NUFC Fans Forum - No interest in winning cups

Crumpy Gunt

Brett, you are also completely ignoring how strong their squad and their youth setup is. It's not because you haven't heard of some of them that they won't be regular starters for them in a season or two. Therefore their base level is on average much higher than our squad fillers and youth players.

Doesn't every Premiership club prioritise the League over the cups?

unless its Newcastle who blatantly admit it in a public domain and for me that is inexcusable and frankly a kick in the teeth to all paying fans ,boycotting is the only way to show him we will not tolerate it anymore .

What's there to admit? Every Premiership club has the League as its priority and will rest players during the cups. We all know that.

Why demand honesty from the club and then complain when you get it?

unless its Newcastle who blatantly admit it in a public domain and for me that is inexcusable and frankly a kick in the teeth to all paying fans ,boycotting is the only way to show him we will not tolerate it anymore .

What's there to admit? Every Premiership club has the League as its priority and will rest players during the cups. We all know that.

But does being honest about it excuse what the answer is?

We are exactly the same with this cups thing. Look at our side at home to Spurs this week. It's all a bit depressing really.

It also makes me laugh when clubs say they're concentrating on the league as if they're doing it in the way Man United or Chelsea might, ie with a view to winning it, rather than finishing 10th versus 14th.

I went to one (losing) cup final in recent years and I know every single person who was there  will remember it far longer than they will finishing 10th one year rather than 14th.

It is the depressing result of the money culture brought about by things like the CL and the arrival of horrible oligarchs and Arab regimes with money to burn that has meant clubs like you or us and many others can't hope to actually challenge to win the league any more, but not bothering to try to win cups is the fault of nobody but the clubs concerned themselves and is inexcusable.

It's the commercial side that is very worrying to me. To basically state that the ground is covered in the tatty sports infect shite because they would be blank is fucking astonishing

so no one basically wants to advertise their organisation at the 3rd biggest stadium in the premier league.....what a load of bullshit

The club is being used as a free advertising vessel for this cunts main business interests

A Matthew Harding type scenario is what I wish for most with Ashley.....is that too much to ask for

We are exactly the same with this cups thing. Look at our side at home to Spurs this week. It's all a bit depressing really.

It also makes me laugh when clubs say they're concentrating on the league as if they're doing it in the way Man United or Chelsea might, ie with a view to winning it, rather than finishing 10th versus 14th.

I went to one (losing) cup final in recent years and I know every single person who was there  will remember it far longer than they will finishing 10th one year rather than 14th.

It is the depressing result of the money culture brought about by things like the CL and the arrival of horrible oligarchs and Arab regimes with money to burn that has meant clubs like you or us and many others can't hope to actually challenge to win the league any more, but not bothering to try to win cups is the fault of nobody but the clubs concerned themselves and is inexcusable.

:clap:

Totally agree with brummie. It's not the fault of any particular club, it's the game of football that has allowed PL survival to be so incredibly valuable.

Brummie is actually saying that the behaviour of the clubs is inexcusable, regardless of the context of their decision.

Your point is correct though. The financial penalties for relegation or missing out on the CL (if that’s what you’ve budgeted for) are huge. Until that situation changes, we can expect clubs to be very risk-averse.

Thirty or so years ago, the game was played at a different pace and the demands on players’ fitness weren’t as great. Teams could play in midweek without putting themselves at as big a disadvantage at the weekend, as is now the case. That’s another factor.

Given that all the club has done here is be honest about a situation that openly affects every club in the Premiership, I found the general reaction here a bit annoying.

Spot on, unless a club is going to challenge for the league or fight relegation they should be looking to do well in the cups.  I can't understand any so called supporter sticking up for the club on this matter.

Totally agree with brummie. It's not the fault of any particular club, it's the game of football that has allowed PL survival to be so incredibly valuable.

Brummie is actually saying that the behaviour of the clubs is inexcusable, regardless of the context of their decision.

Your point is correct though. The financial penalties for relegation or missing out on the CL (if that’s what you’ve budgeted for) are huge. Until that situation changes, we can expect clubs to be very risk-averse.

Thirty or so years ago, the game was played at a different pace and the demands on players’ fitness weren’t as great. Teams could play in midweek without putting themselves at as big a disadvantage at the weekend, as is now the case. That’s another factor.

Given that all the club has done here is be honest about a situation that openly affects every club in the Premiership, I found the general reaction here a bit annoying.

Ah right, slightly misunderstood. Anyway, it is the state of the game that should be in question, seems weird to blame any individual club for their approach when it has basically been forced on them.

Ah right, slightly misunderstood. Anyway, it is the state of the game that should be in question, seems weird to blame any individual club for their approach when it has basically been forced on them.

It's not being forced on any club, it's a choice made by our club and that's why some do blame our club.

nailed it - the league is beyond 70% of the teams in it before a ball is kicked, to not try in the cups is a piss take tbh

nailed it - the league is beyond 70% of the teams in it before a ball is kicked, to not try in the cups is a p*ss take tbh

It's more confirmation of what most expected anyway.  We have no ambition to do anything other than to stay in the division, that is now beyond doubt.

nailed it - the league is beyond 70% of the teams in it before a ball is kicked, to not try in the cups is a piss take tbh

We do try in the cups though. :lol:

Last year we were bunkum again against Brighton, and went out against ManU, but to say we didn't try to win the Euro Cup is bullshit imho.

Last year we were bunkum again against Brighton, and went out against ManU, but to say we didn't try to win the Euro Cup is bullshit imho.

It doesn't matter how many times you say this mate, everyone will still keep complaining.

We have turned in some shit performances recently obviously, and been knocked out by some rubbish teams.

We didn't try to win the UEFA, we tried to go as far as we could but I have seen nothing to suggest that we tried to win it.

Guest icemanblue

We didn't try to win the UEFA, we tried to go as far as we could but I have seen nothing to suggest that we tried to win it.

Were we just winning games for a laugh, like?

That time when we put 20 minutes attacking effort in against Benfica instead of trying to win over the 90 was genuinely trying to win the Waffa was it ?

"we tried to go as far as we could"

Well, in a cup competition, that is pretty much all I ask. :lol:

We could have won it, we tried to win our games, we failed.

Guest icemanblue

Were we just winning games for a laugh, like?

Aye, that's what I meant.  :lol:

Wey, what did you mean by 'I have seen nothing to suggest that we tried to win it', then? Winning games is usually the key indicator of your intentions in a cup.

"we tried to go as far as we could"

Well, in a cup competition, that is pretty much all I ask.

We could have won it, we tried, we failed.

We took on more games without investing in the squad because we wanted to win it, aye, right.