for below average performance?

No, but you can question the parents when they do not provide the kid with the best possible chance to succeed, by enrolling them for extra classes for example.

You're a total prick like. :lol:

Mick may come across that way but deep down he's a canny lad and his heart is in the right place.

:lol:

Thanks, I think.

First part was merely an attempt at a joke mate, as his post (inadvertently) came directly after yours.

Second part is the truth.  ;)

Just getting through the notes from the meeting - it's so depressing how much ambition we lack.

I know we'll never compete with the likes of Man Utd but using it as an excuse as to why our advertising income is so little ffs.

Don't even get me started on the total disrespect of the cup competitions.

Not surprised at all - it'what many of us have known for some time. Am amazed that some still refuse to see it though.

One question - where is all of the income going to go (TV money) if Ashley only wants the 'loan' back if and when he sells? Sounds fishy to me.