2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can't wait another day for this ffs.

Biggest competition and highest standard of football imo.

Biggest and most important no doubt, but not sure it has a higher quality than the Champions League tbh although it is far more exciting.

In terms of international competitions, it's still eclipsed by the Euros in that regard. IMO.

But yeah, it doesn't get any better than this.

In terms of international competitions, it's still eclipsed by the Euros in that regard. IMO.

I'm not sure the Euro eclipses it tbh. I think the World Cup has shown recently that teams all over the world are much closer to the UEFA now than they used too in terms of quality. I mean sure group stages the Euros is stronger but that's also because it's only 16 teams, but compare the quarter-finals in the WC to the quarter-finals in the Euros and I think the standard in the WC is much better.

I'm not sure the Euro eclipses it tbh. I think the World Cup has shown recently that teams all over the world are much closer to the UEFA now than they used too in terms of quality. I mean sure group stages the Euros is stronger but that's also because it's only 16 teams, but compare the quarter-finals in the WC to the quarter-finals in the Euros and I think the standard in the WC is much better.

The Euros though only had 16 teams so there were few weak teams in the groups which is why it was always perceived to be a higher standard.  That will probably not be the case so much in the future with the expansion to 24 teams.

Guest Roger Kint

Ha, I had that during the last world cup. Pain in the arse. Missed so much for fucking minimum wage slave labour.

I worked nigh on 2/3 of the last three World Cups. At least i get to put the matches on my computer and pretend to work through the games. Wont miss a single game this year :megusta:

Guest Roger Kint

5pm kick offs and living only 10 minutes away from my megatron TV will be fantastic :kurt:

Think i will be spending every single 5pm game in the pub, going to be an expensive month

Agreed. Naturally, there's more diversity in styles of play.

5pm games on ITV are ok cos you can just put on ITV+1 when you get in from work, then when it finishes you are ready for the 8pm game to start and you don't have to put up with the garbage from Adrian Chiles!! 

Guest Roger Kint

5pm games on ITV are ok cos you can just put on ITV+1 when you get in from work, then when it finishes you are ready for the 8pm game to start and you don't have to put up with the garbage from Adrian Chiles!! 

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/087/clvrgrl.jpg

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/087/clvrgrl.jpg

:lol: Absolutely, that's a great way to do it.

Biggest and most important no doubt, but not sure it has a higher quality than the Champions League tbh although it is far more exciting.

Quality is subjective - I'd agree that the CL is better in terms of entertainment and even the cohesion of teams in an attacking sense (I imagine it to be much harder to get a team playing good football when the players have barely played together competitively and only have a month to get to know each other, compared to at club level where they spend years playing with each other every week). But I think the standards are higher, or at the very least on a par with the final stages of the CL, at the World Cup, especially beyond the group stage when the crappier teams from the weaker continents are knocked out, because every game is effectively a CL final for those players who've dreamt of this moment. This is the level at which national heroes tend to be made, and everyone will be, or try to be, at the absolute top of their game because of the expectations, the buildup, the profile, the status that can be achieved by playing well, etc etc.

On top of this, whilst there are better functioning teams at club level and arguably some better first teams, I think the top international squads have a depth that is rarely matched at club levels, especially in traditionally overlooked areas like defense. Most of the elite clubs in the CL actually have pretty thin squads in one area or another, e.g. Barcelona at their peak (arguably the best club side ever) playing with midfielders at the back due to their only two first choice centrebacks being injured. Alot of these World Cup squads are filled with experienced solid-to-great players in nearly every position, and there tends to be very few genuine weaknesses - injuries often aren't as debilitating at international level as they are at club level because of this depth. Just look at Spain's midfield squad for example, I doubt there has ever been a midfield squad at club level with that degree of depth as noone would have the budget for it or the ability to attract 9 players of that standard (and keep them happy). In addition to this, there are always some poorer nations where at club level they are unable to do anything, yet have national teams that are surprisingly exceptionally solid and far better than the "equivalent" CL teams (e.g. Uruguay, Mexico, Turkey, etc, compared to Ajax, Brugge, Panathinaikos, etc etc, in terms of CL sides from weaker nations). I'd view it as the World Cup having more "Simeone's Atletico Madrid" type teams than the CL does - it's very hard to perform against solid teams with a decent gameplan, a team with no weaknesses where everyone is trying their absolute best.

Whilst I appreciate there will be opposing views here and there are always exceptions (e.g. Miroslav Klose being a goalscoring machine in the World Cup), I also think the World Cup is a much harder stage for attacking players to perform in, especially the bigger names who are likely to get singled out and focused on. Alot of the genuinely great World Cup performances in recent times have been by centrebacks who've given their all, and many of the flops tend to be attacking players who are club level greats able to freely do what they want at domestic/CL level yet struggle to even get into the game on the World Cup stage. I think this has as much to do with the above two points made as it has to do with crap managers, tactics, roles, etc.

I am going soon!  :cheesy: Cant wait until I get down there :) Semi final ticket in Belo Horisonte and 1/8 finals ticket in Rio. Some of my friends have even have tickets for the final.

Guest neesy111

I am going soon!  :cheesy: Cant wait until I get down there :) Semi final ticket in Belo Horisonte and 1/8 finals ticket in Rio. Some of my friends have even have tickets for the final.

Have a good time.

Flip with an opinion on LITERALLY EVERYTHING in this thread